What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Archer Antenna - L or R Wingtip?

larrynew

Well Known Member
I'm putting a Bob Archer VOR antenna in a wingtip. Which side do most folks use? I have to specifiy right or left when ordering. I'll have a Dynon heated pitot in the left wing and a Dynon Roll Servo in the right if that affects my decision.

Thanks,

Don't know that it makes any difference. I have the Dynon stuff also and put mine in the left. It works fine.

I put mine in the left tip, so when I fly a perfect ILS the aircraft centerline is offset by one wing's span to the right, so I can look out the left side window and see the approach lights! -:)

Seriously, it makes no difference. Choose by which side has the most room, or has the easiest or shortest run, for the RG400.

One exception: if you plan to put an HID or LED light in just one wingtip. These lights have been known to generate some RF interference, so put the antenna in the other tip from one of these lights. I recently installed a Duckworth HID in the same tip as my Archer clone COM antenna, and, at maximum range, I can hear the extra noise.

As I recall ....

.... The Archer instructions say to install the antenna on the bottom of the wingtip. it's asymmetric shape then fits better in one tip than the other. Going from memory -and w/o access to my build records right now - I think my VOR is in the R wing and my marker beacon antenna in the left. I too have a heated pitot on the left and a roll servo in the right. All said devices work great.

Why not in the same wing as the AP Servo? That is my current plan. My other wing has the heated pitot and the remote compass. Just looking to learn.

Back