What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Choices, running out of room...

upperdeck

Well Known Member
I'm going all Garmin, and I'm running out of room...

On my center stack, I have to use at least one remote component due to restraints on panel space.

My choice is either sacrifice the GMC307 autopilot controller and use what's on the G3x display (this route is cheaper too) and keep the GMA245 on the panel.

OR

Keep the GMC307 autopilot controller on the panel and use the remote audio panel GMA245R.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Unfortunately, since I'm using an Aerosport panel, extending it isn't an option...

Oh, yep that's a problem if you are outta space.

In that case I would go with the 245R and keep the 307.

Which version of their panel are you using?

Using their symmetrical panel for the rv7. The left and right areas are all spoken for with dual screens. Only flexible space is the center stack.

Can you explain why? Ease of use of one over the other? Thanks for the input!

The remote audio panel interface seems to be really well done when you look at the video Brian Hupe did for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCPbHP-oMA8

But then again, so are the screen based AP controls.

A video showing the 307 in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8o0Nk8E0S4

Many of the common audio functions are handled by soft buttons at the top of the screen in addition to the full audio/intercom pane limiting the need to cover up valuable screen space during use.

Having dedicated AP controls just makes sense to me because to me you don't want to lose valuable screen space to the AP controls during many critical phases of flight where you need to be interacting with the AP. There are also the tactical feel and muscle memory factors that come into play with dedicated knobs and buttons which make a ton of sense when interacting with controls like the AP.

Top to bottom is the G5, below that the GTN650, then a GTR200, then either the audio panel or the autopilot controller. Bill at UpNorthAviation has laid out the stack with all I want and it just doesn't fit... Thus the decision I'm trying to make.

Top to bottom is the G5, below that the GTN650, then a GTR200, then either the audio panel or the autopilot controller. Bill at UpNorthAviation has laid out the stack with all I want and it just doesn't fit... Thus the decision I'm trying to make.

Here is what I would try:

G5
GTN650
remote mount the radio as a GTR 20
GMA245
GMC307

Have you considered the GTR 20 instead of the GTR200? Should make an awesome second com radio along with the GTN. The new remote control integration features of the Touch of the GTN make it look and feel very similar.
The integration with the Touch works really well and the common features are handled at the top of the screen reducing the need to consume screen space as well.
watch

Last edited:
Here's Bill's drawing, all credit to him, he's done an incredible job so far!

Stack.jpg

I already own the GTR200 since I really like the idea of having actual knobs for the radio. I'm thinking the GMA245R is the way to go...

Here's Bill's drawing, all credit to him, he's done an incredible job so far!

Stack.jpg

I already own the GTR200 since I really like the idea of having actual knobs for the radio. I'm thinking the GMA245R is the way to go...

Without seeing one of these panels in person to understand how critical that yellow dashed line is to the whole assembly, I would not say for sure but it appears like if you got rid of that gap below the G5 and if you could trim some of that yellow away, you maybe could make it all fit. It may even be easier if you swap spots with the 307 and the 245 because the 245 needs a tray and the 307 does not. The 307 does not need much of a panel edge to grab hold of....

If you already have the GTR200 and you don't want to trim or just can't trim, I would say you are making a smart choice with the 245R & keeping the 307.

To interpret Bill's drawing, the red line is the edge of the metal panel. The yellow dashed line is the outline of the carbon fiber flange of the panel frame behind it. Some of the cf can/would be trimmed away. The problem is the round dots around the perimeter of the frame. Those are the screw holes that fasten the metal panel to the cf that it mounts to and they aren't very flexible.

And thanks for all the input!!!

To interpret Bill's drawing, the red line is the edge of the metal panel. The yellow dashed line is the outline of the carbon fiber flange of the panel frame behind it. Some of the cf can/would be trimmed away. The problem is the round dots around the perimeter of the frame. Those are the screw holes that fasten the metal panel to the cf that it mounts to and they aren't very flexible.

And thanks for all the input!!!

Maybe if you flip flop the 307 with the 245 and get rid of the gap between the G5 and the GTN, the 307 would clear those screw locations?

I love having the 307 right above my engine controls. Makes it super easy to interact with the AP!

EDIT: Just be careful if you are building a tipup. The GTN can only go so high in the panel otherwise it will run into the tipup rib/frame.

Last edited:
Well I'm not using that type of panel, but I did go with an asymmetrical configuration. The reason was that I was able to have my backup instrument (mini-X in my case) and my 10" G3X panel on the pilot section. I then have the full radio stack available. I did have to go with a 7" display for the copilot side of the panel. This might be an option that you want to investigate.

Back