What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 wings on a -9

meloosifah

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

A very non-internet-saavy co-worker is building a -9 QB and is nearing structural completion. In the course of building he has decided he would prefer the options afforded by a -7. Noting the frequent occurrence of wings for sale on the forums here I suggested a wing swap. Anyone know if that is actually a viable option? I assume a -9 is essentially a -7 with different tail and wings...

I think the spar carry-threw is different and would have to be changed out. I would call Van’s on this one. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will pipe up soon.

The fuse is the same. You are correct that the only difference is the wing and entire emp. assembly. There are some other differences if the Finish kit has been purchased. I know on the 9 not 9A the gear is longer that the 7.
Apparently since the stall is slower on the 9 they needed the stance a little taller at three point touch down.

If it was a simple swap, there would only be one fuselage kit available, with the option of which wing and tail you will use.

But it is not.
There are enough differences between the two fuselages that it would be a major rebuild to switch after the fuselage is built.

Don't forget, the flap actuation system is also different. S he is looking at replacing: Wings, Tail, Main Spar Carrythrough, flap system, and more depending on how far along he is.

It would make more sense to find someone with a 7kit that wants a 9 and swap.

Back