- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
You may request the FAA to withhold your Airmen Certificate address information from release.

It's easy to do. See this website for additional info:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...releasability/
Yes, but there's no similar option for an aircraft *owner*.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Yes, but there's no similar option for an aircraft *owner*.
Yes, that's why I highlighted Airmen Certificate in both the Title and Body of my post. As another poster said, "you can make some of the FAA records private".

But I agree, I think that Aircraft Owners should be able to keep their information private also.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 04-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Yes, that's why I highlighted Airmen Certificate in both the Title and Body of my post. As another poster said, "you can make some of the FAA records private".

But I agree, I think that Aircraft Owners should be able to keep their information private also.
I know...I wasn't arguing with you.

I guess it'll take something similar to the case where the murderer tracked down that actress' address from her auto license, which led to states making that info private, before the FAA will change.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 PM

This struck me as odd, not being able to give a BFR in your plane.
I recently sent for a copy of a LODA for someone I knew, and found NO REFERENCE whatever to a BFR requirement nor any prohibition against giving a BFR. Is this normal practice, or does it just strike each FSDO differently each day of the week?

[quote=TimO;1250391]I have a LODA (authorization from the FAA) to do transition training in the RV-14. Last year I went thru the process. I'm sure that there is at least a SMALL chance that some people would have different results than I did, but, in my case doing a Flight Review in the RV-14 not all all do-able.

As part of my authorization I cannot even give transition training unless the pilot ALREADY has a current "BFR".
Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 PM

[quote=DonFromTX;1259135]This struck me as odd, not being able to give a BFR in your plane.
I recently sent for a copy of a LODA for someone I knew, and found NO REFERENCE whatever to a BFR requirement nor any prohibition against giving a BFR. Is this normal practice, or does it just strike each FSDO differently each day of the week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
I have a LODA (authorization from the FAA) to do transition training in the RV-14. Last year I went thru the process. I'm sure that there is at least a SMALL chance that some people would have different results than I did, but, in my case doing a Flight Review in the RV-14 not all all do-able.

As part of my authorization I cannot even give transition training unless the pilot ALREADY has a current "BFR".
The FAA’s position is quite clear: an EAB airplane may not be used for compensation. They will issue a waiver (LODA) specifically for transition training only because it cannot realistically be done in anything other than an RV. Every LODA I’ve seen says ‘transition training only’. Now there is the question, “If during transition training we satisfactorly accomplish all the elements of a Flight Review, may I (as a cfi) endorse the pilot’s logbook as Flight Review given”? My LODA says “no”. This strikes me as unusually strict. But I guess if it was otherwise, people would cheat - e.g., ask for/offer transition training when all they really wanted was a Flight Review. Just to be clear, a LODA is needed for the EAB to be used for compensation. You may get and pay for a Flight Review in your EAB, the presumption being that you don’t rent the plane from yourself.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 PM

Interesting. To make a discussion, the words "for transition training only" certainly does not infer to me that you could not use your plane for pleasure or sightseeing or personal travel - or giving a flight review. The one I received however had the statement that the plane can make "No demonstration flights are allowed". I am not even sure what a "demonstration flight" consists of.

[quote=BobTurner;1259165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
This struck me as odd, not being able to give a BFR in your plane.

The FAA’s position is quite clear: an EAB airplane may not be used for compensation. They will issue a waiver (LODA) specifically for transition training only because it cannot realistically be done in anything other than an RV. Every LODA I’ve seen says ‘transition training only’. Now there is the question, “If during transition training we satisfactorly accomplish all the elements of a Flight Review, may I (as a cfi) endorse the pilot’s logbook as Flight Review given”? My LODA says “no”. This strikes me as unusually strict. But I guess if it was otherwise, people would cheat - e.g., ask for/offer transition training when all they really wanted was a Flight Review. Just to be clear, a LODA is needed for the EAB to be used for compensation. You may get and pay for a Flight Review in your EAB, the presumption being that you don’t rent the plane from yourself.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 PM

The waiver (LODA) is for using the airplane for compensation. You don’t need the waiver if no compensation is involved, like personal travel. No waiver is needed if you get a Flight Review for free. But a CFI cannot furnish his airplane “for free” and charge for his services - the airplane is clearly tied to him being compensated.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:38 AM

Thank you to everyone in advance. I am new here and just bought my first RV last week.

I am an active CFI with no LODA (yet...maybe)

Can I offer flight training with me, and my plane, if no money changes hands?

ie: a young person spending time with me to suppliment their private, a few approaches with a friend to get current, etc.

Or...does anyone know if, because a Comm is required to have a CFI, that ALL training is considered "commercial" regardless of money changing hands?

Thx,

Hoody

RV-6, IO-320, Catto
Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post
Thank you to everyone in advance. I am new here and just bought my first RV last week.

I am an active CFI with no LODA (yet...maybe)

Can I offer flight training with me, and my plane, if no money changes hands?

ie: a young person spending time with me to suppliment their private, a few approaches with a friend to get current, etc.

Or...does anyone know if, because a Comm is required to have a CFI, that ALL training is considered "commercial" regardless of money changing hands?

Thx,

Hoody
As long as you pay your pro rata share of the expenses, you are not flying for hire, so you can do it.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Question Airshow performer use of EAB aircraft

I've always wondered at the regs that will not allow the needed training in EAB but allow some airshow pilots to make a living using their EAB aircraft.
Anyone got any ideas?

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 49 years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR