VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-18-2018, 04:53 PM
alexe alexe is online now
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 252
Default

ExErcoupeGuy,

Yes, the inspection itself is fairly easy to do. Once the stabilator is off the airplane, remove the the hinge brackets located on the front side of the stabilator spar. The service bulletin has good pictures of what to look for in that area, however, you will probably have to remove paint in the area with some fine sandpaper before you can really make a thorough inspection. Hope you donít find any cracks so you can get your plane back home in a timely manner.

It take it that your airplane is a S-LSA, not an E-LSA?

Alex
__________________
Alex Erdelyi
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 PM
alexe alexe is online now
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 252
Default

ExErcoupeGuy,
I just sent you a PM.
Alex
__________________
Alex Erdelyi
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 AM
ExErcoupeGuy ExErcoupeGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
ExErcoupeGuy,

Yes, the inspection itself is fairly easy to do. Once the stabilator is off the airplane, remove the the hinge brackets located on the front side of the stabilator spar. The service bulletin has good pictures of what to look for in that area, however, you will probably have to remove paint in the area with some fine sandpaper before you can really make a thorough inspection. Hope you donít find any cracks so you can get your plane back home in a timely manner.

It take it that your airplane is a S-LSA, not an E-LSA?

Alex
N32SB is E-LSA. Has about 200 hours on it. Always hangared. Built in 2013 but didnít fly much until my seller, a great Ret. AF General, bought it from the builder. The Gen. is beyond meticulous with his aircraft; e.g., all SBís applicable were complied with by installation of Van kits obviating further inspection. This is exactly what I will do ó but since Iím in the field in Marco Island FL away from my Ohio shop (Rotax Certified and experienced in LSA, esp. RV 12ís Shamrock Aviation Services, Shane Young, in Delaware, OH) ó I will defer kit installs if inspection passes. I am very careful to cage the yoke and install rudder gust locks when itís on a ramp and not hangared back home. Thank you so much for your advice and help.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM
joedallas's Avatar
joedallas joedallas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Spring Hill Fl
Posts: 717
Default Before further flight ??

Before further flight ??

If you have less than 100 hours why would you need to check before further flight if it is OK to fly it for 100 hours after you check it ?

Unless Vans thinks that the crack may be associated with the bending process of the HS-1202 Spars ?

I think this is possible ?

If there is no cracks I wonder if the patch on top of the skin is necessary?
This will look like a Patch in my View.
Joe Dallas
__________________
Joe Dallas
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-19-2018, 12:12 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedallas View Post
Before further flight ??

If you have less than 100 hours why would you need to check before further flight if it is OK to fly it for 100 hours after you check it ?

Unless Vans thinks that the crack may be associated with the bending process of the HS-1202 Spars ?

I think this is possible ?

If there is no cracks I wonder if the patch on top of the skin is necessary?
This will look like a Patch in my View.
Joe Dallas
There are a lot of different things that could induce the repetitive loads that could cause cracking (a toddler sitting for hours banging the stick against the stops , etc.) Since Van's has no way of knowing how the airplane has been treated regardless of the # of hours, it is specified that all be checked.
The premise is that if no cracking was induced during the first 100 hours, then it is likely that nothing serious would happen after another 100 hrs.

The patch on the top of the AST skin has nothing to do with the S.B. for the stabilator spar. They just happened to be published at about the same time.

I am pretty sure the AST S.B. is clear in saying that the skin doubler is only required if pre-existing cracks are found at inspection. Otherwise just the change in ribs is required.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 PM
alexe alexe is online now
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 252
Default

Scott,

Regarding the stabilator SB, does the HS-01231C gusset (figure 4) fit beneath the skin or on top?

Thanks,
Alex
__________________
Alex Erdelyi
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-19-2018, 02:49 PM
DonFromTX's Avatar
DonFromTX DonFromTX is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Feria Texas
Posts: 3,771
Default

I too am having some difficulty visualizing all this from the drawings.
Photos from the first people will be valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Scott,

Regarding the stabilator SB, does the HS-01231C gusset (figure 4) fit beneath the skin or on top?

Thanks,
Alex
__________________
A&P, PP-SEL, Pathological Flier, EAA Technical Counselor
EAA Chapter 595 President,http://www.595.eaachapter.org/index.htm
Retired US Army Officer
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-19-2018, 03:00 PM
joedallas's Avatar
joedallas joedallas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Spring Hill Fl
Posts: 717
Default

Scott

Figure shows the patch on the top adding as shear connection to the hinge bracket , in my view

Joe Dallas






Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Scott,

Regarding the stabilator SB, does the HS-01231C gusset (figure 4) fit beneath the skin or on top?

Thanks,
Alex
__________________
Joe Dallas
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 10,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Scott,
Regarding the stabilator SB, does the HS-01231C gusset (figure 4) fit beneath the skin or on top?
Thanks,
Alex
My interpretation is that both figure 4 and figure 8 clearly show the gusset to be on top of the skin. Also Step 27 states that no spacer is needed under the 2 inboard, aft rivets. If the gusset were to be under the skin, that statement would not be necessary.
__________________
Mel Asberry..DAR since last century
A&P/EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor/Nat'l Test Pilot School
Specializing in Amateur-Built and Light-Sport Aircraft
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-19-2018, 03:32 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
My interpretation is that both figure 4 and figure 8 clearly show the gusset to be on top of the skin. Also Step 27 states that no spacer is needed under the 2 inboard, aft rivets. If the gusset were to be under the skin, that statement would not be necessary.
Mel is correct.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.