What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cross-wind performance

Ausflyer

Well Known Member
I cannot find any reference to the demonstrated cross-wind landing capability of the -14. Has it been published?

I do not recall any published crosswind limits for RV's, but I can tell you the -10 is pretty impressive:eek:

I have demonstrated crosswinds at Geraldton WA where the sock was trying to pull the pole out:eek: I might refrain from "publishing numbers" but lets say it was up there with airliners, not Cessna's.

:)

Probably in the 15 MPH range. My -10 has about full rudder in that scenario, so the -14 should be close. Now, some of those bulletproof guys will show me up:)

Best,

Come on Pierre!!!!

We know you are much better than that.:)

I am nowhere near the stick and rudder man you will be, just be career experience alone, and I have pulled off way more than that, in knots too.

I did not say it was not hard work. Leisa was quite surprised in the RHS too at how the -10 did it.

Trust me, this plane makes me look good! :eek:

if it is up there with the 7(A), which there is no indication to appear otherwise, it can take a lot...

personally landed with 30! kts (but steady) X-wind in the greek isles...
the takeoff later on actually being trickier than the landing.

Cross wind component and top end speed...

I suspect that accurate direct crosswind component reporting is similar to top end speed or cruise performance...

Thats a funny gag, and mine is bigger than yours etc etc..... However I am not kidding when I say that the RV10 is capable of well in excess of many others publish. Having said that the V35B is good for well past its published numbers.

So if done carefully excess of 25 knots is probably possible, and I have landed in 25G35, the ATIS the wind sock and my wind vector all agreed. The sweat dripping out of me did too! :eek:

It was a firm and deliberate landing, and the fun started once on the ground, stick, rudder, brakes. Then opening the doors! :cool:

While I agree the RV's X-wind capability is stunning.

What makes the RV such a great X-wind aircraft is the ability put it exactly where you want/need it. The RV's immediate reaction to control inputs really make cross winds a breeze. (Pun intended.)

I suspect that accurate direct crosswind component reporting is similar to top end speed or cruise performance...

Yep, when this starts becoming a contest of who can state the biggest number, I stop paying attention because there are too many variables associated with reported vs. actual wind speed at the time, wind speed at the runway level vs. anemometer height, how much of the reported wind is sheltered vs. unsheltered, if true crosswind component is actually calculated, etc. I don't know what the big deal is about folks relaying their x-wind capabilities. It's more airplane capability than pilot capability. I mean, you put in aileron and rudder. Not too much of a stretch to call that an oversimplification.

...and when you run out of rudder, what then?

Been there, done that, too many times.

Doesn't matter in a trike. :) Otherwise, land faster, hope you can use brake to get the tail down, touch down crooked and try to gather it up with brake, go somewhere else, etc.

Back