What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

camera mount in vert. stab.

flyguy44

Well Known Member
Friend
Looking to install a bullet cam in top of vert. stab...any advice on securing it w/o removing plastic piece @ top. Hoping to drill 5/8" hole and dropping 21' cord to retreive thru plane to cockpit. Using bulletcam successfully attached to dash currently. Want better pix from formation flts w/ Team RV. Any advice welcome...gotta do before Oshkosh 36 ship show. Bill C.

Camera

Looking to install a bullet cam in top of vert. stab...any advice on securing it w/o removing plastic piece @ top. Hoping to drill 5/8" hole and dropping 21' cord to retreive thru plane to cockpit. Using bulletcam successfully attached to dash currently. Want better pix from formation flts w/ Team RV. Any advice welcome...gotta do before Oshkosh 36 ship show. Bill C.

Bill:

I installed mine in the fiberglass tip of the vertical stabilizer. I cut out the forward upper section to get the proper down angle for the camera and made a clay mold to lay up layers of fiberglass. It's hardly noticable unless you see the lens at the forward tip.

You can run an 18 ga. shielded aircraft wire for the video signal to an analog input on the camera. (RCA plug on the cockpit end.)

You can run 14V ships power with a switch and a fuse on the cockpit end on a 20-22 ga. regular aircraft wire to the camera and ground it locally at the camera end for the camera power.

I know this isn't as simple as you had hoped since I gather that your tip is riveted on. I attatched all my fiberglass tips with nutplates and #6 stainless steel screws.

I don't have any pics handy, but can dig them up if you need them. PM me.

also planning cam in vs ...

I am a couple of weeks away from ordering my 8 emp kit, but have been thinking about this same thing. A friend who is a lot further with an 8 recommended running tubing (? pvc conduit) from the top of the vs to the bottom, prior to attaching skins, so that wiring could be run through later. He also said to put it in the fibreglass tip rather than the aluminium skin. I recently loaned my preview plans to a friend and haven't got them back yet, so can't look at drawings to get a better idea at this stage.

Am also interested in ideas (and hopefully pics) from those who've gone before.

Darren

Running the wires

Newbie question - if this is installed after the VS is built, you would have to run the wires loosely through the large holes in the ribs, correct? Isn't wiring supposed to be through rubber grommets in small cut-to-fit holes and not loose (to avoid cutting due to vibration)?

Camera

Newbie question - if this is installed after the VS is built, you would have to run the wires loosely through the large holes in the ribs, correct? Isn't wiring supposed to be through rubber grommets in small cut-to-fit holes and not loose (to avoid cutting due to vibration)?

Since my -8 was already built when I decided to add the camera, I ran my wires out of the fiberglass horizontal/vertical stab fairing...up the rear of the vertical stab spar...into the fiberglass tip of the vert. stab. I used RTV to secure the wires in the corner of the spar and skin. They are not noticable unless you are looking for them or know they're there.

If you plan to mount the camera inside the vertical stab fiberglass tip , make sure to use nutplates to attatch it rather than pop rivets. I did all my tips with nutplates and stainless steel screws with the stainless countersunk washers. They look good, and if you have to remove a tip, you don't have to ruin your paint job.

Back