- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM

Default Transition Training with Mike Seager

Just got back from 3 days of transition training with Mike Seager. I'm in Alabama, he's in Oregon, wasn't sure it would work but SouthWest had $330 flights so I booked it.

I highly recommend his transition training. We spent 6 hours flying and as you can imagine it was mostly pattern work.

At the very end he turned off the EFIS and had me rep the pattern without any avionics which was a lot of fun and some of my best approaches and landings.

We did a simulated engine outs, etc.

His field is a grass strip and my first takeoffs and landings off a paved runway. Most of our work was done at a nearby paved airport.

Mike is a wonderful person and a patient instructor, wish I had an excuse to go back for more. Loved the work and the visit!

Highly recommended, 5/5 stars.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!

Last edited by bkervaski : 02-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 PM

Cool

I had no tail wheel experience and had not flown anything in the 10 years that it took me to build my RV3.
My biggest hurdle was getting some insurance to cover me in an aircraft that there was no way to get experience in! (Single Seat)
Found one insurance co. that would let me fly it after 20 hours in a tail wheeled aircraft. But I had to get my bi-annual flight review first, I did that in an Archer. I failed the first bi-annual because I could not land the darn thing with any grace, even after 10 landings.
The second time I passed after another 10 landings. Then I rented the archer and practiced landings by myself until I could land very well, it took 50 more landings over several days to be as good as I wanted to be.
Then I took tail wheel training for 20 hours in a super cub.
Then I flew my RV3 for the first time and had no problems handling the aircraft even though the engine dropped dead at 5,000 feet and I had to glide in. I had a good idea of the glide speeds from other similar RV aircraft posted here on this site.
I think just having recent experience in an aircraft does wonders for your ability to handle any aircraft.
My biggest surprise was the short wings dig in like a plow at low speeds stalling the wings quickly. I was about one foot above the runway letting the speed die off and it just dropped on the runway. I thought, well at least I'm on the ground at the airport with my dead engine...
318 hours and counting
Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV3bpilot View Post
But I had to get my bi-annual flight review first, I did that in an Archer. I failed the first bi-annual because I could not land the darn thing with any grace, even after 10 landings.
I think you meant Biennial. Once every two years is enough! Don't give the FAA any ideas about making it required twice a year!
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 02-18-2018, 12:57 PM

I have read all the FAA stuff on the Flight Review, and was left with the opinion that it is not possible to pass or fail a review. Your review may contain some lousy comments, but you cannot fail one.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:19 PM

Default Mike Seager

Thanks for posting your experiences with Mike Seager, Bill.
Planning a similar trip soon. Just wondering where you stayed. Looks like Mike is
in the boonies a little. Were hotels and resturants any problem. And how many days did your training take. I understand weather can be a real problem out there in the Northwest.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:56 PM

Default St. Helens

I did my training back in 2012. I made non-standard lodging arrangements. Instead of staying in Vernonia, which is a very small and secluded town, I stayed in St. Helens which is about a 45 minute drive away over on the Columbia River. It is a bigger town with more lodging and dining options (there's a really good restaurant right downtown by the river Called the Klondike). It's not far from Scappoose where most of the pattern work is done. Also, the drive from St. Helens to Vernonia is really pretty.

I started in late October and got rained out the second day and had to go back in November to get the second day. Weather is definitely a factor, but if you have a little time flexibility it will work out.
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:01 PM

I stayed at The Carpenter's House B&B in Vernonia. Nice people, good rooms and you get a discount if you are flying with Mike.

There are a handful of restaurants in Vernonia .. The Black Iron Grill and Blue House Cafe are both fantastic.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!

Last edited by bkervaski : 02-18-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:09 PM

"...I have read all the FAA stuff on the Flight Review, and was left with the opinion that it is not possible to pass or fail a review. Your review may contain some lousy comments, but you cannot fail one...."

True, but you can get a picky or grumpy instructor who insists on repeating the entire PPL syllabus with perfect performance or he won't sign you off.. Be sure to talk to the instructor first and get an understanding of what he requires or you could spend a lot of money
RV-14A #140158 flying
Old 02-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
I stayed at The Carpenter's House B&B in Vernonia. Nice people, good rooms and you get a discount if you are flying with Mike.

There are a handful of restaurants in Vernonia .. The Black Iron Grill and Blue House Cafe are both fantastic.
Perfect. Nice to know everything’s available close by. Thanks Bill. Going to check that out.
I figured to stay out there at least a week and in between flying and the weather do a little sightseeing. Should be able to get a few good days of flying in. Worst case I can always drive a little further.
This is getting exciting.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Just got back from 3 days of transition training with Mike Seager.
Great meeting you while you were here Bill.

Congrats on nearing the end of your build.
First time builder completing a QB RV-14A in 11 months is a great accomplishment.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")