What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing the AFP Electric Fuel Pump

SebsRV7A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
When I built my RV-7A, I bought the AFP fuel pump kit from Van's. I didn't know of any other choices, and I don't know that there were any, at least in kit form (I wasn't about to roll my own). At Oshkosh 09, I saw Andair's new fuel pump and reckoned it was a far better solution.
Fast forward to my just-completed annual. I have had a very small fuel seep from one of the 14 connections in the AFP setup. I never really liked all those connections (especially since I made many of them). This year, I decided the offending connection had to be fixed. I removed the pump and it was between the Blue (I think check valve) and the manifold pipe thread connection (amazingly, not one of the connections I made). I took it apart and reconnected it with fuel lube in the threads.
Problem solved, except that I had to take the manifold off the fuel pump, and now the banjo fitting at the bottom of the manifold leaks. I got some advice from the Forum here and annealed the copper gaskets and reinstalled. Still leaks.
So, now's my chance to invest in the simpler replacement - the Andair fuel pump.
Here's the difference on the workbench:
http://gallery.me.com/strost164/100045

It's a bit longer than the AFP setup, so I had to make a really tightly -bent connection from the selector to the filter inlet, and I had to modify the forward portion of the cover and forward center floor cover to get the fuel line hooked up to the outlet. The pump comes with mounting flanges installed, and I modified the existing base to make it fit. I have the Van's selector with the crossed lines from the tanks. The Andair selector would probably let the pump be moved aft since the lines don't cross.
Sure seems like a simpler solution to me. Not bashing AFP at all, just like the simpler solution. Andair sells an installation kit for the -7. I got it from Spruce.
Just my 2 cents...

Seb Trost
RV-7A
Boulder City, NV

I'm sticking with the andair pump. I like how it uses a brushless motor and is much lighter. The walbro is a good pump, but I was willing to try something else because I have one on my truck and it failed.

schu

I purchased an Andair and was planning on using it till I saw the above pump up close and got to examine it yesterday. I am thinking of selling my new never used Andair and switching. The specs and data that I saw were superior to everything else that I have experience with.

How does the length of the EFII Boost Pump Module and Filter compare to the AFP and Andair? The specs on the web page show a length of 8.8", but I'm assuming this doesn't include the filter in series. I suppose you could loop the fuel line around to put the filter on top of the pump and keep the length shorter. You would have to figure out some way to support the filter in order to keep the fuel lines from flexing and cracking. I would be interested in seeing some pictures of installations. I'm getting ready to buy a pump so I can get my fuel lines installed in the fuselage. I have the Van's AFP doghouse, but haven't yet cut the center tunnel cover yet -- I need some dimensions first! The EFII looks like a nice alternative.

Back