What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

an education in fuel pumps

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good afternoon everyone,
I am starting to install sub components into my 7 and have gotten to the fuel pump...but wonder, does anyone know anything about the pumps?
o Are they required?
o Do they come with the finish/FF forward kit?
o If I have to purchase one, what should I look for in the way of pressure, volume, etc...

I am completely lost considering this subject and any help would be appreciated.

Google the Andair Fuel Boost Pump. I really like mine. Quiet and no issues what so ever. High Quality. Easy install.

Brandon, is your engine injected, or carbureted? Injected engines need a higher pressure pump. Excellent ones from Air Flow Performance, EFII, and Andair.
Tom

fuel pumps

Most current Lycomings use a "AC Style" mechanical engine driven pump. This pump is located on the accessory case of the engine. The electric pump serves two purposes: it backs up the engine driven pump in case of failure, and it provides a means to get fuel to the engine for starting. It is possible to get a Lycoming started on the mechanical pump but it is not easy and not recommended.

Good afternoon everyone,
I am starting to install sub components into my 7 and have gotten to the fuel pump...but wonder, does anyone know anything about the pumps?
o Are they required?
Yes. You have a low wing airport and typically gravity doesn't move fuel uphill without some help. You will require both an engine driven pump (mounts on the accessory case) and an electric boost pump, mounts inside the cabin. The electric boost pump is typically used for starting, takeoff & landings, and while switching tanks. It also comes in really handy in the event your engine driven mechanical pump develops a problem.)

There are both high and low pressure engine driven and electric pumps, depending on if you are carburated or injected. Injected engines require the high pressure (& high dollar) pumps.

A low pressure electric pump is required for carburetors and a high pressure pump for injected engines.

o Do they come with the finish/FF forward kit?
No. Van's doesn't know what type of fuel system you will use so they do not include the fuel pump.

o If I have to purchase one, what should I look for in the way of pressure, volume, etc...
4 ~ 6 PSI for a carburetor and 25 ~ 30 PSI for injected.
Here is a link to the Tempest website for the engine driven pumps.

Back