What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Triple Tree Aerodrome Total Eclipse Fly-In Aug 20-22

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Triple Tree Aerodrome Total Eclipse Fly-In Aug 20-22 .. anybody going?

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/eclipse-fly-in.php

We are (sadly) driving up to the event .. no rental companies like landings on non-FAA approved grass fields .. even though Triple Tree's field grass field is nicer than some of the paved fields out there lol but hey that's fine still going to enjoy the eclipse and see a ton of airplanes and people.

Anybody else going?

If the weather cooperates, I intend to be there the morning of and leave shortly thereafter.

Just found out the wife is going to be out of town, so I think I am going to fly up Sunday afternoon and camp two nights with my K9 copilot. Weather looks great so far.

Chris

Just found out the wife is going to be out of town, so I think I am going to fly up Sunday afternoon and camp two nights with my K9 copilot. Weather looks great so far.

Chris

Chris, You may want to check to make sure the K9 is welcome.
Lot's of plane activity within the runway & taxiway, camping.

I'm considering going up Sunday & returning early evening back to CLW

Last edited:
Chris, You may want to check to make sure the K9 is welcome.
Lot's of plane activity within the runway & taxiway, camping.

I'm considering going up Sunday & returning early evening back to CLW

The FAQ says dogs are welcome on a leash. Fortunately mine is used to being around planes and people, so I think he will enjoy it. Plus it looks like some good hiking spots for us. Hopefully we will see you there.

Chris

I may need to depart Triple Tree just before the official eclipse is over at 4pm. Will departures be allowed during the eclipse?

Ben

I hope everyone flying in will read and adhere to the published arrival procedure!!!

Last edited:
Triple Tree

Perhaps I can offer some answers.

First, dogs are absolutely welcome as long as they are on a leash and well behaved. We love dogs!

Next, no operations are permitted during nightime or, in this case, the 2.5 minutes that the eclipse causes similiar conditions. Good visibility is even more critical as Triple Tree will NOT have our usual advisory tower personnel. An unprecedented number of arrivals are expected into the GSP/GMU/GYH airports and this requires our normal volunteers to work their real job. So, if it looks like daybreak, and you can clearly see and be seen, you can go.

As for the arrival, we suggest you plan to utilize the published arrival and make the normal downwind and final radio calls as is usual at all uncontrolled airports. Please keep radio transmissions short and succint. . Please plan to utilize runway 03 and turn right, off the runway as soon as possible.

Triple Tree is beautiful and it's going to be a great time.

Last edited:
I hope to be at a Triple Tree on Monday. Is anybody going from the Lancaster, PA area that could give me a ride up there? My plane will be heading south from a Triple Tree. Please email or PM me if possible.

Perhaps I can offer some answers.

First, dogs are absolutely welcome as long as they are on a leash and well behaved. We love dogs!

Next, no operations are permitted during nightime or, in this case, the 2.5 minutes that the eclipse causes similiar conditions. Good visibility is even more critical as Triple Tree will NOT have our usual advisory tower personnel. An unprecedented number of arrivals are expected into the GSP/GMU/GYH airports and this requires our normal volunteers to work their real job. So, if it looks like daybreak, and you can clearly see and be seen, you can go.

As for the arrival, we suggest you plan to utilize the published arrival and make the normal downwind and final radio calls as is usual at all uncontrolled airports. Please keep radio transmissions short and succint. . Please plan to utilize runway 03 and turn right, off the runway as soon as possible.

Triple Tree is beautiful and it's going to be a great time.

Just confirming that the "published procedure" is from VPWLD to VPENO to SC00 crossing the runway midfield for a left downwind for 03. Downwind held close in not past the western side of the lake.

Is the ground freq of 123.9 going to be in use?

Flying down first thing in the morning with the certified beast since as soon as I started talking about it, the whole family got off work for the day.

I concur on total darkness for 2.4 minutes around 1440, so as I understand it, field closed then but open for departures after, into the partial eclipse, which might get interesting.

We flew down over TT and did laps around the area at 11.5K directly overhead. There were some buildups around that we couldn't get above, but a big open area over TT..amazing how dark it really got FAST ! 2 minutes is a finger snap, and we were headed back to 8A7. Less than 2 hrs for the "round robin", and glad we took the all air plan..TT looked as full as the big fly in, but we don't do heat well. I had to close the vents after it got dark. Mother nature is impressive, and so are RV'S !

We flew down over TT and did laps around the area at 11.5K directly overhead. There were some buildups around that we couldn't get above, but a big open area over TT..amazing how dark it really got FAST ! 2 minutes is a finger snap, and we were headed back to 8A7. Less than 2 hrs for the "round robin", and glad we took the all air plan..TT looked as full as the big fly in, but we don't do heat well. I had to close the vents after it got dark. Mother nature is impressive, and so are RV'S !
Tell us you had a Gopro running.....please!

This was a fun fly-in! Almost 450 planes flew in and the eclipse was incredible. The food was top notch too as well as the company.

Back