What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom 200 loose knob

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
On my trip this past weeeknd We had the freq. knob come loose. we were able to shove it forward and still worked but wondered if anyone else had this issue and how's the best way to ensure it doesn't happen again

Mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago (TT 250 hrs). I took the unit out of the plane and put it on the work bench. I managed to get enough screws loose so the front plastic would work forward just enough to get a pair of needle nose on a nut and tighten it. worked great, thought I was gonna have to take it in to a repair shop at first.

doug

Sounds like the same thing that happened to my A200. I could change the MHz but I had to push it forward to get it in a bind on the shaft. A really small Allen wrench fixed mine. There is a small set screw on the knob that holds it to the shaft. Just tighten and forget.

You might want to use a magnifying glass and look closely at the set screw----it may not be an Allen head, but a Bristol.

The Allen wrench will work to a slight degree in a Bristol, but will fail when it starts to get tight.

Bristol spline was very common on radio knobs for a long time.

More info here http://www.bristolwrench.com/

Back