What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good GA friendly airport near Knoxville, TN?

Mark Burns

Well Known Member
One of my granddaughters is in DC with her other grandparents for two weeks.
My son is planning to meet them halfway (driving) for her return to Louisiana.
8 hours each way for him!

When I heard this I offered to fly over and pick her up. I thought I would go a bit past halfway (Chattanooga) and land near Knoxville.

I've tentatively chosen KDKX Knoxville Downtown Island and wanted to ask here for any comments about KDKX or other recommendations.

Thanks!
Mark

KDKX is a fine stopping place. KMOR is my home base. Good for a stop with the exception of fuel prices on the field. Highest around :(

One of my granddaughters is in DC with her other grandparents for two weeks.

When I heard this I offered to fly over and pick her up. I thought I would go a bit past halfway (Chattanooga) and land near Knoxville.

I've tentatively chosen KDKX Knoxville Downtown Island and wanted to ask here for any comments about KDKX or other recommendations.

Thanks!
Mark

Knoxville Downtown is a good choice. Gatlinburg - Pigeon Forge is pretty good too. It has a nice aviation museum onsite.

Mark,

I've been to downtown Knoxville Airport but didn't fly in. Stopped there once while II was driving in the area just to check it out. It's a nice airport and friendly people but seemed like it was a little out of the way to get too.
We've also flown into Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge Airport (gkt) last fall. It is also a very nice Airport with friendly and very helpful people wit a fairy new rrally nice fbo. They had our rental car right up by the airplane just after shutdown. Also an air museum on the field. The Smoky Mountains is a great place to stay for a couple days and sightsee. Pigeon Forge has some inexpensive hotels.
Don't think you can go wrong with either airport

Cal

I've flown into KDKX a few times and the FBO staff is very accommodating. The only minor nit is that to reach the airport via car, you have to wind through an unmarked (no "airport" signs) residential area. It's very easy to get lost in there without a GPS (ask me how I know).

The Swift Foundation museum is on KMMI near Athens TN (midway between Chattanooga & Knoxville). Collection has the prototype, and even an armed Buckaroo fighter (Buckaroo was in the running with the original Beech Mentor as the USA's next trainer a/c. Legend has it that it beat the Mentor & the other a/c in the competition, but politics & money favored the Beech.)
http://swiftmuseumfoundation.org/

It was a nice little airport the last time I was there, but it was over 20 years ago.

Charlie

KDKX

If you go to down town island, get the courtesy car and have lunch at Calhounes by the river.

[/B]QUOTE=Mark Burns;1182819]One of my granddaughters is in DC with her other grandparents for two weeks.

Thanks!
Mark[/QUOTE]

Calhoun's

Calhoun's Knoxville

blO5q2.jpg

Back