What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WAAS GPS for IFR Approaches

I have a non WAAS 430 coupled to a single GRT HX. You can shoot a GPS approach and have the synthetic approach in the EFIS armed. When at the final approach fix just execute the synthetic approach and you are now tracking laterally with the 430 and vertically with the GRT. Can only go to standard dive and drive minimums, but you can do it fully coupled with flight director and autopilot without the dive and drive. Using the GRT in this way makes approaches very safe, relatively simple, and only requires a non WAAS IFR navigator.

Thank you for that. I've got an AFS4500, AFS 2 axis autopilot & a non-WAAS 430 waiting to fly & I was getting worried that it wouldn't fly a fully coupled approach, until your post.

Thank you for that. I've got an AFS4500, AFS 2 axis autopilot & a non-WAAS 430 waiting to fly & I was getting worried that it wouldn't fly a fully coupled approach, until your post.

Be very careful. The synthetic approach is a 3 deg glide slope; but it knows nothing about terrain avoidance. You must at no time violate the actual (LNAV) approach step down altitudes or minimums.

Back