What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help Convince Me

randyintejas

Well Known Member
I am ordering my wings and fuse kits next week. I have 720 hours in nose wheel aircraft but, after reading all the post on VAF about Tail Draggers I?m now on the fence. I have my Emp for my 7 done and ready to move forward so, the facts seem to be..
1. Faster. No nose gear to drag around
2. More interior space. No weld mounts in the way
3. More capable of landing on grass strips
4. Lower to the ground so, easier to load and enter.
5. Easier to install and remove cowl
I have also just discovered that Alex at Eagles Nest is just hour and a half from my house for training.

What else am I missing?

I do enjoy a good can of worms. ;)

Think of all the neat airplanes you are denying yourself the ability to fly by not building an airplane you can gain this valuable experience with.

What else am I missing?

Tougher to see objects on the taxiway...........that shouldn't be there..:eek:

Seems that a Pitts that I use to fly, and an RV9 had a common problem with tractors that pull airplanes around. The Pitts was returned to the factory for repairs, and the 9 went back to it's factory........also.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

What else am I missing?

I do enjoy a good can of worms. ;)

Insurance rate differential. Conventional wisdom is that there are two kinds of tail dragger pilots, those who have ground looped and those who are going to. While I know us RV types are special, the conventional wisdom is not without some basis.

Tail draggers look cool.

I am building an 8 and recently got my tail wheel endorsement in a Pietenpol. I also learned how to repair a wood and fabric airplane thanks to a not so great landing. But I am having a blast flying the Piet.

pdj

Tail draggers look cool.

All depends. I like WWII military paint schemes. So yes, the 8 looks cool as a tail dragger. But when I compare a nose wheel retractable Glasair to the tail dragger version, the retract wins by a mile. Both in the air, and on the ground. A 7 can be either...........since it's wings are a bit longer than a squatting dog 6... :D

And yes, I know a tail dragger pilot who has damaged two...as of now.

L.Adamson --- RV6A, would like an Aviat Husky & Cessna Citation 10

good point. what is the insurance rate difference?

Zero, zilch, nadda.

Radomir and I started flying our planes at the same time and had the same TT, but I had a little over 100 hours TW.

He had a -7A, I had my -9, and our insurance rates were the same (when the different insured hull values were taken into account).

It wouldn't surprise me if the rate of "A" tip-overs and non-A ground loops are the same. Meaning, very few for both models and thus the insurance differential is not there.

With either model, you will pay more the first year and then expect your rate to drop once you get 100 hours in type.

Hopefully one of the insurance guys who frequent this board will speak up on the subject.

Go for it

At just under a few thousand hours in tricycle retracts I felt I needed a challenge so I ordered the -7. I havent even flown in a vans or any tail wheel aircraft yet but what the heck they look cool. I also feel with proper training any competent pilot should be able to handle any tail wheel. The 7A nose gear takes interior room, looks odd, weak and just plane goofy to me.

Don't forget the sexy factor! The 7's stance is sexier than the -A IMHO anyways. Chicks dig sexy! :D
If she digs aviation, then any plane is appealing. If she isn't into aviation, what are you doing with her?

Note: The women in my life all like airplanes. I am indeed blessed.

When I was in the decision phase I remember talking to Ken Scott about it. He asked what my prior experience was. Thousands of hours in one type, zero in the other. That answered my question on what to build. Hope that helps, Glenn

Conventional wisdom is that there are two kinds of tail dragger pilots, those who have ground looped and those who are going to.

There are two types of Vans "A" pilots: Those who have flipped over, and those desperately holding that stick back every landing hoping not to.

:D

I for one love the looks of the RV 7 and that is the way I am going to head.

I have been doing a lot of researching while building my empenage kit.

I have the HS primed and ready to put together and the VS in the prime booth as of tonight. Hopefully by this weekend both will be finished and I will start on the Elevators and rudder.

It's has been a long time since I flew tail draggers but I did have about 2500 in draggers from luscombe's to Beech G18S which I flew in the late 70's on a cargo run for 6 hours a night for 2 years. Have always loved draggers but my corporate job they only have nose wheels.

I am right behind you... in the build. Starting this a little later in life than I wish.. Lord knows I should have been more diligent about getting my personal plane many years ago.

Best wishes which ever way you go, I am sure you'll be happy.

Smilin' Jack

Do what you want

I have nothing against either version. They both have their detractions (already raised) but the attractions are more subjective. They fly the same in the air, barring a knot or two in favor of the tail draggers. Don't let either camp scare you. Lots of buzz on nose wheel dangers for flip overs, but also a lot of them that seem to have no problems. The tailwheel dangers are easily identified (similar to tailwheel challenges since the beginning of flying).

The only thing I don't like seeing is someone choosing a nose wheel option purely because they have never flown a tailwheel (the opposite doesn't seem to occur), even though they would like a tailwheel. Both are valid options for pretty much anyone, IMHO.

You will spend way more hours building than it would ever take to transition into either configuration. Pick what revs your motor!

Go get a tailwheel checkout from a good TW instructor and then decide. A good instructor will have you flying on the crosswind days once your ready and won't give you the endosement until you have those crosswinds comfortably under control.

Just like your nose wheel training, it will take some practice to increase your ability to handle the higher crosswind components. But you can build up to that. It's alot of fun learning and the TW time will teach you to handle both types of aircraft with more landing precision. It's a win win situation.

The TW RV's are a bit more well behaved than some of the TW aircraft but poor pilot technique is what will usually cause the aluminum to get scraped up, not the gear configuration.

Perhaps getting checked out in a cub or 140 first and then if your sold on the TW, get some instruction in a TW RV to make the final decision. You'll have a blast. Watch the taildraggers at your local airport when the wind kicks up. That will take some of the scare factor out as you watch the landings and takeoffs. Everyone does just fine.

They are both great optoins, and it is your choice.

If you choose to go tailwheel, do yourself a big favor and get some time in an antique or classic dragger, something that makes you work for each landing, coordinate your turns, keep your ailerons and elevator in the correct position while taxiing in wind, embarras you when you get stuck weathervaned into the wind, and a host of other "techniques" required of those machines. RV's are really, really forgiving tail wheel airplanes, right up to the point that they bite you!
The skills you can learn will make you a better pilot in any aircraft, even if you decide to go trike with your RV.

There are two types of Vans "A" pilots: Those who have flipped over, and those desperately holding that stick back every landing hoping not to.

Darn. I forgot to worry about flipping my 6A a few days across when I landed easily in a 16 knot/gusting 26 knot crosswind. That is almost as bad as forgetting to get a cherry slurpee at Death Valley.

As so many have said before, build what you want to see when you open the hangar door. You'll spend 10 hours on a tailwheel transition, if that, and you'll never have any regrets if what you want is really a t/w! These tailwheel versions really are some of the most docile you can find.

Jim

Pick what revs your motor!

Well said, I am choosing a TD for a couple reasons: because thats what I dreamed about as a kid....purely emotional and I'm perfectly fine with that. Also, not to ruffle anyone's feathers but I think flying a TD is more of a challenge and will make me a better stick/rudder pilot.

Of course, this is all speculation at this point...I have zero hours in a TD, plan to get my endorsement this summer. At the end of the day...do what makes you happy...the rest is background noise.

go out........

and fly a TD. if you like it a lot go for it. get an endorsement and you are there!!!!!!!

Had a -7A now it's a -7

After flying my -7A for ~675hrs, I decided to convert it to a -7. I'm up to ~15hrs now and absolutely loving it. I should have built it this way from the beginning.

Why didn't I build a -7 from the beginning? I tried to use my engineer brain to justify all the pro's and con's. I was able to come up with more reasons to "be safe" and chose the -7A. I then talked to Van's customer support and they talked me out of converting to the -7 several times. They seem to prefer the A models (in general) over there as much as they seem to lean towards light weight VFR planes.

Bottom line: build what YOU want.
- Don't worry about experience in Tailwheels - You'll have plenty in the first couple months.

- Don't worry about insurance - it won't be much different after the first year.

- Don't worry about speed - we're talking a few kts... maybe. and that also highly depends on the build quality and equipment installed

All the other maintenance, visibility, rough runway concerns, etc. are really a toss up between the -7 and -7A. For every advantage one has, there is a disadvantage somewhere else. They are both great, safe designs that are equally easy to fly.

So what reason did I finally use to convert to the Tailwheel? "It's fun to fly and it looks really cool!"

Greg
RV-7

Looks!

As someone already mentioned, looks! Plus you won't have to give up your man-card! Just kiddin'! I like watching a can of worms too...:D

I strongly agree with the advice to go get a tailwheel endorsement, then make your decision. I was completely hooked as soon as I started my training. Now I have a few hundred hours of tailwheel flying, and about 150 in my RV-7 with no regrets.

Paul

Back