VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 PM
DonFromTX's Avatar
DonFromTX DonFromTX is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Feria Texas
Posts: 3,785
Default

This struck me as odd, not being able to give a BFR in your plane.
I recently sent for a copy of a LODA for someone I knew, and found NO REFERENCE whatever to a BFR requirement nor any prohibition against giving a BFR. Is this normal practice, or does it just strike each FSDO differently each day of the week?

[quote=TimO;1250391]I have a LODA (authorization from the FAA) to do transition training in the RV-14. Last year I went thru the process. I'm sure that there is at least a SMALL chance that some people would have different results than I did, but, in my case doing a Flight Review in the RV-14 not all all do-able.

As part of my authorization I cannot even give transition training unless the pilot ALREADY has a current "BFR".
__________________
A&P, PP-SEL, Pathological Flier, EAA Technical Counselor
EAA Chapter 595 President,http://www.595.eaachapter.org/index.htm
Retired US Army Officer
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 5,564
Default

[quote=DonFromTX;1259135]This struck me as odd, not being able to give a BFR in your plane.
I recently sent for a copy of a LODA for someone I knew, and found NO REFERENCE whatever to a BFR requirement nor any prohibition against giving a BFR. Is this normal practice, or does it just strike each FSDO differently each day of the week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
I have a LODA (authorization from the FAA) to do transition training in the RV-14. Last year I went thru the process. I'm sure that there is at least a SMALL chance that some people would have different results than I did, but, in my case doing a Flight Review in the RV-14 not all all do-able.

As part of my authorization I cannot even give transition training unless the pilot ALREADY has a current "BFR".
The FAA’s position is quite clear: an EAB airplane may not be used for compensation. They will issue a waiver (LODA) specifically for transition training only because it cannot realistically be done in anything other than an RV. Every LODA I’ve seen says ‘transition training only’. Now there is the question, “If during transition training we satisfactorly accomplish all the elements of a Flight Review, may I (as a cfi) endorse the pilot’s logbook as Flight Review given”? My LODA says “no”. This strikes me as unusually strict. But I guess if it was otherwise, people would cheat - e.g., ask for/offer transition training when all they really wanted was a Flight Review. Just to be clear, a LODA is needed for the EAB to be used for compensation. You may get and pay for a Flight Review in your EAB, the presumption being that you don’t rent the plane from yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 PM
DonFromTX's Avatar
DonFromTX DonFromTX is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Feria Texas
Posts: 3,785
Default

Interesting. To make a discussion, the words "for transition training only" certainly does not infer to me that you could not use your plane for pleasure or sightseeing or personal travel - or giving a flight review. The one I received however had the statement that the plane can make "No demonstration flights are allowed". I am not even sure what a "demonstration flight" consists of.

[quote=BobTurner;1259165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
This struck me as odd, not being able to give a BFR in your plane.
I recently sent for a copy of a LODA for someone I knew, and found NO REFERENCE whatever to a BFR requirement nor any prohibition against giving a BFR. Is this normal practice, or does it just strike each FSDO differently each day of the week?


The FAA’s position is quite clear: an EAB airplane may not be used for compensation. They will issue a waiver (LODA) specifically for transition training only because it cannot realistically be done in anything other than an RV. Every LODA I’ve seen says ‘transition training only’. Now there is the question, “If during transition training we satisfactorly accomplish all the elements of a Flight Review, may I (as a cfi) endorse the pilot’s logbook as Flight Review given”? My LODA says “no”. This strikes me as unusually strict. But I guess if it was otherwise, people would cheat - e.g., ask for/offer transition training when all they really wanted was a Flight Review. Just to be clear, a LODA is needed for the EAB to be used for compensation. You may get and pay for a Flight Review in your EAB, the presumption being that you don’t rent the plane from yourself.
__________________
A&P, PP-SEL, Pathological Flier, EAA Technical Counselor
EAA Chapter 595 President,http://www.595.eaachapter.org/index.htm
Retired US Army Officer
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 5,564
Default

The waiver (LODA) is for using the airplane for compensation. You don’t need the waiver if no compensation is involved, like personal travel. No waiver is needed if you get a Flight Review for free. But a CFI cannot furnish his airplane “for free” and charge for his services - the airplane is clearly tied to him being compensated.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-11-2018, 06:38 AM
flyinhood flyinhood is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: 52F
Posts: 77
Default

Thank you to everyone in advance. I am new here and just bought my first RV last week.

I am an active CFI with no LODA (yet...maybe)

Can I offer flight training with me, and my plane, if no money changes hands?

ie: a young person spending time with me to suppliment their private, a few approaches with a friend to get current, etc.

Or...does anyone know if, because a Comm is required to have a CFI, that ALL training is considered "commercial" regardless of money changing hands?

Thx,

Hoody
__________________
46 Luscombe 8a Rag Wing, Armstrong starter

RV-6, IO-320, Catto
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Jesse's Avatar
Jesse Jesse is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: X35 - Ocala, FL
Posts: 3,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post
Thank you to everyone in advance. I am new here and just bought my first RV last week.

I am an active CFI with no LODA (yet...maybe)

Can I offer flight training with me, and my plane, if no money changes hands?

ie: a young person spending time with me to suppliment their private, a few approaches with a friend to get current, etc.

Or...does anyone know if, because a Comm is required to have a CFI, that ALL training is considered "commercial" regardless of money changing hands?

Thx,

Hoody
As long as you pay your pro rata share of the expenses, you are not flying for hire, so you can do it.
__________________
Jesse Saint (Saint Aviation, Inc. - VAF Advertiser)
352-427-0285
jesse@saintaviation.com
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-11-2018, 07:15 AM
Vern's Avatar
Vern Vern is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peachtree City, Ga
Posts: 971
Question Airshow performer use of EAB aircraft

I've always wondered at the regs that will not allow the needed training in EAB but allow some airshow pilots to make a living using their EAB aircraft.
Anyone got any ideas?
__________________
Vern Darley
Awarded FAA "The Wright Brothers 'Master Pilot' Award"- for 50 years safe flying

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 49 years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
The FAA’s position is quite clear: an EAB airplane may not be used for compensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
I've always wondered at the regs that will not allow the needed training in EAB but allow some airshow pilots to make a living using their EAB aircraft.
Anyone got any ideas?
I get the primary training vs transition training and LODA stuff. However, I'm not sold on the total no compensation bit outside of the training issues.

Can someone point me to where it says you can't be compensated for performing other, non-training tasks with an E-AB aircraft?
I get 91.319 states:
(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate—
(1) For other than the purpose for which the certificate was issued; or
(2) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

And my OPLIMS, issued under the older FAA order 8130.2G (current version is 2J IIRC) has the same verbiage as 91.319 (a) (2). I'm also prohibited by my OPLIMS from glider towing, banner towing, or intentional parachute jumping.

But what about skywriting or aerial photography? Why couldn't a pilot flying their own E-AB be compensated (ie paid) for those activities? There's no carriage of persons or property.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 05-11-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 AM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 8,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
I get the primary training vs transition training and LODA stuff. However, I'm not sold on the total no compensation bit outside of the training issues.

Can someone point me to where it says you can't be compensated for performing other, non-training tasks with an E-AB aircraft?
I get 91.319 states:
(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate—
(1) For other than the purpose for which the certificate was issued; or
(2) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

And my OPLIMS, issued under the older FAA order 8130.2G (current version is 2J IIRC) has the same verbiage as 91.319 (a) (2). I'm also prohibited by my OPLIMS from glider towing, banner towing, or intentional parachute jumping.

But what about skywriting or aerial photography? Why couldn't a pilot flying their own E-AB be compensated (ie paid) for those activities? There's no carriage of persons or property.
When reading a document in the context of "legal" meaning, single specific words can mean a lot (even if the person reading it doesn't understand the relevance).

In that context, ask your self why does it say compensation and hire? Wouldn't just one suffice?

Apparently not.

So now you need to find out what the FAA means by those two terms.

Unfortunately, in this case, the writer (FAA legal dept) gets to define the terms, not the person reading them. The FAA has been very clear in the past regarding what their definition is.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
When reading a document in the context of "legal" meaning, single specific words can mean a lot (even if the person reading it doesn't understand the relevance).

In that context, ask your self why does it say compensation and hire? Wouldn't just one suffice?

Apparently not.

So now you need to find out what the FAA means by those two terms.

Unfortunately, in this case, the writer (FAA legal dept) gets to define the terms, not the person reading them. The FAA has been very clear in the past regarding what their definition is.
Umm, because they don't mean the same thing? In any event, the way the paragraph is worded to me implies that the compensation and hire prohibition applies to the carriage, and only the carriage, of persons or property. Otherwise if you wanted to prohibit all activities for compensation or hire why not just leave "persons" and "property" out altogether? But they didn't so they made the prohibited activities specific and not general.

I also have no plan to ask the FAA anything. I simply want to know is there a reference that applies the compensation prohibition beyond what's stated in 91.319 such as a reg or FAA General Counsel ruling and not for anyone to try an provide an interpretation of 91.319, legal or not.

NOTE: This if for my edification only -- I have absolutely no desire or need to fly for compensation in any aircraft, regardless of its certification.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 05-11-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.