- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Canít get oil gurgle after 10 months idle

My RV-12 Rotax 912 has not been started for 10 months while doing ACI, brake job, satisfying SBís, etc. l recently thought it would be a good idea to turn the prop by hand to pump the oil back into the oil canister. (A fresh oil change was done just before my final flight 10 months ago). Well, the first thing I noticed when I started turning the prop was that the engine compression seemed low. I kept turning the prop - about 100 revs - and I never could get the ďgurgleĒ. Can someone explain what is going on an tell me what to do. I donít intend to try starting the engine until Iím sure everything is back to normal.

Donation Made for 2018
Old 06-06-2018, 09:41 AM

First off, be sure that there is oil in the engine.

Second, be sure you are pulling the prop through relatively slowly with a 2-3 second pause at the point of each cylinder's maximum compression -- quickly rotating the prop delays the gurgling process.

You could perform an oil system purge (the process is described in the ROTAX service manuals) to ensure that there is no unwanted air in the system and that the oil is properly flowing.

After the purge, you could remove the top spark plugs and quickly turn the prop by hand -- you should see oil pressure registering on the oil pressure gauge.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM

As David has suggested...do an oil purge per Rotax service buliten (your valves are probably not sealing...hence, no compression. Which is needed to return oil to tank.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Do not turn the prop fast. Turn it slowly until at the top of a compression stroke, then pause for a few seconds, then repeat, pausing at the top of each compression stroke. The pause gives time for air to leak past the piston rings and pressurize the crankcase. The pressure in the crankcase will push oil out and into the tank. Does any oil show on the dipstick?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Jim --

I trust that you know NOT to turn the ROTAX 912's propeller backwards any significant amount. Doing so has the potential to introduce air into the oil system -- not a good thing.

BTW, the ROTAX Service Instruction for oil system purging can be found at:
https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_...-912-018r2.pdf

-- David
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM

Even following all the previous tips, it took FOREVER for mine to gurgle after sitting for some months. I think that the valves don't seal quite as good after sitting, and therefore the crankcase pressure is less than normal getting by the rings..
Old 06-06-2018, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll try again and follow your suggestions. Yes, I do know not to turn the prop backwards. And I’m sure there is a full load of oil in the engine. I made only 1 short flight right after an oil change and there have been no oil leaks, so it has to still be in there. I think I WAS turning the prop too fast. I’ll slow down next time.
I’m not sure what the oil purge is suppose to do for this problem.
— Jim McCarter

Donation Made for 2018
Old 06-06-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMac View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Iíll try again and follow your suggestions. Yes, I do know not to turn the prop backwards. And Iím sure there is a full load of oil in the engine. I made only 1 short flight right after an oil change and there have been no oil leaks, so it has to still be in there. I think I WAS turning the prop too fast. Iíll slow down next time.
Iím not sure what the oil purge is suppose to do for this problem.
ó Jim McCarter
Jim,

Please follow up with us and let us know how this turns out.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Even following all the previous tips, it took FOREVER for mine to gurgle after sitting for some months. I think that the valves don't seal quite as good after sitting, and therefore the crankcase pressure is less than normal getting by the rings..
Why would the valves not seat? Have never seen that on any auto engines that I have worked on.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXflyer View Post
Why would the valves not seat? Have never seen that on any auto engines that I have worked on.
I think the reference was to lifter bodies pumping up with air if oil not purged correctly. You'd have to draw air into oil pump/pressure galleries.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks