What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dark grey color discoloration

Billythekid

Well Known Member
had some aluminum parts stored outside of my building area, stuff was covered up and now I go to get it and some dark discoloration is on the surface black to dark grey, metal is 2024 lead edge skin type stuff.. any idea what this is and or how to remedy the situation or just build on and don't worry bout it,
billythekid

Corrosion

had some aluminum parts stored outside of my building area, stuff was covered up and now I go to get it and some dark discoloration is on the surface black to dark grey, metal is 2024 lead edge skin type stuff.. any idea what this is and or how to remedy the situation or just build on and don't worry bout it,
billythekid

A photo would speak but maybe fillaform corrosion?

Just a guess, but that is the color aluminum turns when exposed to a alkaline solution. Alkaline solutions will dissolve aluminum, so if this was it, be sure the Alclad is not gone. Just take some polish and see if it polishes back ok. If so you should be all good.

The some spray cleaners are alkaline. Fantastic, 409, etc.

We learned this lesson when they took the phosphates out of dishwasher soap .. any aluminum pans, lids, etc, start to turn blackish if you run them through with the new alkali soap. Better for the environment, but less easy cleanup!

I just got a pic and now I have to figure out how to post is, first time posting

Here's the easiest way:

Go to this site:

https://postimages.org/

Use the "Choose image" button and upload the image from your computer.

Then, post the image using the blue icon at the right side of the "Hotlink for Forums" line. Once you hit that icon, it'll say "Copied", and you just paste the link into your post.

You paste it into the post by clicking on that little yellow icon above the text window, the one that's got a dark mountain shape with a yellow background. Paste the copied link in there. You'll get something that looks like this in your text:

Then when you're ready to submit, press Preview Post that's next to the Submit Reply button, and it'll show you what it'll look like to a reader. Make any changes that you need to, then either go back and press Preview Post again to check it, or press Submit Reply.

Dave

Wow. What a complicated procedure just to post a pic. Why don’t you just email the pic to whoever wants to see it....... way way easier....

Last edited:
Wow. What a complicated procedure just to post a pic. Why don?t you just email the pic to whoever wants to see it....... way way easier....

Not for the people that will view this thread months/ years down the road. I agree posting pics can be a pain sometimes but you get used to it and it's so nice when threads come to life! :D

32576279348_70b08a981f_c.jpg

Wonder if this works. I use google photo, a lot easier. I had to edit the share string extensively to get this to post. Maybe only I can see it.

To your real question: That really needs some compound work to see if it is recoverable, or pitted. I would try some 4000 grit or finer with DI water first.

Last edited:
bill l

that worked. and I was thinking of testing with 1000 sand paper with oil and light touch , the dark spots are not pitting, but I will put the 20x eyepiece on it and have a real good look. thanks for the help on the pic getting up.

Back