What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan Engines at OSH

Hello All,

This post is a notification for those of you who are seeking information on engine options for your RV projects. Since ECi was acquired by Continental Motors, the integration of the Titan line of standard and "stroked" engines has been moving forward. The manufacturing machinery is in place in Mobile, Alabama and in the German division. The supply chain is well established too. Our lead times are longer that we would like but we're working it that.

In years past, Titan Engines had an outdoor space at Oshkosh with a trailer on it and engine displays out front. This year the integration with Continental Motors is complete and we will be in the big Continental Motors tent just outside of Hangar C. Titan Engines will not be listed in the Air Venture program, just Continental Motors. We're one big happy family now; The Booth #'s are 229-234.

We will have a discount special and will be celebrating "Titan Tuesday" on July 25th. Please come by and see us, we would love to welcome you to your booth and talk engines !

James ( J.B.) Ball
Phone 251 295 3786 (c)

JB,
Didn't make OSH but instead was able to maiden the airplane. So all in all not a bad week. I hope things went well for you guys. I'll be there next year
Andy Manilla

Last edited:
I had an opportunity to meet with James Ball (OP) at the Titan/Continental tent at Oshkosh. A great guy and an impressive lineup of engines. I also had the homor of talking with Bobby Looper. A veteran engine builder and all-around cooling and airframe integration expert. These guys are great. The A team no doubt. Bobby is the guy OEM airframe manufacturers call in when they need a hired gun to fix integration problems. A really smart guy. And down to earth. Besides being a seasoned technical expert with Titan, he owns and flies a Cessna 120. He is also the go to guy for the Reno race guys who push their engines. Back in the day he was a neighbor and confidant of the late Sam Burgess, who set multiple records with his modified Buker biplane. Mild mannered and low key, when he talks, you can just tell you had better listen. No better expert on cooling and plenum options. He was fresh back from a multi-week stint at Aviat solving Stu Horn:s cooling issues with Aviat's new top secret (alleged) IO-370 powered STOL aircraft.

We ordered a conical mount X370 with counterweighted crank, magnesium case and CMI mags for a Javron Cub build from Titan's James Ball (OP) with Bobby looking over our shoulder. We know Titan is behind us and has the backing of Continental and the new production facility behind them. Plus they are pricing their products super aggressively to maintain and grow market share. There is a kind of price war between the major players in the experimental aircraft engine market right now.

In fact the balance of the Continental team at OSH had the complete air of confidence and expertise with respect to their entire product line from the O-200 and experimental Titan line through to their newer diesel aircraft engines. I wasn't expecting to be so impressed by their Oshkosh presence. But they had the real guys doing the real stuff there and ready to talk turkey.

I guess that's all I know at this point. Before OSH I thought we were going Lycoming but was less than impressed with their pushing the Lycoming Loyalty Program while at the same time telling their customers they won't stand the cost of the recent mandatory SB due to bad rod bushings in new engines. They probably did us a favor steering us to Titan.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,
I like my Titan IO-370. I don't have tons of time on it so far, but it is a strong motor. I don't know if they still do the builder observation program, but when mine was built, I was able to watch the motor being assembled by Julian one of the titan techs. It was fascinating to watch. They also take you on a tour of the manufacturing facility. That alone is worth it. It gave me peace of mind with the motor to know exactly how it was built and what quality control procedures Titan has in place to guarantee your motor is rock solid.

Andy

Jim,
I like my Titan IO-370. I don't have tons of time on it so far, but it is a strong motor. I don't know if they still do the builder observation program, but when mine was built, I was able to watch the motor being assembled by Julian one of the titan techs. It was fascinating to watch. They also take you on a tour of the manufacturing facility. That alone is worth it. It gave me peace of mind with the motor to know exactly how it was built and what quality control procedures Titan has in place to guarantee your motor is rock solid.

Andy

Titan assembly now shares a room in the Mattituck Continental overhaul facility in Fairhope, Alabama. Continental can be particular about facility access, so best call JB to check on current procedures.

Titan assembly now shares a room in the Mattituck Continental overhaul facility in Fairhope, Alabama. Continental can be particular about facility access, so best call JB to check on current procedures.

I was fortunate enough that before they moved to AL i had the opportunity to watch Bobby Looper build my engine. Spectacular guy, spectacular experience.

Unfortunately Bobby told me at OSH that they are not offering this in their new location, though he is conscious of the benefit of builder inclusion and told me he's working on changing minds and policies.

Back