What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AILERON DEFLECTION AND ROLL RATE

ALMARTON

Well Known Member
Folks,

Bought my RV-7A did not build it myself. So I do not have access to some specifications.

I've been noticing some slow roll rate on it. I did time the aileron roll rate on it as 75 to 85 degrees per second that is slow when compared with the average 105 to 115 deg/sec on others RV-7As.

So I wonder if I may have to adjust aileron deflections or it may be some issue involving AP installation or bell crank related.

So I please ask anyone with the information which is the aileron deflection limits for a RV7A. Or if someone had similar problems and how it was corrected.

* As it is it is rolling as slow as a RV9 and it is not fit to aerobatics (main purpose when buying the 7)

Many thanks.

You should have gotten the build manual along with the plane. If not, get one from Van's.

Section 15:

Design Travel in degrees Maximum Up/Down Minimum Up/Down
Elevator 30/25 25/20
Aileron 32/17 25/15
Rudder 35/35 l/r 30/30 l/r
Flaps 40/45
Trim Tab 25/35

You should have gotten the build manual along with the plane. If not, get one from Van's.

Section 15:

Design Travel in degrees Maximum Up/Down Minimum Up/Down
Elevator 30/25 25/20
Aileron 32/17 25/15
Rudder 35/35 l/r 30/30 l/r
Flaps 40/45
Trim Tab 25/35

Nice thanks!

Nice thanks!

You're welcome, but to reiterate...either get the original build manual from whomever you bought the plane from, or get a copy from Van's somehow. There is much, much more in there you'll need to know to own and maintain the aircraft.

Folks,

Bought my RV-7A did not build it myself. So I do not have access to some specifications.

I've been noticing some slow roll rate on it. I did time the aileron roll rate on it as 75 to 85 degrees per second that is slow when compared with the average 105 to 115 deg/sec on others RV-7As.

So I wonder if I may have to adjust aileron deflections or it may be some issue involving AP installation or bell crank related.

So I please ask anyone with the information which is the aileron deflection limits for a RV7A. Or if someone had similar problems and how it was corrected.

* As it is it is rolling as slow as a RV9 and it is not fit to aerobatics (main purpose when buying the 7)

Many thanks.

How do you measure your role rate?

Reason I asked is that I noticed a lower roll rate then I though I should have in my RV-8 at one point too.

I was certain I was using full aileron deflection, however, when I looked at the Dynon logs (in particular the AP roll indicator which records your stick position 16 times a second if the AP is on or not) I noticed that I did start out with full deflection but then I seem to have relaxed my stick just a little bit... .

In my case that averaged out to 90degrees versus 120 degrees. Actually looking at the logs now I see about 140 degrees when the roll is established which seems to average out to 120 degrees for a one turn roll (you have to start and stop rolling ...).

All easy to work out with the Dynon logs... .

So before taking the controls apart you might double-check your measurements... .

Oliver

You're welcome, but to reiterate...either get the original build manual from whomever you bought the plane from, or get a copy from Van's somehow. There is much, much more in there you'll need to know to own and maintain the aircraft.

I got a owners manual... and I service it on a authorized shop. I got hold of some plans also.

How do you measure your role rate?

Reason I asked is that I noticed a lower roll rate then I though I should have in my RV-8 at one point too.

I was certain I was using full aileron deflection, however, when I looked at the Dynon logs (in particular the AP roll indicator which records your stick position 16 times a second if the AP is on or not) I noticed that I did start out with full deflection but then I seem to have relaxed my stick just a little bit... .

In my case that averaged out to 90degrees versus 120 degrees. Actually looking at the logs now I see about 140 degrees when the roll is established which seems to average out to 120 degrees for a one turn roll (you have to start and stop rolling ...).

All easy to work out with the Dynon logs... .

So before taking the controls apart you might double-check your measurements... .

Oliver

Oliver thanks for the inputs... its is not the case with me.

When I first started flying my RV-6 I was surprised to find that applying FULL aileron produces buffeting from the Ailerons and that at best the roll rate is only the same as at about 80% deflection - maybe even less.

My preferred way of measuring this is an in cockpit gopro or similar - preferably showing the stick position as well if possible - just fly 2 continuous same direction rolls and time the video.

I got a owners manual... and I service it on a authorized shop. I got hold of some plans also.

Good deal. I meant to say earlier that you can get the complete set of plans AND construction manual from Van's on a DVD for (IIRC) $10.00.

The advantage of that is you can put them on a memory stick or your phone or tablet and have them with you all the time, so that in the event of a problem away from home, you have quite a bit of info to assist you in solving the problem.

I did the same with all of my schematics, avionics manuals, engine documentation, etc.

I am curious why you started another new discussion on the exact same subject as you did a couple weeks ago...... you never responded in that thread with info regarding what you found after checking things that were suggested.......

I am curious why you started another new discussion on the exact same subject as you did a couple weeks ago...... you never responded in that thread with info regarding what you found after checking things that were suggested.......

Which thread you refer to?

Back