What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O2 system choice

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Ready to buy the O2 system...looked at Mountain High, Sky-Ox and Aerox. MH is a little too pricey for my taste and mission profile, so that's out. I'm looking at a D-sized bottle, mounted on the rear of the flap motor housing (between the seats, in the baggage compartment).

Are there any advantages of one over the other (Aerox vs. Sky-ox)? Such as fittings being more or less "standard" or compatible with various filling stations, better or worse flowmeters, whatever?

N.B. I'm not interested in "roll your own" for various personal reasons. MH looks nice, but I don't want to spend that much. I'm only looking at comparing two very similar systems from the two companies listed above (unless I missed a fourth vendor somehow).

TIA!

Steve

I have aerox oxysaver cannulas that extend the duration quite a bit. At first I had the "glow in the dark" flow meters (for a built in system) with the flow adjustment integral with the flow meter. They tended to move on their own hence changing the flow rate on their own (with some help from me moving around). I returned those and got the metal flow adjustment knobs that plug into my built in scott type connectors. So big plus on the oxysaver cannulas and caution on the flow adjustment knob type. I had a 2 PERSON d sized aerox portable as well and the flow adjustment knob was right on the bottle top regulator, worked great. Just has to be within easy reach to control the flow rate and shut the bottle off when not in use. Cannula use is up to 18,000msl. Above that a mask is required.

Last edited:
Ready to buy the O2 system...looked at Mountain High, Sky-Ox and Aerox. MH is a little too pricey for my taste and mission profile, so that's out. I'm looking at a D-sized bottle, mounted on the rear of the flap motor housing (between the seats, in the baggage compartment).

Are there any advantages of one over the other (Aerox vs. Sky-ox)? Such as fittings being more or less "standard" or compatible with various filling stations, better or worse flowmeters, whatever?

N.B. I'm not interested in "roll your own" for various personal reasons. MH looks nice, but I don't want to spend that

Steve

Your request for comparison is still a little too generic. For example, MH has multiple tiers of solutions based upon type of flow control, remote valve control, etc. It's hard to provide a specific opinion with out more detail on your objectives and mission.

My research that I did at OSH this past year was that MH was a good deal.

I was interested in the panel mount pulse demand unit, but it was outside my current budget limits. The portable unit was too. However, the entry level package was comparable to the other vendor solutions. The thing I liked about MH was that I could easily add these options at a later date when I could afford them.

One thing to look for is the orientation of the lines coming off the bottle. It may not be a big issue with a two place, but with a four place it is. Some vendors had almost a vertical orientation, which allows you to lay the bottle down on the rear tunnel area in a RV-10. One vendor's was perpedicular to the bottle, with one line every 90 degrees. This may laying the bottle down impossible for a four place.

My recommendation is to define your long term needs, determine what upgrade path may be available if you purchase an entry level bundle, then make your vendor choice. In my case, that eliminate Aerox pretty quick. While I haven't purchased yet, I'm going with MH. much. I'm only looking at comparing two very similar systems from the two companies listed above (unless I missed a fourth vendor somehow). Since i will be doing my Phase I early spring, I can wait until OSH12 for next year's show discounts.

bob

bottle location...

consider your mounting location for ease of access in flight and for visual observation of the pressure gauge... i mounted mine on the passenger side with some backing plates to the flap actuator cover and can easily reach the valve and see the gauge without any special effort. i considered mounting the bottle in the center as you are suggesting but could not reach without contortion and the gauge was not visible for me...

o2system4.jpg

I can't help you with the comparison (mine is a roll-your-own) but I can tell you that I had my O2 bottle where you are describing (between the seats, in the baggage compartment) and I HATED IT!! It's impossible to reach in flight and it's in the way. I've moved mine to a place similar to the previous post and like it much better.

i considered mounting the bottle in the center as you are suggesting but could not reach without contortion and the gauge was not visible for me...

I had my O2 bottle where you are describing (between the seats, in the baggage compartment) and I HATED IT!! It's impossible to reach in flight and it's in the way.

Guys, the comment was from a RV 10 perspective.

I mounted mine on the tunnel in the same location, works quite fine. But, I do have a 10.

What Bob mentioned will not work in a 2 place SBS,

"...determine what upgrade path may be available if you purchase an entry level bundle, then make your vendor choice. In my case, that eliminate Aerox pretty quick."

Why? What upgrade path is not available that you desired?

I don't have a 10, I have a 7, so mounting locations that might work in a 10 are "outside the scope" here :). I also have on order the complete Classic Aero Aviator interior, complete with side panels and such, and I'd rather not poke holes in them unless necessary, so we'll have to experiment with location (center post vs. other locations).

Howevever, that's also somewhat less relevant than just getting basic info on the 2 systems mentioned.

So far, one vote for Aerox. And forgive me if I missed it, but I don't see a "comparably priced" similar system from MH (2-place, portable, etc.). The lowest I see at ACS for MH is at least several hundred dollars more, and it goes up from there. (And it looks like Aerox also now sells a pulse demand module as an accessory).

I believe the comparable systems are:

MH XCP-415-2P-FP $584 at ACS
Aerox D 2-place kit $$477 at ACS
SkyOx SK-12-15 (can't tell if it's one or two place) $$530.76 at SkyOx

So perhaps the MH systems isn't *that* far out of line with the others, after all...

I doubt that, initially at least, I'll need the pulse demand add-ons...but it's a nice option to have for the future.

I would like more info on refilling, etc., both at home base from a large tank and while away, from various FBOs' equipment. Are they all about the same, or are there significant differences in equipment?

Etc....

Filling at Oshkosh and Sun-n-fun...

One nice feature with the Aerox guys is that they haul a cascade fill system with them to Oshkosh and Sun-n-fun and fill their bottles for free. I also liked the smaller regulator and easy push pull connects. Whatever the system, you should make sure that the bottle size that you get is sufficient to get you there and back... for us, the D has worked fine so far as long as the tank is full to start with but some places (FBOs) can not always get you a full charge. Prices to fill vary widely and it takes some effort to find a local fill source (welding supply) that is willing to fill your bottle rather than swap you one... If we used oxygen everyday I would get a couple of large H cylinders and set up a cascade system in the hanger... if you ask around there might be someone on your field with one already that you can utilize for a nominal charge.

One nice feature with the Aerox guys is that they haul a cascade fill system with them to Oshkosh and Sun-n-fun and fill their bottles for free.

Mountain High folks did this for me at Osh this year------and I only stopped in to see if their pulse supply system would work on my old Scott equipment. As it turns out, it would not work.

But, the MH guy offered to fill my bottle anyway.

If I ever need to upgrade my O2 stuff, MH is on the top of the list.

Pulse Demand

Aerox does sell a diluter demand pulse system and it has served me well. It really makes a difference in the amount of O2 I am using compared to the same system without it. I do a lot of 12000' + flying between Central OR and CA. I have also used a borrowed unit made by Mountain High and would reccomend it also, but I believe it is a bit more expensive. I think the savings will outweigh the intial investment no matter which way you go. Not having the hassle of refilling the cylinder so often is also well worth it. My next project is to get the Aerox diluter mounted somewhere besides around my neck.

I've got a portable Aerox system. Turns out that if your bottle can be carried to the shop, filling it is cheaper than if the shop's supply needs to go out to the aircraft. And of course you can drive it or bicycle it to a place that'll fill it, which might be an advantage.

Also, refill prices are per bottle, not by the amount of oxygen it takes. So a bigger bottle is cheaper per year than a small bottle, due to fewer refills. A large light-weight portable bottle works for me.

Dave

14-years ago, I purchased an Aerox system and was very happy with it other than wishing I had purchased a larger bottle. 10-years after purchase and two hydrostatic recertification of the bottle, I lost most of the O2 out of the tank while using it for 1-hour. I had issues with the flow gauge starting on the flight. The measure ball STUCK to the bottom of the flow gauge and I had NO O2 flow. I banged (hit) the flow meter against the slider support chipping the paint several times to get flow started as I climbed through 12,000 feet. Landing for fuel 1-hour after starting O2 flow, I found my tank empty. Only 3 hours home and no need to go above 9,500, I figured no big deal, I can troubleshoot when I get back to my hangar. At the hangar, I broke out my refill hose and filled the tank to the highest pressure that I could. With around, 1,000 psi now in the tank, there was no leak with the valve off. Plugging in the cannula and turning the tank valve for flow, I found the o-ring in the cannula quick connect leaking on both connectors. Couldn't find a way to take the quick connector apart to replace the o-ring non a replacement quick connect, I contacted Aerox. Could buy the connector and cannula parts from them. Looked at the price and the price of an upgrade of everything but tank and regulator, I decided to pend twice the money the replacement Aerox parts would cost and upgrade to the best metering system with new cannulas. I went with Mountain High stuff mostly because I now could get the same O2 usage duration from my little 9 Cu Ft tank as I could if I went with the nect larger size Aerox tank and system.

Rant mode now off.

IMHO, you will not go wrong with what ever system of the proper tank size you buy but I believe the Mountain High metering ststem is the best out there. Unfortunately it is also the most expensive. I though I was worth the best so I parted with my hard earned money for the Mountain High metering system.

Back