What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Race Trip

704CH

Well Known Member
Here is a link to a few pics and a quick write up of my trip to the Races. As a first timer I had an amazing time and want to go back next year for sure.

It was also great to meet you all at the BBQ.

I included a link to a couple fun videos at the bottom of the write up.

http://www.704ch.com/2014/09/trip-to-races.html

Thx

Reno air races

I too want to second Chad's assessment of the great adventure at Reno. It was my first time also, and enjoyed meeting the folks at the BBQ (thanks Dan and crew) and the race pilots in the pit area.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Nice pictures/videos Chad. I've been to the Races several times but haven't taken the RV7 yet. Maybe next year. Could you share some more detail about routing, fuel stops, altitudes etc. I would be clearing customs in Bellingham, then continuing on so our flight profiles could be virtually identical. There's the coastal route, or cross the mountains through the pass Southeast of Seattle and then dry country direct south. Possibly too many MOA areas that way, not sure. That is what I am wondering.

Thanks

Bevan

Bevan, from Paine field Reno is 3.5 hours at 160kts true. My preferred route is west of seatac bravo airspace then as direct as possible to Eugene. Then direct Reno which takes you over crater lake and Klamath falls. This routing at about 9.5K is a great route over I-5 much of the way till you go over the mountains at crater lake. Also if weather is a consideration you can go over to the east side either at Snoqalmie pass or the Gorge by Portland. Then down through Bend and Sun River etc. this is not quite as direct and would add time but keeps you on the east side where usually it's more clear.

Add about 20 minutes if departing from Bellingham. If you could get down to Bemerton for customs that would give you much more margin for a direct shot non stop to Reno. Hope you can make the flight sometime.

Thx.

Last edited:
Thanks Chad,

Hadn't thought about Bremerton for Customs. That makes a doable leg direct to Reno as you say. Will have to look into that for sure.

Bevan

Actually not sure if Bremerton has customs but there has to be one further south than Belingham. I know KBFI does but that might cost time and hassle through the class bravo. Maybe Olympia does. Not sure.

Back