- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Default GRT EchoUAT and SafeFly GPS combination

I have installed the GRT EchoUAT and SafeFly GPS, the former configured by GRT to work with my 2007-vintage WS. My Public ADS-B report looks great, except for NACv (Navigation Accuracy Category for velocity), which is 100% fail. The FAA's Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) Userís Guide states on page 15 that "NACv is based on design data provided by the position source manufacturer."
Question is, has anyone installed the GRT combo with a WS and experienced this problem? I am suspecting a configuration problem, since I have triple-checked the hardware connections and software settings, as set out in GRT's latest version (8) of their GPS-Safe-Fly-Install-Manual.
Any help would be appreciated.
David
Old 09-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Not one to state the obvious, (But I guess I am) have you talked to GRT tech support? They should be able to quickly identify the problem. I have the WS system and installed the Garmin GTX 335. I found them willing to assist my installation issues.

Last edited by Tankerpilot75 : 09-17-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuura View Post
I have installed the GRT EchoUAT and SafeFly GPS, the former configured by GRT to work with my 2007-vintage WS. My Public ADS-B report looks great, except for NACv (Navigation Accuracy Category for velocity), which is 100% fail. The FAA's Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) Userís Guide states on page 15 that "NACv is based on design data provided by the position source manufacturer."
Question is, has anyone installed the GRT combo with a WS and experienced this problem? I am suspecting a configuration problem, since I have triple-checked the hardware connections and software settings, as set out in GRT's latest version (8) of their GPS-Safe-Fly-Install-Manual.
Any help would be appreciated.
David
The GRT manual says this:

"Sport or Horizon WS* These units are not compatible with the serial data combiner and GPS accuracy indicator functions provided by the Safe-Fly GPS, nor can these units be used to configure the Safe-Fly GPS. The Safe-Fly may be ordered pre-configured as needed at no charge, allowing it provide GPS data to your ADS-B output device. In addition, a serial output from the Safe-Fly may be configured to provide NMEA0183 GPS data to these EFIS models."

It sounds like GRT has to do some factory tweaking to the GPS unit?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:53 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
Not one to state the obvious, (But I guess I am) have you talked to GRT tech support? They should be able to quickly identify the problem. I have the WS system and installed the Garmin GTX 335. I found them willing to assist my installation issues.
Yes, I have, and just got off the phone with Jeff. Happily, I am not the first person to encounter the NACv failure. In the first instance, uAvionics asked GRT to ascertain the user's EchoUAT Device Version, which can be found by tapping the "echo" logo at the top of the monitor page of Echo app - but that only yields a result when the app is connected to the EchoUAT. I have to wait until tomorrow to do that.
Regarding NACv, the EchoUAT is supposed to transmit that value within the data stream, but apparently is not at this time. Jeff is going to work on getting an answer from uAvionix.

In regard to this question "It sounds like GRT has to do some factory tweaking to the GPS unit?". The first time I received the Safe-Fly/Echo combo from GRT, it was not configured to work with the WS, so I sent if back. I had been pestering John for months and in his haste to satisfy my request he forgot to ask what system I have. Anyway, my Safe-Fly/Echo combo now is configured to work with the WS (and other EFISes that are not able to control the combo). As I understand it, the WS-type configuration can only be changed at GRT, since the WS is just a dumb device that can only display two things - ADS-B In data and GPS data from the Safe-Fly, which it does marvelously, I might add. What the WS cannot do it talk back to the Safe-Fly/Echo combo.

Sorry for the wordy, and perhaps overly detailed explanation, but it might be of interest to others.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Interesting. Please post any updates about your experiences and resolution - it will be helpful for others.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:29 AM

Default Good to know

This information is good to know because my brother has ordered one for his 12 and he has two GRT Sport(SX) EFIS's installed.
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
Interesting. Please post any updates about your experiences and resolution - it will be helpful for others.
Since you asked, here is an account of yesterday's flight.
- Device version. After connecting to the Echo via the app, tapped the Echo logo repeatedly, and eventually got the device version on the Monitor screen. Interestingly, the Configuration screen shows a bunch of additional information, to include three tantalizing "advanced settings" (SDA, SIL, and Transponder Threshold). The SIL showed a "1", and since the FAA's PAPR User Guide says a 2 or 3 are required to pass, I changed SIL to 3 and updated the advanced settings.
-Flight. I accomplished one flight with SIL set to 3, requested a performance report, and got a "failed to generate a result" response. I did two other flights, with SIL 2, and then SIL 1, and got the same failed result. Because the performance request does not specify a time, only a day, it's possible I got the SIL 3 failure the next two times I requested a report.
- ADS-B in. I have the SafeFly wired to serial 2 in on the WS, so that I can see ADS-B in data in addition to seeing it in Foreflight on my Iphone and Ipad. Throughout the flight, this data showed up correctly on the WS. However, on the Iphone (I didn't have the Ipad on board yesterday) the data appeared and disappeared randomly. I got an "incompatible device" message on the Foreflight Maps page once, and "ADS-B disconnect" once also - although ADS-B in data disappeared more than once.

So... I emailed all this to Jeff at GRT, and he said he would forward the info to uAvionix. The GRT SafeFly appears to be working correctly, in that the In data shows up on the WS, and the Out GPS data shown on the Echo Monitor screen is complete. The EchoUAT ADS-B Out functionality, however, does not appear to be working correctly. I hope to hear back very soon from Jeff on what might be going on there. Regarding the ADS-B In functionality, the fact that it works consistently on the hard-wired WS screen indicates it's working reliably. The fact that it is intermittent in Foreflight seems to be a Foreflight issue, not a uAvionix one. I have observed numerous "ADS-B disconnect" messages in the past when I was using my Stratux with Foreflight. See conversation at https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/issues/642 for further views on that.

As soon as I get a response from GRT I will post it. Hoping for good news...
Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM

The performance report shows the time (GMT) of the flight being reported, so you can tell if it was flight 1, 2, or 3.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The performance report shows the time (GMT) of the flight being reported, so you can tell if it was flight 1, 2, or 3.
As I wrote, the performance report REQUEST does not allow the user to specify a time, so with more than one flight in a day you cannot request a report for a specific flight. The point is if you adjust settings in an attempt to generate a report on a given day, you may not know the result.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 AM

With multiple flights in the same Zulu day, the PAPPR will be based on the longest (time-wise) flight.