What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracking while bending elevator trim tab

Dave S

I'm working on bending the elevator tabs near the trim tab. Had my one drawn, looked good, had the jigs made, and started the bend. My bottom bend went a straight, but didn't turn out perpendicular instead the aft end shifted outward a little.

Now I see about 1/8in from bend line outboard side, is extending about 1/8" from the factor bend relief hole on the trailing edge. The crack is pretty much perpendicular to what should be my bend line.

Looks like Van's is closed today, so thought I'd reach out and see what other opinions are out there.

First and easiest is to stop drill the crack and continue either with bend or with a fabricated rib.

Cut the crack out, I can probably do this 2 ways, 1 to taper the aft end of the cut to remove the crack. The second way would be to extend the factor bend relief cut. This would mean the hole in the aft corner would be a little larger on the bottom than on the top. From here I think I can either re try the bend or go with he rib alternative as well.

Thanks in advance!
(I know pictures speaks volumes, but still trying to figure it out-really just need to create a host site account)

Trim tab

Cheap parts. Buy another or cut the tabs and make riblets. That sounds harsh. Without a photo it's tough to advise on drilling the crack. Maybe a little more info on exactly how you made the bend?
I used double sided tape to hold the blocks then also clanped blocks to keep them from moving.

Last edited:
Riblets are the way to go in my opinion. I spent a lot of time on my trim tab making riblets that fit nicely but it paid off because I managed to get it all correct the first time. Get a new skin and try again.

I realize the lack of pictures made it difficult to visualize.

The verdict from Vans' was I could cut out the crack. So if you could picture the round bend hole on the trailing edge of the elevator near the trim tab, the hole is now oval off center to the bottom edge.

I managed to get the bend 'close enough' the second attempt with now cracking.

If I were to do it again, I think I might try and fabricate a riblet first, and based on how that turns out then decide if I should attempt the bend (probably not)

It did make me feel better when the expert at Van's said when building his, the procedure was different than the current manual.

I'm not building a show plan, and for now I've saved a little time and $ for the next mistake.

Thanks all

Back