What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wrong Cowl?

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am waiting to hear back from Vans on this, but maybe somebody here knows the answer.

I received my finish kit today, and had ordered a setup for an O-320 (fixed pitch). I believe I ordered this correctly as I received the O-320 engine mount. The cowl however, is listed as being a 7A, O-360 cowl kit (the sticker on the bottom cowl itself says 6A, O-360).

Is there any chance this is the correct cowl for an O-320 on the 9A as well, or am I looking at having to return a cowl?

Thanks

Hey Chris,
As you know the best answer will come from Van's however I thought the 360 cowl was only used if you were installing a IO-320 as I did.
I thought the carburetor model would use a standard 320 cowl.

Hey Chris,
As you know the best answer will come from Van's however I thought the 360 cowl was only used if you were installing a IO-320 as I did.
I thought the carburetor model would use a standard 320 cowl.

That's what I thought as well. I am really hoping I didn't check the wrong box on the order form, and that I can blame this on Vans ;)

At least I don't need the cowling for a while yet.

Chris

I had a similar moment when I was confirming my finish kit order. As suggested, call Van's to put your mind at ease. Is yours a vertical induction setup?

Yes it will be vertical induction, which makes me think maybe it could be the same cowl.... Will see when they call me back.

Still excited to have the last big box unpacked!

Chris

Yes it will be vertical induction, which makes me think maybe it could be the same cowl.... Will see when they call me back.

Still excited to have the last big box unpacked!

Chris

I hear ya?mine should come in about a week and a half. The spare bedroom will fill up with parts yet again!

That is the correct cowl if you have a fuel injected engine. It has just a bit more room (wider) at the bottom where the airbox and exhaust are. It basically lets you use the stock location for the airbox without having to offset it to clear the lower cowling.

Heard back from Barb at Vans, and it looks like we share the blame on this...The order was entered incorrectly by them, but apparently I signed a copy that had the error on it. They have agreed to split the shipping costs of exchanging lower cowls, which I think is a fair solution. It turns out the cowl I got is in fact for the 360 or IO-320.

Other solution I will try first is to see if anybody with a 7A or 9A 360 is about to order a finish kit, and they can have mine and Vans will ship my correct one to them for a swap. Will post that separately.

Thanks!

Chris

Is there a reason you would not be able to use it anyway? My understanding is it just has more room on the bottom. Can you make it fit without causing other problems?

Is there a reason you would not be able to use it anyway? My understanding is it just has more room on the bottom. Can you make it fit without causing other problems?

That's an excellent question. Does anybody have any ideas about this?

Ideally I just find somebody to swap with, but that's a long shot.

Chris

I have an O-360 Sam James cowl on my -9, which lines up fine with the firewall; however, I also have an O-360 under it.

Chris,
It would work fine and even better you could now go FI.

Thanks Mark,

I will try to confirm with Vans to be sure but if so that would be perfect. I have planned everything around an O-320 setup as I am more comfortable with the simplicity of carbs, but having the option should I find a deal on an FI engine would be nice.

Chris

And to whoever mentioned a "guest bedroom", don't you mean "climate-controlled parts storage"??

xfby1x.jpg

Chris,
That is my understanding that the O-360 cowl will work fine for the 9A with a O-320 carb and you could change to FI later if you want. That is my plan so I hope I am right! I can tell you that the cowl fits the firewall with the O-320 D2A. The only issue I had was the alternator that came with the engine hits the side of the lower cowl. I got the engine from Aviat Aircraft Factory new and pickled for an Aviat Pup that they never built. When I am home next week I can get some pictures if you need.

Chris,
That is my understanding that the O-360 cowl will work fine for the 9A with a O-320 carb and you could change to FI later if you want. That is my plan so I hope I am right! I can tell you that the cowl fits the firewall with the O-320 D2A. The only issue I had was the alternator that came with the engine hits the side of the lower cowl. I got the engine from Aviat Aircraft Factory new and pickled for an Aviat Pup that they never built. When I am home next week I can get some pictures if you need.

That's great to hear; thank you. What is your plan for the alternator interference?

Chris

It could be made to work but I wouldn't say it would work fine.

The primary difference between the O-320 and O-360 cowl is the depth of the induction scoop.
The MA-5 carb. used on an O-360 is taller that the MA4-SPA used on an O-320.
The O-360 cowl works with a vertical induction IO-320, because the throttle body / servo for the fuel injection system is about the same height as the carb for the O-360.

It could be made to work but I wouldn't say it would work fine.

The primary difference between the O-320 and O-360 cowl is the depth of the induction scoop.
The MA-5 carb. used on an O-360 is taller that the MA4-SPA used on an O-320.
The O-360 cowl works with a vertical induction IO-320, because the throttle body / servo for the fuel injection system is about the same height as the carb for the O-360.

Gotcha, makes sense. Since I am in no hurry guess I will probably just swap them out. Thanks!

Chris

Maybe it is easier to just go with FI?
I want to add FI in he future, but not right now. I think I will try and make it work. I will be working on the carb box this fall so I will see what I have to do and see if it is worth it. I have the O-360 cowl because I was going to put the larger engine in, but I got too good of a deal on the O-320 to pass up.

Another perspective

If it were me I would keep the cowl you have. I have an O-320 with the 320 cowl. I have vetterman exhaust with mufflers and a new Superior O-320. Everything is very tight and it runs hot (thinking of cowl flaps). I would have appreciated the extra depth and width of the 360 cowl scoop. The scoop is about 3/4" wider on each side at the exit.

The Superior has about a 3/8" spacer above the carb, dropping the location of the air box. My air box is less than 1/4" clear of the side of the cowl outlet and same with certain areas of the exhaust mufflers.

If I'm not mistaken, the O-320 cowl that I put on the 7A was tagged O-235. Sure looks good on the plane, slim and sleek. As I recall the O-320 engine mount is 2 plus inches longer too which also enhances the look. :)

If it were me I would keep the cowl you have. I have an O-320 with the 320 cowl. I have vetterman exhaust with mufflers and a new Superior O-320. Everything is very tight and it runs hot (thinking of cowl flaps). I would have appreciated the extra depth and width of the 360 cowl scoop. The scoop is about 3/4" wider on each side at the exit.

The Superior has about a 3/8" spacer above the carb, dropping the location of the air box. My air box is less than 1/4" clear of the side of the cowl outlet and same with certain areas of the exhaust mufflers.

I wonder if I could use a similar spacer above the carb to line things up. I am trying to visualize things and it sounds like the basic issue is the vertical location of the inlet is lower on the 360 cowl (as well as wider), to accommodate the taller carb. The inlet ramp is also wider but I don't see that being an issue.

Chris

Cowl

I wouldn't worry too much about using the O-360 cowl with a carb'd O-320. When you build the air box you will have the ability to customize the air box inlet so it will mate up with the inlet even if not exactly the same height. The directions will actually walk you through how to do this.:cool:

I like the idea of having the option to incorporate Fuel Injection at a later date - while a bit pricey, it really makes the engine run great. Nice ability to lean and no carb icing.

I wonder if I could use a similar spacer above the carb to line things up. I am trying to visualize things and it sounds like the basic issue is the vertical location of the inlet is lower on the 360 cowl (as well as wider), to accommodate the taller carb. The inlet ramp is also wider but I don't see that being an issue.

Chris

Don't think you want to introduce a spacer unless your engine carb combo calls for one, like mine. However, it would probably line up fine without a spacer anyway. I had to cut a pretty significant rise in my air box snout for a 320 cowl, probably still would be needed on a 360 cowl. Plans walk you through this.

Back