What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical stab offset, leading edge

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

Gonna work on the vert. stab tonight, and I've clamped it into position for a look-see. My question is the amount of leading edge offset. Do I need to measure this precisely, or simply center the front spar on the attach bracket as best as possible? Pic shows the amount of offset from above when the bracket is centered.

Also, can you think of any reason NOT to rivet the two aft-most vertical rows of rivets on the fuse? I know that one of the holes needs to be left open for attaching the rudder stops, but it seems like I can button it up at this point. Maybe it's left unriveted on the QB kits for the tailwheel install or something? All I need to do in this section is run the tail strobe wires and put in the tie-down bracket, both easily done through existing openings.

Last edited:
I centered mine and it worked great with both the O-290 and the O-360.

No worries!

I can't think of any reason not to rivet that section up. Maybe someone else will have a reason not to.

Thanks, Bill. Some of my questions may seem obvious?they fall under that "niggling doubt" category. I appreciate your help and patience!!

I believe you are going to want and offset it as far as possible to the left (from the rear). You will find most RV-9s require a little rudder wedge once flying.
Just don't go so far that fitting the fairing will be a problem

There is a washer called out on the plans that gets superglued on the upper left side of the aft fuselage bulkhead where the VS aft spar bolts on (DWG 27A grid section C-4). This is there to get the VS to aim a bit to the left. I put a 1/4" offset on the centerline at the forward VS edge. My ball is centered when I'm flying, so that must be a good starting point. The forward VS spar bracket has an offset built in, so that is also some confirmation that the VS needs to be angled slightly to the left.

IMG_1794-M.jpg

Aft rivets

Thought I would post since you asked. Just today, I riveted the aft two rows and I riveted the longeron rivets from most aft to the forward part of aft deck. I only left a few holes open for attaching fairing.

I just recently flipped the fuselage right side up.

Please anyone chime in if I made some sort of grave mistake.

Back