What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rivet problem

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am new to riviting but have already learned to ask for solutions before i start trying to fix a messed up rivit myself.
i need an experienced eye to look at a few pics of my mangled solid rivit and advise the best solution.
would any experienced riviters allow me to send a few pics to your personel e mail and take a look at what i need to fix?
thanks

hi all,
i have gotten feedback on my rivit problem and as i thought the opinion was to remove and replace the rivit. afraid of that! my last [and only time] turned into a bigger mess that was finally resolved with a 5/32'' cherry max rivit. this time i guess the trick is to go slow and don't remove any metal that looks like part of an airplane!

You would be very well served by taking a few hours out of your build schedule to gather up a hundred rivets of different sizes and a few pieces of scrap aluminum. Drill a bunch of holes, drive/squeeze all the rivets, and then practice drilling them out without damaging the aluminum.

Tedious? Yes. But it'll make you a LOT less apprehensive about drilling out that bad rivet here and there on your project. The last thing a builder needs is a strong mental deterrent to correcting a bad rivet on the aircraft.

practice

Bob.
I'm glad it worked out for you.
I have one suggestion though. Make a practice piece from scrap. Drill it for 3/32" and 1/8" rivet holes. Dimple some. Practice putting them in and drilling them out.

Back