What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GAP-26-20 Pitot

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Hey All!

I need to pick up a heated pitot for my -10. I was originally looking at the Gretz unit, however, researching the forum threads here has me going in a different direction.

I want a regulated heat pitot, so it comes down to the Dynon and the new Garmin Gap-26-20.

Does anyone have any info on the Garmin unit? It doesn't appear to even be listed on the Garmin site, and it looks as if there is only one or two places that even sell it. About the only info I could find on the Garmin site was within the G3X manual.

On the other hand, everyone sells the Dynon, and there is plenty of info available.

Thoughts?

Hey All!

I need to pick up a heated pitot for my -10. I was originally looking at the Gretz unit, however, researching the forum threads here has me going in a different direction.

I want a regulated heat pitot, so it comes down to the Dynon and the new Garmin Gap-26-20.

Does anyone have any info on the Garmin unit? It doesn't appear to even be listed on the Garmin site, and it looks as if there is only one or two places that even sell it. About the only info I could find on the Garmin site was within the G3X manual.

Hello rocketman,

We have a picture of the heated probe and pricing on this web page.

Installation and wiring information on the -20 heated/regulated probe is included in section 4 of the Rev. L G3X Installation Manual and dimensioned outline drawings showing both the probe and the regulator box are included on pages B7 and B8.

Any Garmin dealer can quote/order a probe for you.

Please contact us via phone or email at the contact information below if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Regulated pitot

I couldn't find the regulated probe in the installation manual. Will look further. Another question is where are most people mounting the temperature probe? My old Cessna has it sticking out the windshield.

Another question is where are most people mounting the temperature probe? My old Cessna has it sticking out the windshield.

I mounted my OAT probes under the wing by the first access panel. I have one in each wing. Fortunately those old style probes aren't used with modern EFIS.

GAP-26-20

I just received my Garmin GAP Pitot tube kit.

You will need the latest manual from there web site for the install.

It is 20 X the quality of the Grezt I hate to say.

I am way impressed with the kit. The control box is a completely enclosed unit.

Will worth the wait to get.

No, you need to get a mast to mount it. Avery Tools sells a really nice anodized aluminum mast or the steel greta mast will work...

The Garmin Pitot is just beautiful!!!

Does anyone know specifically which pitot mast WILL work with the Garmin GAP-26? We're adding a Garmin AOA to our RV-7 (has a G3X). We received the GAP-26, but it didn't have a mast or mounting flange. The Garmin website offers nothing in regards to mount or mast.

I did a bit of googling but am unsure what WILL work...

Pitot mast

I can tell you that it fits the gretz mast perfectly and also the aluminum mast that avery tools sells. I ordered both of them and fit the pitot in each to verify the fit. The gretz mast is a little bit shorter than the avery one but the avery mast is a beautiful piece of work and it is half the price of the gretz.

Does anyone know specifically which pitot mast WILL work with the Garmin GAP-26? We're adding a Garmin AOA to our RV-7 (has a G3X). We received the GAP-26, but it didn't have a mast or mounting flange. The Garmin website offers nothing in regards to mount or mast.

I did a bit of googling but am unsure what WILL work...

Pretty much any of the common ones will work (if designed for a heated pitot), but the most predominant is the Gretz mount - unpainted steel so that you can easily paint it to match your wing....we know those work well because we've sold lots of them with both the Garmin and Dynon heated pitot tubes, and also have lots of customers flying said combinations.

Cheers,
Stein

Gretz Pitot

I installed a Gretz in 2010. It melted when I tested it :( Stein helped me out with a new one after realizing there was a bad batch. The second one worked for two years. The circuit board went bad and I had to order another one. I emailed Gretz twice with no response. I have a G3X panel which was finished way before Garmin came out with the new pitot. I would love to switch out my Gretz but my panel is cut out for the dumb lights for the heated Gretz. Someday I'll upgrade to the Garmin.

Stall Warning Function

Doesn't this probe have stall warning built in??? If it does, do I still need the Van's stall warning gizmo that fits in the wing?

Oh.. if you purchase Garmin panels, do you need that separate little box that comes with it??

Jack,
The Garmin AOA pitot when coupled to the G3X system provides AOA information, which is displayed on the PFD to the right of the speed tape, or of you have the remote display, it will display it there. In addition to the visual cues, it provides an audio tone at around 1khz that sounds like a radar detector. As you approach an angle that is too steep and an airspeed that won't support flight, the tones start beeping, getting faster as the angle increases, to a solid tone right before stall. So in this respect, you could use the AOA as a stall horn. I have both for safety.
The separate box is not required.
Hope this helps

does the Garmin heated pitot come with the heater control box? Does anyone have a link to a control box.

thanks
ken

I depends on which one you purchase. One of them has a control box (the regulated one) and the other does not (the un regulated one). It's not a very big box with the regulated one...I just went out a shot a quick somewhat dark and blurry cell phone pic of one sitting in it's box so you could get an idea of what it looks like.

-and no, the quarter isn't part of the package! :)

Cheers,
Stein

IMG_1672.JPG

Anybody have any good pictures of the mounting and wiring of the GAP-26?

I have not done any real wiring yet, so I would like some advice. There are two black wires and two red wires that look to be spliced together (red to read and black to black) and then run into the fuselage. The instructions indicate that 14 gauge wire can be run for 0-12 ft runs (if I read correctly). I assume that the run will be less then 12', but it could be close. should I just run 12?

Also, what would I use to fasten the 2 wires to together with the wire which runs into the fuselage? terminals, end caps? where is the best place to buy connectors? Stein?

I like my Garmin too..

I received my Garmin Pitot in the mail the other day too, and I'm very impressed with it. Mine is heated, but the unregulated version. I just couldn't justify the added cost, weight and complexity for the regulated version when it seems not to add any real benefit other than current draw when operating and not burning your hand if you forget and leave it on.

All the install and wiring information is in the G3X install manual, which can be downloaded free from the web. Once you do, you'll see a tab on the left that calls out the GAP 26 pitot. In that section is all you need, supposedly to install the pitot.

I am using the Dynon Pitot with the Garmin G3X, and it works just fine. I suspect the reverse may also work. I don't know why you would not just use the new Dynon with your Dynon gear.

The only reason I stayed with the Dynon Pitot, is I purchased it prior to the G3X system being available and already had it mounted. they just sent me the new one and it looks very nice. I have the heat regulator, which also works very nice.

Using a Garmin Pitot (Unregulated) with Dynon

I would be willing to bet that one could use an unregulated Garmin heated pitot and angle of attack pitot with a Dynon setup. The unregulated one doesn't have a control box or anything. It's a simple switch on, switch off type.

Back