What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse and finishs kit are here!

bret

Well Known Member
So excited! One question, the kits were delivered here today at 5 deg. it is hard to tell if the canopy has cracks or the plastic is folded. did you pull the plastic off to check?

DSC03156_zpsfc6be802.jpg

See, so excited I can't spell, we'll that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it.

Can't answer your question but you sir are The Man.
Inventory on the living room floor. Well played sir, will played.

Bret,
I have to agree - pretty cool doing the inventory in the house. I was storing my engine in the dining room for awhile and yesterday I put the front wheel -gear together in the living room, but I had to do inventory in the garage!

The big surprise is you didn't paint it as you took it out of the crates!!

If your shop is as dusty as mine, leave the plastic on. You'll be able to tell if there is any cracks with the plastic on. The plastic canopy bubble is surprisingly resiliant. Just keep it warm when you work on it!

Try putting a really bright floodlight behind the canopy. You will be able to get a pretty good look at any flaws in the plexi. I am sure it is fine, however you do not want to find out there is a crack after you have made the big cut and spent the time installing it. Plus it'd be difficult to convince Van's it was not your fault upon returning it.

as 'dose guys said ...

...leave the plastic on as long as you possibly can. I left it on until 2 months before my final DAR inspection, and my canopy was PURRfect the day I taxied it for the first time. That would NOT have been the case, had I removed the plastic a year earlier when tempted. Too many opportunities in most shops for a ding or unintentional scratch.

I had my wings stored in the living room for a while...good conversation-starter.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ - flying

So excited! One question, the kits were delivered here today at 5 deg. it is hard to tell if the canopy has cracks or the plastic is folded. did you pull the plastic off to check?

DSC03156_zpsfc6be802.jpg

You're NOT married. Just a guess.....:D

Back