What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 QB wing or fuse which yields biggest time savings?

jj_jetmech

Well Known Member
Just starting a 7 and initially thought I'd go QB all the way. Now I'm thinking I may want to build more.. Thinking of QB ing just one assembly..

The QB mark up for the wing and fuse is comparable so if one were to go QB just one or the other, wing or fuse, which would it be?

Which is more time consuming to build to the QB stage?

Which is more troublesome?

Just to note: I'm a 22 year AP/IA with pretty solid sheet metal skills....Im already learning new things from the VAF... This is my first RV, just started the tail...

In my opinion the QB fuselage would yield a much larger time savings.

The wing go pretty quickly. There is nothing there that you haven't already done on the empennage and there's room to get you hands in.

I found the wings boring and tedious. I thought the fuselage went fast and was more fun. The hard stuff on the fuse has to be done by the builder anyway so I didn't see much savings.

I found the wings boring and tedious. I thought the fuselage went fast and was more fun. The hard stuff on the fuse has to be done by the builder anyway so I didn't see much savings.
Ditto. The fuse probably does take longer to get to QB stage but it was WAY more fun to build.

For me, qb wings and did a slow fuse, seven months to build, but more of a chalange and oportunity to prime, paint the interior better.

I'm with Mel, but only because of the ability to screw up the fuselage if it's not square. Not that many have, but it's possible you don't square everything up properly and won't find out until it's time to put the wings on. Agree with Bret though, a slow build fuselage makes it easier to paint/prime and install systems as you go.

There was recently an RV-9 kit floating around that the original builder tried to salvage by grinding down the spar to make everything fit. A new builder was going to attempt to salvage it by deconstructing and rebuilding everything although I haven't seen any updates to that kit in a while.

Greatly appreciate the replies.... Going standard fuse and QB wing..... Now slider or tip.... Feeeling better about a slider but will start a fresh newbie post for that...... I'm sure every time a new guy arrives you see these same topics again and again!

Thanks for the patience!!!!

I'm with Mel

Boy, that was a quick decision. Anyway, I'd vote for the standard wing and QB fuse. I figure the QB fuse saved me six months. Wings only took 5 to build, fully primed, lighted n wired. Do you have ample storage space? If not, Moving or storing the wings while you build the fuse, engine, avionics, etc. is simpler than the latter.

I did both wings and fuselage as slow build. Wings took about 6 months and the fuselage took me over a year. My time in the garage working on the kits every month is pretty consistent. If you want to save time, buy the QB fuselage. Slow building the wings gives you the opportunity to upgrade the fuel caps, put in capacitive fuel senders and prime (if you want) places that will be closed up and hard to get to later. The lack of variety during the wing build is what makes it go faster. There are lots of one off tasks on the fuselage and those will slow you down.

Boy, that was a quick decision. Anyway, I'd vote for the standard wing and QB fuse. I figure the QB fuse saved me six months. Wings only took 5 to build, fully primed, lighted n wired. Do you have ample storage space? If not, Moving or storing the wings while you build the fuse, engine, avionics, etc. is simpler than the latter.

I was actually about 90% decided on building the standard fuse and QB wing prior to making this post. My first RV so I am tapping the VAF resource for input... Which is greatly appreciated!

I have a hanger and my current schedule should allow me to work the project daily.. Storage I hope won't be an issue..

Thank you,

Back