VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-28-2018, 07:15 AM

Default Condition Inspection in One Day

For the last 9 years I've done my RV9A's condition inspection with the help of my local shop for the engine. But approaching 10 years, I thought it was time to have an RV expert look it over. Living in FL, I thought of Jessie Saint's operation in Dunnellon X35. I call and arranged to fly in. We allocated 2 days.

But with the help of Isaac, Phillip and Jessie we finished by 5:30pm the first day. This was a complete inspection including changing oil and filter and repacking the wheel bearings. My RV is pretty clean, but Jessie did find and replace a couple of bolts that were too short by a couple of threads (despite their holding well for the last 9 years).

It usually took me a week or more in the past and I had to do almost all of the work. The price was very reasonable and included a free lunch. My only regret was that I didn't think of this sooner.

If you looking for a reason to fly to FL, this might be a good one. I'll be back next year. Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 AM

My record in the old RV-4 was four hours. I took off the cowling first and let the AI (yes, I know he didn't have to be an AI but that didn't disqualify him) start on the engine. Then I started opening up access panels and floorboards and he followed me around. He had the paperwork done before I had the last screws back in.
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 03-28-2018, 09:24 AM

Before anyone new to the RV community gets the idea that you can do a thorough and proper condition inspection, in accordance with FAR43 appendix D (what our operating limitations require), in four hours..... you can't.

The scenario Bob wrote in his initial post is more what would be expected (20 - 25 man hours or so).

Sure, you can give one a look over in 4 hours, but not done the way it should be done.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-28-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Are you serious

I'm actually quite stunned that there would be bragging rights to how quickly an inspection was done!

I'm asked all the time if I can do an inspection in a day or two if the owner "helps", my answer.. sorry but a thorogh inspection takes time and there is no possible way to do it all in a day. For aircraft I've inspected previously I allow a week, if I haven't done it before I allow 2 weeks. Heck I generally spend a full day just on FWF assuming nothing major is found.

Can someone go thru the motions of completing an inspection in one day, sure but there are different levels of inspections, one is looking at things with the object of getting the aircraft back in service as quickly as possible, the other is what I refer to as a "detailed" inspection with the object being find and correct any and all potential problems and defects.

And of course allowing for only minimal time for repairs in the schedule pretty much insures you won't find much wrong.

I'm not saying any of the above holds true for the OP or anyone else, my point is that the goal of an inspection is to find and correct problems before they actually become problems and you set yourself up for failure when the goal is "lets get er done" rather than "it'll be done when I'm finished".

I know some will take offense at this post, and that's ok, it is what it is.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 03-28-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Not for Everyone - But Works for Me

I have a different condition inspection philosophy. I start through the checklist - but where feasible don't immediately "button up" - but will let it sit overnight and come back the next day and just have another look before closing up a particular section.

I try to allocate a week and try to break the tasks into small pieces.

Approaching seven years and in 5.3 hours will pass 1000.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM

If I'm not mistaken, in the latest Kitplanes, Paul Dye wrote that one can shorten the inspection time if one inspects things as you go along, before the annual begins.

I don't know how *much* before the annual one can inspect things and deem that thing inspected for the annual.

For example, if you do a service bulletin check 1 day before the annual I'd see where you could claim it was accomplished and check that off the annual checklist.

But what about 1 week? One month? 3 months?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM

I've got an 8 pages checklist that gets a bit longer every year.

I'll do one section at a time over the course of 2 or 3 weeks and sign it off when I've completed all the sections. I probably spend at least 8 to 10 days total.

I've been working on my inspection for a couple of weeks and I haven't even started removing the baggage wall, seat pans or tunnel cover.

My goal is to put a wrench on everything, lube all control points and replace any parts that are the least bit suspect in addition to doing all the required inspections.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX
Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 AM

As Scott said, this was not a 4-hour annual. It was about 20 man-hours, and was thorough, doing all engine checks, servicing the air filter, cleaning spark plugs, timing mags, cleaning gascolator, lubricating all moving parts, checking all service bulletins and so on. There was nothing major found, which is why it was finished so quickly. He was planning on staying the night for a 2-day inspection, but was finished the first day. There is nothing wrong with taking a week or two, but there is also nothing wrong with taking a day or two as long as a thorough inspection is done.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvalovich View Post
I have a different condition inspection philosophy. I start through the checklist - but where feasible don't immediately "button up" - but will let it sit overnight and come back the next day and just have another look before closing up a particular section.
I agree 100%, especially FWF !
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
If I'm not mistaken, in the latest Kitplanes, Paul Dye wrote that one can shorten the inspection time if one inspects things as you go along, before the annual begins.

I don't know how *much* before the annual one can inspect things and deem that thing inspected for the annual.

For example, if you do a service bulletin check 1 day before the annual I'd see where you could claim it was accomplished and check that off the annual checklist.

But what about 1 week? One month? 3 months?
Sure, an inspection can be done in stages, but in the end it will still have taken whatever the combined total time is even if the day you signed it off you only worked one day.

I see nothing wrong with this as long as while you are inspecting... you are truly inspecting, and not just hurrying through the motions so that you can get some panels screwed back on so you can attend a fly-in breakfast the next morning.

My recommendation to anyone doing this is to put together a checklist that is broken into sections and then use it each year so that you could show that at any point during the inspection it has not been more than 12 months since the last inspection.

Here in the Pacific NW we have periods of time when there is very little good flying weather so I personally like to just get it all done at once during that time. I know in other places it is good weather 98% of the time, so I can understand the desire to spread it out a bit.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")