What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is the proper edicate for dual postings?

charosenz

Well Known Member
I have a post that seems to fit in two threads. I have heard it is not proper to post it in two different threads. Is that right?

If so, then I just need to pick one thread and then may be post a link to it in the other thread?

Not that it matters but it is about my personal test comparison on pulled rivets.

Charlie

one place

You should just pick a place and put it there. Sometimes if it's really in the wrong place, a kind moderator will move it to what they believe is a better place. Moderators usually remove duplicate posts.

The etiquette is: don't dual post.

Most of us read the forum by hitting the "New Posts" button anyway, so we'll just see it twice. Which subforum the post is in is largely irrelevant.

The etiquette is: don't dual post.

Most of us read the forum by hitting the "New Posts" button anyway, so we'll just see it twice.

Yep, agreed.

Which subforum the post is in is largely irrelevant.

While the above is pretty much correct when the posting is current, it is a different animal altogether when someone goes searching for a specific post/thread a year or two later.

The main reason I move things to the forum that (IMHO) fits best is for later simplicity in finding it.

I thought the dual post was unwelcome, I just could not find it in the instructions or "read tis" section so thank you.

Just to clarify....Is providing a link to it in a different thread also a problem?

Thanks.

Charlie

I thought the dual post was unwelcome, I just could not find it in the instructions or "read tis" section so thank you.

Just to clarify....Is providing a link to it in a different thread also a problem?

Thanks.

Charlie

If the sole purpose of the second thread is to provide a link to the other thread......that is double posting, and will most likely be deleted by a moderator.

Just pick an appropriate sub-forum, post once and there is no problem. :)

While the above is pretty much correct when the posting is current, it is a different animal altogether when someone goes searching for a specific post/thread a year or two later.

The main reason I move things to the forum that (IMHO) fits best is for later simplicity in finding it.
As someone who used to religiously sort my emails into folders for "easier finding later", I can say with certainty that this is a wasted effort. The Search function will find the posting faster than scrolling through individual forums.

A much more valuable feature would be the ability to tag posts with categories, and allow multiple categories per post. Then one could select posts by category if they felt they needed to see just posts related to that category.

Last edited:
The Search function will find the posting faster than scrolling through individual forums.

Aha, but I see no reason to scroll through each forum, you can direct the search to look in a specific forum.

Saves lots of false hits from the various forums that are not the correct subject.

Back