Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Seems like it's been a long time... in fact it has been.

The things I've done in the last month are small stuff. I'm getting ready to attach the next long side skin, and while it's still off, wanted to do some of the smaller stuff. These are things like riveting those bulkhead flanges that I made to the bulkhead's webs. These are finally done, along with a few less exciting things.

Since I'm waiting on a few things before gluing the side skin (it's the right one this time), I started on the belly skins under the seat. There are two of these, F-322, and they overlap both the spar bulkhead and the seat bulkhead, with two rows of rivets each. Drawing 23 shows most of the rivets, with Drawing 24, section A-A, as a supplement. Still, the rivets between the F-304 bulkhead, that short one in between the two center seat ribs, and the skin aren't mentioned anywhere that I could find. Here's a top view of the seat structure from Drawing 24, showing the bulkhead. Not being the bottom view, the rivets that are shown don't apply to the external skins.

I've been locating and drilling holes in the fuselage frame under the seat and in the skin. The right-hand skin there is now mostly drilled and clecoed. It needs some trimming, and yes, I know not to cut out the skin in the area aft of the rear spar.

I've been going so slowly that I thought a bit of motivation might be appropriate. I know that a lot of us put up photos of similar airplanes or sketches of paint schemes that they like. Other people display model airplanes... the list is long. Since I like, never, pay much attention to self-help posters, it occurred to me that the back cover of the 2017 Van's Aircraft calendar might be just the thing. By the way, friends, that cutaway RV sketch in the background is an early view of an RV-3, just as it should be.

We'll see if it speeds things up.

In case these photos disappear, perhaps the alternate photo hosting might continue to work. Perhaps. Worth a try in that event. Here are duplicates of these images:

Last edited by David Paule : 01-17-2018 at 06:44 PM.