What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BEST PANEL for $15K wins a prize.

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
I would love to hear about/see pics of panels that are under $15K.

Mission -simple day night VFR, but i think we all love the toys and glass. To me cool factor is important. Do we need it no, but do we need our own airplane no...so we dont need to have that discussion.

People who cheat and write a big fat $60K check cant enter this competition, i dont need a 430 and old style steam gauges arent what i am looking for either.

My thinking is something like 2 glass panels, autopilot, av80r gps, icom com, garmin trans and psi audio.Just in planning stages but the budget is 15k max so looking for reasonable solutions. Thanks.

Dynon has some really cool options that are somewhat reasonable in prices. I noticed at Oshkosh this year that a lot of companies are starting to come out with EFIS which will drive prices down. If you are in the early planning pages, I would give it another couple of years and you could probably equip your airplane pretty nicely for 15K.

Very near $15K gets you this panel (assume 296) and an AP (Pay no mind to the AP76 instead should be AP74) which seems to fit your description...

Of course you don't need an SL30 or the HS34 but they are nice to have items.

I am considering starting out with 1ea D180, an A210 and no servos. I will go ahead and install the wiring harnesses and magnometer for another D100 and the wiring for the servos. I already have a 296. That brings my entry point down to less than $10K for the starter panel that can easily be expanded.

2rppx60.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking for something in the same price range. I don't have a layout yet, but I've been thinking about a panel with a Dynon 7" nextgen and a GDU 375.

GDU 375 $4000
Dynon nextgen 7" w/probes $5000 ??? (just a guess)
AP74 + 2 servos $1950

That leaves ~4k for your radio, transponder, and intercom if my numbers are close.

gdu375.jpg

dnex10.jpg

dapvert.jpg

How about best panel under 10K? It was my 8K panel until I put the 496 in (which I purchased for $2k).
2008-01-03.2157.jpeg

If you go with the larger Dynon screens, it's $600 more total.

Day/Night VFR and more than you will ever need.

Below is an old picture...the plane is about ready to fly. But, this panel cost me just under $11k. I have 2 MGL Voyagers with full engine monitoring, GPS, etc. One Icom A200 and one Garmin GTX-327. Oh, and a Sigtronics stereo intercom.

picture%20023.jpg

Dynon D180 + D100 = $5,600
Pre-wired Harnesses x2 = $180
AP74 + 2x Servos = $1950
LiIon Backup Batteries x2 = $260
Super Bright Screen x2 = $400
Fuel Flow Transducer = $200
Altitude Encoder Converter = $80
AoA Pitot Tube (unheated) = $200

Dynon total: $8,870

Used Garmin 396 + GXM 30A smart antenna (for XM Wx and TFRs) < $1000 Ebay

MGL Nav/Comm/Marker Beacon/Intercom (coming next year) - under $2000

Used King Mode C transponder (EBAY) - $650

Grand total $12,520, leaving almost $2,500 for gas money.

$650 more will net you the HS34; however, the only things you will gain from this are a) channel pass-through from the Garmin to the radio, which might (don't recall) be possible by direct wiring; b) dedicated course and heading knobs; and c) slightly simpler switching between Nav/GPS sources for the HSI.

Last edited:
Everything listed below came from Steinair. They didn't build my panel but everything was purchased from them.

Dynon

D180+battery+superbright option
EFIS harness and EMS harness
HS34
Heated AOA Pitot
EDC-D10A Remote Magnetometer
Fuel Flow

Garmin

GMA 240 Audio Panel, great value @800 bucks IMO.
SL 40 Comm Radio
GTX 327 Transponder (D180 provides altitude encoder)
GPSMAP 696 GPS

ALL harnesses built by Steinair (not just the Dynon harnesses but the entire panel harness was built by Steinair for a VERY reasonable price).

Not really a "panel" item but I bought my ELT with everything else and still didn't get near 15K.

Now the customer support from Stein, Paul, Jed and Mike, you can't put a price on (good thing cause I couldn't afford it). Stein called me to discuss what I wanted in my panel, after hours, on a FRIDAY! Try getting that from someone else. After I received the avionics I had a few questions about the harnesses so I called Steinair, couple of minutes later I was speaking to Mike. Who's Mike? They guy that built my harnesses, he knew the answers to all my questions.

Yea, you can tell I like Stein and crew, can't imagine why someone would us anyone else for their avionics. If you don't give them a chance to earn your business, you are really cheating yourself.

Last edited:
$650 more will net you the HS34; however, the only things you will gain from this are a) channel pass-through from the Garmin to the radio, which might (don't recall) be possible by direct wiring; b) dedicated course and heading knobs; and c) slightly simpler switching between Nav/GPS sources for the HSI.

Not quite, the HS34 gives you MUCH more than that. Expanded HSI functions, support for more radios and GPSs. If you have an audio panel or intercom you get EFIS/EMS voice alerts for most of the alarms instead of tones (example: instead of hearing "bing" in your headset, you get "oil pressure low" or "CHT 1 High" or "Altitude Low Climb" or whatever the alarm is). Automatic dimming of everything on the DSAB. Just changing the altimeter setting and bugs is a lot easier with the HS-34.

It gives you even more than I have listed, take a look here. Also read through one of the EFIS/EMS manuals and each item the HS-34 will affect is described in detail.

my planed IFR panel..
Dynon Flt Dek w/EMS $4,900.00 may add the HS34
Dynon A/P $2,100.00
Airspeed Indicator $200.00
Altimeter $300.00

Compass $100.00
Garmin SL 30nav.com $3,500.00
Garmin GPS 300xl/com $1,800.00 used/ebay
Transponder $1,000.00 used/ebay

Intercom $300.00
$14,200.00

Below is an old picture...the plane is about ready to fly. But, this panel cost me just under $11k. I have 2 MGL Voyagers with full engine monitoring, GPS, etc. One Icom A200 and one Garmin GTX-327. Oh, and a Sigtronics stereo intercom.

Please explain... When I add these up just the two Voyagers, Probes and AHRS's total $10,865. Add to that the A200, G327 and IC and I am way over $11K.

Here is a possible plan for me based on some items from this thread....

Not counting the 296, this panel comes in close to $10K even with servos.

A Lean Mean VFR Cruising Machine:

2jv6zc.jpg

It has been confirmed by Dynon that the Value knob on the AP74 can do everything that the value knob on the HS34 can do plus the AP74 also takes care of audio alerts and auto dimming so there is no reason to have the HS34 if your not going to use a NAV radio.

Last edited:
Not quite, the HS34 gives you MUCH more than that. Expanded HSI functions, support for more radios and GPSs. If you have an audio panel or intercom you get EFIS/EMS voice alerts for most of the alarms instead of tones (example: instead of hearing "bing" in your headset, you get "oil pressure low" or "CHT 1 High" or "Altitude Low Climb" or whatever the alarm is). Automatic dimming of everything on the DSAB. Just changing the altimeter setting and bugs is a lot easier with the HS-34.

It gives you even more than I have listed, take a look here. Also read through one of the EFIS/EMS manuals and each item the HS-34 will affect is described in detail.

AP74 gives you the voice outputs. If he is strictly VFR and not seeking to increase his number of radios, the equipment listed will work without HS34 - which is why I said he wouldn't get any more out of it for this scenario. Certainly if he upgrades to IFR he would want the HS34.

For a more definitive list of differences with/without, see this post (and Dynon's response) on the Dynon forum.

GREAT

Keep it going. Those are some very nice panels and i havent done all my research so i sincerely appreciate hijacking some peoples ideas/homework.
While 15k is no small amount, it is amazing the state of the art stuff you can get for that $ amount now. I do like the the glass panel (dynon/afs/mgl) one side and the 696 on the other. All the worries about steam gauges seems unimportant when you have great glass and a full dash of gps gauges and auto pilot...all for $15K. Now if we could just get Stein/Stark etc to prepackage some of these, waterjet cut, painted, labelled and wired at a good package price...hmmmmm

Happy to see more pics and more ideas. I love the bright color panels. Red, bright yellow....very very sporty looking.

Please explain... When I add these up just the two Voyagers, Probes and AHRS's total $10,865. Add to that the A200, G327 and IC and I am way over $11K.

2 x Voyagers = $6,800
ADHRS/Compass = $1,100
Probes (from GRT) = $500
RDAC XD = $275
Total = $8,675

That was last years pricing. This year's pricing is 9,365.00 - still way below $10k even if you go with MGL's probes. I don't know if GRT is less expensive anymore...that's just where I got the best deal last year. By the way, if I add a Garmin 300XL, I'll have a full IFR capable aircraft. Not bad for less than $13k.

All prices are in US Dollars TOTAL

AP74 gives you the voice outputs. If he is strictly VFR and not seeking to increase his number of radios, the equipment listed will work without HS34 - which is why I said he wouldn't get any more out of it for this scenario. Certainly if he upgrades to IFR he would want the HS34.

For a more definitive list of differences with/without, see this post (and Dynon's response) on the Dynon forum.

Hmmm....

Sorry, I didn't realize you were relating the HS34 to your install only. Sure, all of the items you listed will work without an HS34. I was simply explaining that the HS34 offers so much more than you described. I agree you will get some (not nearly all) of the same functions from a AP74, although I didn't notice anyone comparing the two in this thread. Neither the AP74 or the HS34 are reguired as they are expansion modules however both add quite a bit to the functionality of a Dynon. Not really sure what you mean by an upgrade to IFR as it relates to an HS34.

I had already read the thread you suggested as I read the Dynon forum almost every night. It's certainly not definitive about the differences of the HS34 and the AP74. Actually it compares what functions of the two are alike.

Dynon's response didn't relate that the AP74 can or should replace an HS34. Only that it can perform the same specific functions that Brantel asked about.

Now to get this thread back on track.

Add both an HS34 AND an AP74 and get all of the functions to either breister's or my panel and STILL be under 15 grand.

2 x Voyagers = $6,800
ADHRS/Compass = $1,100
Probes (from GRT) = $500
RDAC XD = $275
Total = $8,675
That was last years pricing. This year's pricing is 9,365.00 - still way below $10k even if you go with MGL's probes. I don't know if GRT is less expensive anymore...that's just where I got the best deal last year. By the way, if I add a Garmin 300XL, I'll have a full IFR capable aircraft. Not bad for less than $13k.
All prices are in US Dollars TOTAL

Ok, I see that your using last years pricing and leaving out the A200, G327 and Intercom.....Probes from GRT must be much cheaper than MGL..

Nice panel by the way. Very clean!

Last edited:
Yep,

HS34 is the bomb for installs where you have a HH GPS and a SL30 or an SL30 and a 430W or just a 430W.

But if you only have a HH GPS, it does not do much more for you than the AP74 can do with the exception of the dedicated heading knob.

When researching what could be the minimum equipment for my install, I wanted to dump the HS34 since I was only considering one HH GPS but I did want to have a knob for setting bugs, altimeter and I still wanted voice alerts and auto dimming. The AP74 can set the heading bug, it is just not a dedicated heading knob.

I knew the AP74 could do all of that but my specific question was could it do all that if you did not have any servos connected to it yet as I might start out without the servos.

Dynon said the AP74's value knob will work without the servo's but of course the rest of the buttons won't do anything.

This gives a nice inexpensive upgrade path for me.

The HS34 is a great box for the people that need it. It adds some really cool features to the Dynon system. If you have multipe gps/nav sources or a ARINC enabled device, I would consider it required equipment.

Hmmm....

Sorry, I didn't realize you were relating the HS34 to your install only. Sure, all of the items you listed will work without an HS34. I was simply explaining that the HS34 offers so much more than you described. I agree you will get some (not nearly all) of the same functions from a AP74, although I didn't notice anyone comparing the two in this thread. Neither the AP74 or the HS34 are reguired as they are expansion modules however both add quite a bit to the functionality of a Dynon. Not really sure what you mean by an upgrade to IFR as it relates to an HS34.

I had already read the thread you suggested as I read the Dynon forum almost every night. It's certainly not definitive about the differences of the HS34 and the AP74. Actually it compares what functions of the two are alike.

Dynon's response didn't relate that the AP74 can or should replace an HS34. Only that it can perform the same specific functions that Brantel asked about.

Add both an HS34 AND an AP74 and get all of the functions to either breister's or my panel and STILL be under 15 grand.

Hmmm....

No worries - I was focused solely on what he might "miss" not having it in a strictly VFR platform.

BTW, I personally have an IFR setup and do use the HS34, but not the AP74 as I have a TruTrack. I was simply trying to play along with the objective of the original poster, best VFR bang for the buck.

Ok, shoot me! :D Seriously, I was just pointing out that for a VFR implementation he wouldn't lose anything important without the HS34 and the other stuff I suggested. Notice that on several of the replies here people are leaving out things like radios and pitot tubes, so it's not coming out as an apples to apples comparison.

Yep! The MGL and GRT units are good, too - I just don't understand them as well and so can't recommend what to buy/skip there.

This is a great time to be building or upgrading an airplane!

Briester,
Bea-uutifull. I see that you have the flap switch under your thumb when your hand is on the throttle. That seems very reasonable. Having the carb heat (unless I'm seeing it wrong and that is the prop control) next to the mixture makes me nervous. I've had many students pull the mixture when they thought they were putting on the carb heat. Few do that more than once.:eek:
Daryl

I haven't built my panel and don't even have a nice drawing of it. Buthave been collecting pieces-parts. hoping to come in around $8K

D180 $3800 w/probes still need Steinair
Avmap $1350 still need various specials
Icom200 $ 650 got it VAF
GTX320 $1000 got it VAF
Navaid A/P $ 650 got it VAF
Sig200s $ 275 ACS or possible ebay for <$200
swtch/brkr $ 300 working

Total $8025

Things will change a little, but should be a good XC/VFR combo.

Here's mine, just before completion. Dynon D100 & D120 (~$5200), Garmin 495 ($1500), SL30 ($3500), & GTX 327 ($1700) are the major cost items. Add another several hundred for backup whisky compass, airspeed and altimeter (all 2.25") plus the PS1000 II intercom and it comes in around $13000. Another $1500 for the autopilot servos plus some switches etc. and I end up right at $15k (not sure whether to count the servos or not). Open square hole in UR is for a custom control I'm building for my wing camera (cost <$100).

greg

Briester,
Bea-uutifull. I see that you have the flap switch under your thumb when your hand is on the throttle. That seems very reasonable. Having the carb heat (unless I'm seeing it wrong and that is the prop control) next to the mixture makes me nervous. I've had many students pull the mixture when they thought they were putting on the carb heat. Few do that more than once.:eek:
Daryl

Can't take credit for the picture - I stole Brantel's! (If you look at my original post, just above the photo it shows that it was a quote of Brantel).

:)

Can't show pictures of my plane, it would be a violation of TOS. Photo was for illustrative purposes only....

;)

Ok, I see that your using last years pricing and leaving out the A200, G327 and Intercom.....Probes from GRT must be much cheaper than MGL..

Nice panel by the way. Very clean!

Hehe...Nope. You got it wrong. My first post was NOT leaving out the comm, transponder or the intercom. The sub-$11k figure includes everything! I paid $750 for the A200, $1,250 for the GTX-327 and $180 for the intercom.

Hehe...Nope. You got it wrong.

Happens alot. Great panel for a great price. Proves you can be frugal and still end up with a great panel. Its hard to compare when you don't know when someone purchased their gear and if they got any deals other than the current new selling prices...

Happens alot. Great panel for a great price. Proves you can be frugal and still end up with a great panel. Its hard to compare when you don't know when someone purchased their gear and if they got any deals other than the current new selling prices...

Man, you're right about that. I've been very lucky to have found a lot of good deals. Although, the only thing I bought used (on my panel) is the Garmin transponder. Pacific Coast quoted me $1500 for a brand new one, but I opted for a used one. I hope it works! That $250 I saved could end up costing me a lot more if I have to get it fixed.

so far...

I am thinking bang for the buck - pilot side glass from dynon afs or mgl (still looking) with AP (so dynon and mgl are leading), then right hand side a garmin 695. Vfr, so no weather needed but that could change.

Two large glass panels NO old steam guages but the garmin can be a legit backup and then a decent radio, trans, audio panel and i am good. Thanks for all the pics, its great seeing the mix people put together.
Thanks, there are some great panels out there. :D

I am thinking bang for the buck - pilot side glass from dynon afs or mgl (still looking) with AP (so dynon and mgl are leading), then right hand side a garmin 695. Vfr, so no weather needed but that could change.

Two large glass panels NO old steam guages but the garmin can be a legit backup and then a decent radio, trans, audio panel and i am good. Thanks for all the pics, its great seeing the mix people put together.
Thanks, there are some great panels out there. :D

Ok, YOU said you were looking for "best bang for the buck..."

Before you invest in a Garmin 696 (with it's incredibly expensive update subscriptions), you may wish to consider some options.

Anwhere Map gives you much of the functionality of the 696, and offers a LIFETIME subscription for about the annual cost of Garmin's answer. The software is around 10% of the cost of the physical 696, and I just bought a used 10" tablet color PC (which can sit on your lap, or mount in your dash) for under $300. I will be reporting back on my experience shortly in the thread, "Shrinking the Brain Bag."

No, it won't be as bright as the Garmin display. But it will have all the approach plates for the CONUS forever, and it means I will also have a lightweight computer with me whenever I travel to get email, etc. When tablets get brighter and cheaper, I can upgrade. I only need to spend $30 more to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver (mounted permanently under the dash) to have hands-free functionality anywhere in the cockpit.

In my earlier post I recommended a used 396 which, if it came with the XM receiver antenna, could be a really good deal. I may change that recommendation...

Last edited:
Edit of my last post. Downloaded the Nacomatic charts (.PDF files) onto my tablet. Using the pen (no keyboard) in flight will I think be very difficult, even on a kneeboard, but possible. Might be a bit hard to see in full sunlight, but can zoom in. Searching for an airport en-route without a keyboard will be tough - Anywhere map would definitely have an advantage there (just touch the airport, then select the option you want).

Re-reading the Anywhere Map site, it appears it would cost about $700 to have all the features of the 696 except XM Wx/TFRs. Add $1500 for that feature, about the same as the 696 (cost is mostly the smart antenna, I think).

It is still a better value, but I'm gonna go look at someone else's Anywhere Map in action before I plunk down that much money. In the mean time, for $300 I have all the charts and can make it work.

D180 w/all options, AP74, 2 servos 6200.00
SL40 1600.00
GTX 327 1700.00
Flightcom 403 w/harness 410.00
496 2395.00
Airgizmo mount w/tilt adapter 135.00
Zaon mrx traffic 500.00
Ameri King ELT 190.00

Total 13,130.00

Substitute SL30 for +2000.00

Total 15,130.00

You Can't Haandle the BEST...

You want the BEST? Dual screen Grand Rapids Synthetic Vision, add the GPS, weather and engine kits and you have the best.

Add the AP later as budget allows.

I call this approach, "quality first"; only use the best and build it a budget allows. I think you actually save money this way.

Hans

Back