Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM

I just looked at the uavionix install manual, and have a question: what transponder are you using?

I'm sure that you've triple checked your settings. The manual notes several parameters that need to be set to avoid a report failure.

About FF connectivity. You mention that you've also had trouble with Stratus connectivity in your airplane. What versions of FF and iOS are installed? Do you have the problem with both the iPad and the iPhone? What models are they? Any other WiFi devices in the plane?

I've found that sometimes having a friend go through / double check the setup procedures with you at the plane is helpful.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAJohnson View Post
With multiple flights in the same Zulu day, the PAPPR will be based on the longest (time-wise) flight.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
I just looked at the uavionix install manual, and have a question: what transponder are you using?

I'm sure that you've triple checked your settings. The manual notes several parameters that need to be set to avoid a report failure.

About FF connectivity. You mention that you've also had trouble with Stratus connectivity in your airplane. What versions of FF and iOS are installed? Do you have the problem with both the iPad and the iPhone? What models are they? Any other WiFi devices in the plane?

I've found that sometimes having a friend go through / double check the setup procedures with you at the plane is helpful.
Transponder: Garmin GTX330. Per uAvionix's EchoUAT installation manual "CONTROL, SQUAWK and Barometric ALTITUDE is learned wirelessly from the Legacy Transponder interrogation replies." It's only in the case of the GTX327 that a physical connection is depicted.

Settings: yes, more than triple checked. It's instructive to note that the uAvionix installation manual's appendix regarding GRT installation is for GRT units that can control the EchoUAT, which my WS is not capable of doing. GRT's manual (the latest, revision G, 8/23/17) has a section that covers installation and settings for pairing with WS. I have been over this part with Mark and Jeff several times, traced and rung every connection, reviewed every setting (to include sending screen grabs of the Echo app's screens), etc...

FF connectivity: I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem until I found the thread at https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/issues/642. I am using FF version 9.3.1, iPhone 6 Plus is running 10.3.3, iPad Pro (9.7", MLYM2LL/a) also running 10.3.3. No other wifi devices in the airplane.

EchoUAT configuration: I connected to the Echo via wifi yesterday with my computer (http://192.168.4.1) per the instructions listed at https://www.uavionix.com/support/upd...ouat-software/ and http://www.uavionix.com/support/upda...i-fi-software/ and confirmed that its wifi and ads-b software versions are the latest.

Jeff is awaiting a response from uAvionix regarding their analysis of the NACv failure.

Thanks for everyone's sustained attention to this issue, and for suggested solutions.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Hi David,

Any updates on this story? Just curious how it all worked out. I'm about to start working on the documentation for installing the GRT SafeFly GPS and EchoUAT into the fleet of about 110 GRT-equipped Jabiru S-LSA's. It could get complicated because many of our older aircraft still have WS systems, and we've used at least 5 different models/brands of transponders...

Katie
Jabiru J200 flying after restoration and new panel!
Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 PM

Hello Katie,

We sent David's unit to uAvionics and they confirmed the NACv output error. They have since released software updates for the echoUAT to 0.3.16 and 2.4.8 which fixes the NACv output error.

We also got confirmation from uAvionics that David has flown and confirmed the NACv scaling is correct for our Safely GPS and uAvionics UAT.

As for configuration of the Safe Fly GPS, it can be changed with any current GRT EFIS (HX/HXr/SX/Mini/EX).

For those that buy the Safe Fly GPS as a stand alone, that is customers that don't have a current GRT EFIS or no GRT EFIS at all you will not be able to change the Safe Fly configuration. It will need to be factory set to the proper configuration for the connected hardware if the factory default doesn't provide the required format. We are looking into changing the default configuration that we factory set the Safe Fly GPS for the most popular use cases. If using the Safe Fly in a stand alone, let us know that and what hardware you are hooking it up to and we will factory set the configuration for you.

-Marc Robertson
Project Manager
GRT Avionics
Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 AM

As usual, GRT is both on top of the issue and communicating openly and clearly about its resolution. Just one more reason why I'm pleased with my GRT units. Now all I have to do is go fly them!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
As usual, GRT is both on top of the issue and communicating openly and clearly about its resolution. Just one more reason why I'm pleased with my GRT units. Now all I have to do is go fly them!
I'll second that. I have had a handful of minor issues with my GRT setup and they have always been responsive and fair.

Larry
Old 10-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Default me too

I love my Mini!
Based - GPM
Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 PM

Default Safe-Fly + EchoUAT for Hx units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Hello Katie,

We sent David's unit to uAvionics and they confirmed the NACv output error. They have since released software updates for the echoUAT to 0.3.16 and 2.4.8 which fixes the NACv output error.

We also got confirmation from uAvionics that David has flown and confirmed the NACv scaling is correct for our Safely GPS and uAvionics UAT.

As for configuration of the Safe Fly GPS, it can be changed with any current GRT EFIS (HX/HXr/SX/Mini/EX).

For those that buy the Safe Fly GPS as a stand alone, that is customers that don't have a current GRT EFIS or no GRT EFIS at all you will not be able to change the Safe Fly configuration. It will need to be factory set to the proper configuration for the connected hardware if the factory default doesn't provide the required format. We are looking into changing the default configuration that we factory set the Safe Fly GPS for the most popular use cases. If using the Safe Fly in a stand alone, let us know that and what hardware you are hooking it up to and we will factory set the configuration for you.

-Marc Robertson
Project Manager
GRT Avionics
So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the GRT Safe-Fly system to replace the NavWorx AD600EXP unit currently in my plane. Has anyone successfully done this and gotten a 100% OK FAA performance report? Has there been any NACv failures with this setup (assuming you have the latest UAT software Ver 0.3.16 & 2.4.8)?

My installation requires that the Safe-Fly GPS to also be a secondary GPS (GPS2) as a backup to the GNS-480 Navigator for IFR operations. The manual says this can be accomplished, but has anyone else done it?

My aircraft has three Hx displays. THe NavWorx unit is currently driving all three displays. How should the the GRT Safe-Fly system be wired to get the same performance?

How dependable has the uAvionix EchoUAT been in picking up the transponder altitude & squawk codes? Have there been any FAA performance issues with this data?

Does anyone have any practical feedback for these issues?
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred.Stucklen View Post
So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the GRT Safe-Fly system to replace the NavWorx AD600EXP unit currently in my plane. Has anyone successfully done this and gotten a 100% OK FAA performance report? Has there been any NACv failures with this setup (assuming you have the latest UAT software Ver 0.3.16 & 2.4.8)?

My installation requires that the Safe-Fly GPS to also be a secondary GPS (GPS2) as a backup to the GNS-480 Navigator for IFR operations. The manual says this can be accomplished, but has anyone else done it?

My aircraft has three Hx displays. THe NavWorx unit is currently driving all three displays. How should the the GRT Safe-Fly system be wired to get the same performance?

How dependable has the uAvionix EchoUAT been in picking up the transponder altitude & squawk codes? Have there been any FAA performance issues with this data?

Does anyone have any practical feedback for these issues?
I have not done any of the above. But I am pretty sure that any HX units that are interconnected via ethernet will share traffic and weather, you only need to connect one of them to the Echo. Any HX not on the ethernet link will need its own rs232 input from the Echo.
What transponder do you have? If you have a Garmin 327 you can hard-wire it, and then have no dependence on it getting pinged, receiving the RF, etc.