What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New paint...well kinda

bret

Well Known Member
Not able to afford the fly your plane in naked and pick up all done, I have been working on this project 6 years now, pay and paint as I go......what ya think, be honest.....I worked 14 hrs on it today.

20160408_124701_zpsmjqucmdu.jpg

Bret,
The stripes are not very defined - a little fuzzy. Use some tape and you will get a cleaner edge. Ha! Looking good. I want to see your paint scheme.

If you pass me up and finish before me, you owe me a ride! We can go buzz MWTC!!

Have fun.

Ya that's my plan, but I'm a year or two out financially.......unless Dynon has a give away sometime in the new future......

I'm thinking I need to get my eyes checked, Cuzz I'm seeing some weird things going on......:D

I was going to use my paint booth in the background but thought it was too much work to set it up around the fuse, plus, it has been collecting dust for three years.....three years? dang where does the time go.... fuse intense scrub down with maroon scotch bright, clean and epoxy primer, block sanded, another round of epoxy primer and wet block sanding, grease and wax remover and tack cloth, shoot underline color, and then fine line at color borders and EKG.

DSC04670_zpscx5sbx0x.jpg

I Like It!

I like it, this is what building your own plane is about, everything from custom engines to paint jobs. Are the stripes suppose to be an EKG pattern?

Well done.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the final paint job on your plane. I was impressed when you did the wheel pants!
Looking good Bret.

Well, its ok....at 25 feet, no booth, no filters, cheap gun, got some runs to fix and a few masking errs.....

20160408_195548_zpscsmud0y4.jpg

20160409_073454_zpsnbwq5oqp.jpg

20160408_181050_zpslab3epup.jpg

20160408_210038_zps0hij4ybx.jpg

OK, let me you tube that razorblade run fixer trick......so done with this paint thing. Survived another round of spraying poisonous ISOs and pissed off spouse because I'm painting an airplane in the house garage thing ;-)

Let me guess...you're a cardiologist? Oh wait, if you were you could have afforded a paint shop to do it!It looks good. Go fly!

congrats!

Bret,

You are the man! I used to paint my RC planes in the garage, still a huge mess despite the small size. You must have enormous amount of courage to be able to do this in your garage. :D

No, I'm a poor blue color worker, believe me, if I had the money to pay someone to paint this, I would, if fact, if given the choice of drilling a hole in my finger again, or painting another airplane, I would ask, what size drill bit?

Bret,

You are the man! I used to paint my RC planes in the garage, still a huge mess despite the small size. You must have enormous amount of courage to be able to do this in your garage. :D

Big mess for sure, there is purple dust EVERYWHERE! I am going to have to repaint my garage white, wait did I just say paint? Arg....

pissed off spouse because I'm painting an airplane in the house garage thing ;-)[/QUOTE]

I find this to be one of the most challenging aspects of a project like this. far more difficult to recover from than a hole drilled in your finger.

Given that you have a lot of idle time waiting for funds, you can wet sand and buff all of that orange peel out. It will be a mirror when you're done. Let us know if you need some guidance. I know Dan posted a tutorial on it. I have to wet sand and buff everything, as I also paint in the garage and cannot effectively manage the dust.

Larry

Hey Bret,

Looking quite nice!

Your great heart beat scheme gave me an idea to help you smooth things over with your wife...

Available in white, yellow or rose gold $229, also made is a matching bracelet and ring.

This could be a lasting memory of the time you painted the airplane in the garage. :p

ac8unc.jpg

Hey Bret,

Looking quite nice!

Your great heart beat scheme gave me an idea to help you smooth things over with your wife...

Available in white, yellow or rose gold $229, also made is a matching bracelet and ring.

This could be a lasting memory of the time you painted the airplane in the garage. :p

ac8unc.jpg

Well, that is nice and all, but I took us out to Sushi dinner instead......(Lets go out and eat, maybe the smell will be gone when we get home) ya right, maybe in a week or two......where is that, should I primer in my basement dude? Don't Do It!

Back