What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mission Check - Can an RV-6 do this?

jhausch

Actually, can a 6, 7, or 9 do this?

350lbs pilot and pax
50lbs bags
95lbs of dogs
(I am picturing bags custom designed to fit the baggage floor, only be 6-9" thick, and thereby provide a surface on which the dogs can lay/be secured)
650 NM with reserves

My guess is no - too much weight aft, too much "meat", not enough fuel. Some flights would only be 200lb pilot, no pax, but this does not help the floor weight nor aft CG....

I wish it could, but it looks like an older Deb or Bo would be the right price and have the ability.

Any other sub $70k experimental options to look at?

I'd have to calculate again to be throughly accurate but I believe my -7A can have 2 200lb people, full fuel, and 100lbs of baggage.

You have to be careful as the fuel runs lower because you approach the aft CG limit.

I'm pretty sure the baggage floor is only rated for 100 lbs so even if you get get the W&B sorted out you'd be over that limit. That doesn't mean that you couldn't re-enforce the floor to handle another 40 lbs but then you'd have to deal with the AFT CG. It could be possible. Might be worth talking to some of the guys at Van's.

Have you looked at the Bearhawk? It might fit the bill. I think you could build one for $70k.

Actually, can a 6, 7, or 9 do this?

350lbs pilot and pax
50lbs bags
95lbs of dogs
650 NM with reserves

A -6 certainly can't meet these criteria. The pilot and passenger weight is no problem. I don't like the feel with even 50# in the back and try to stay under that number. Forget the dogs completely. I also would never flightplan for 650 nm. You can probably do it with a good, strong tailwind, a willingness to go to the legal (not my personal) fuel reserves, and flying for highest efficiency, but I would never expect or plan for it.

We have a similar (albeit, slightly lighter in all categories and without the fuel concern) mission requirement in mind once out West but we are convinced that it will not be met with any RV except the -10 and, maybe, the -14.

Thanks to all for the replies. This is what I suspected.

It will probably be a while before any -14 is available at that price.

Any other E-AB up to this mission at this budget?

Back