What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll your own iPad mini Knee board

AX-O

Well Known Member
So I have been looking for an iPad mini knee board for a couple of weeks. Santa was nice to me and the iPad showed up unannounced. As some of you may know, there are few products out there supporting the mini. The knee board products that are out there are few and expensive. And on top of that are not as simple as I want them to be. So I started thinking about rolling my own. This is what I did.

I went to store X and bought a plastic iPad cover.
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG

I took my nine-g knew board out and measured it. Compared the paper checklist to the iPad.
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG

I then laid the plastic strap over the iPad cover and marked it. Then to the cutting board.
IMG_0877.JPG

Back to my 9-g knee board and voila! It took me longer to write this up than to roll my own knee board. Total cost was $20. It was simple, light, elegant and hopefully functional. I can stand up and the iPad remains on the knee board.
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG

Hope to fly it this weekend. I should trade mark this or something. Way too easy to do and someone will probably see this post and mass produce it.

Theft of Design

OK Axel, I am shamelessly going to copy your design. I have also been looking for a better way with out crunching my iPad mini with my kneeboard clamp.

Besides, why re-invent the wheel. :D

IPAD Mini in the cockpit

I took my new IPAD mini Christmas present on its first flight yesterday loaded with Garmin Pilot App.

In my RV6-A on a bright sunny day there was not one place in the cockpit that the screen was readable. I tried everywhere and it looked like the only place would be under the panel betwwen my knees.

The screen was so highly reflective it was like a mirror.

Will a screen protector fix this problem? If so, which one do you recommend??

Will a screen protector fix this problem? If so, which one do you recommend??

It will help a lot.

I got about 100 hr of ipad 1 use in my rv. I put an anti glare film on it. I also put one on my wife's because she could not see movies while in the back seat. We do the same in the company aircraft.

I have flown the mini for about 10 hours using the Targus Screen Protector. It is expensive but works well.

Anti-glare

Axel, is the Targus screen protector also anti glare? I found the plain version but not an anti-glare version.

Gary

Mini knee board

Close to the same solution – I purchase the Otterbox case and

mini1.jpg

then went to the Loews aircraft supply and purchase elastic Velco straps with the loop.

mini2.jpg

Two rivits later a knee board for the mini.

mini3.jpg
mini4.jpg

mini5.jpg

Last edited:
kneeboard for android tablet? review?

I usually fly with a kneeboard but have just been balancing my 10" Samsung tablet on my kneeboard. Are there any good recommendations for a good kneeboard to use?
I liked the look of the flightoutfitters ipad kneeboard but always love a review.

Back