What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna coax cable routing

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I'm going to be putting my Cormant CI 122 comm antennas under the rear seats (2nd from most outboard bay on both sides). I'm going to be using RG400 coax and was wondering how much separation I need, if any, from standard wiring. I want to run conduits fore and aft straight from the rear baggage bulkhead to under the front of the rear seat footwell under the torque tubes as Mike Starkey has described so it seems inevitable that the antenna coax will have to be in some proximity to the power wires.

Is routing the coax up the tunnel a good option?

I'm going to be putting my Cormant CI 122 comm antennas under the rear seats (2nd from most outboard bay on both sides). I'm going to be using RG400 coax and was wondering how much separation I need, if any, from standard wiring. I want to run conduits fore and aft straight from the rear baggage bulkhead to under the front of the rear seat footwell under the torque tubes as Mike Starkey has described so it seems inevitable that the antenna coax will have to be in some proximity to the power wires.

Is routing the coax up the tunnel a good option?

Yes - as is mounting both comm antennas under the tunnel area (one forward and biased to the left side and one aft and biased to the right side to maximize clearance on the elevator push tube). Unless you provide for access under the rear seats mounting antennas there becomes a maintenance issue.

Carl

My antenna are also under the rear seats. You will want to put an access door in the seat pan. It?s not a question of when you?ll need it, but when.

You can make your own, or simple use the same parts that avans supplies for the access panels on the wings.

If I put a bit of a service loop in the coaxial cable and nuplates on the doubler is there any reason why I could not just service the antenna by dropping it down if required?

That?s what I do. I?ve had to replace my antenna and no issues
+1 me too. In fact during the build I removed it, after making sure I could reinstall it, so I would be less likely to poke my eye out on it!
I ran the coax out to the side, then forward, under the door sill.

Ignoring the mounting location issue, the general answer for coax routing is: If you make up the ends properly & don't 'kink' it, there's no issue with running coax in the same space as other power & signal wires. Properly terminated coax contains the RF within the shield. (That's what it's for.)

Ignoring the mounting location issue, the general answer for coax routing is: If you make up the ends properly & don't 'kink' it, there's no issue with running coax in the same space as other power & signal wires. Properly terminated coax contains the RF within the shield. (That's what it's for.)

That is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Back