What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help GTN 650/Dynon D10 HSI

mgasper

I have upgraded to a Garmin GTN650 from a 430w. Can anyone help me with the proper settings for the GTN650 or any other trouble shooting ideas. Currently all of the nav functions VOR/ILS appear to be working on the HSI display but I do not get any GPS data to the HSI? GTN 650/ HS34/ D10a and D10 EMS installed. I was previously able to get GPS date when the 430W was installed. All of the speed settings are set to low since I have a trutrak Gemini autopilot. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

I have upgraded to a Garmin GTN650 from a 430w. Can anyone help me with the proper settings for the GTN650 or any other trouble shooting ideas. Currently all of the nav functions VOR/ILS appear to be working on the HSI display but I do not get any GPS data to the HSI? GTN 650/ HS34/ D10a and D10 EMS installed. I was previously able to get GPS date when the 430W was installed. All of the speed settings are set to low since I have a trutrak Gemini autopilot. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Where in Ohio are you located? I'm in central Ohio.

It's going to be hard to provide assistance with no knowledge of the schematic of how you've wired each of the devices.

GPS lat/long is provided via RS-232 from the 650 and the output should probably be aviation output 1, but that will depend on what the d10 can accept. I don't have any experience with the D10. I suspect you have either an open circuit or a mis-wired connection, but that's purely speculation on my part.

Do you have an arinc module installed?

I have the same 650/HS34/D10A setup and I struggled with getting the HSI to work on VOR, but I digress... The setup menus on the 650 are about a mile deep, so Id recommend you get a Skyview manual. Apparently the Dynon folks figured time stopped WRT the D10 when the SV came out, so there is no mention of "modern" com/nav boxes in the legacy manuals.

I'll bet you just have to enable an output in the setup and you will be golden.

Basics first.

May be a dumb question, but is the CDI button on the 650 pushed. If it doesn't say GPS, it won't work.

Located at KTSO.
The GTN650 is wired to the Dynon HS34 via the ARINC 429 pins. I also have a analog garmin 106CDI that works correctly for both NAV and GPS data from the GTN650. The CDI button on the GPS only affects the 106CDI. The Dynon D10 HSI is selectable only through the HS34 NAV button. The HSI changes from Nav to GPS but appears to be searching for the GPS. I will review the skyview manual.

In the 650 settings I believe the ARINC output #1 should be set as GAMA 429 and speed as low. The HS34 should be set as GAMA GPS for either input 1 or input 2, whichever the GPS is connected to.

Source button?

Make sure the CDI is on GPS and click through the inputs with the source button on the HSI control if you have not...

Located at KTSO.
The GTN650 is wired to the Dynon HS34 via the ARINC 429 pins. I also have a analog garmin 106CDI that works correctly for both NAV and GPS data from the GTN650. The CDI button on the GPS only affects the 106CDI. The Dynon D10 HSI is selectable only through the HS34 NAV button. The HSI changes from Nav to GPS but appears to be searching for the GPS. I will review the skyview manual.

As mentioned earlier, you need to have BOTH the ARINC lines and an RS-232 line wired to it. GPS data comes in on the RS-232.

Vic

Located at KTSO.

On the 650, in the diagnostic mode, there is a arinc parser that will show you each of the arinc labels and what data is in each one. I don't recall all the label names, but most of the, should have a combination of 0s and 1s. One of the labels is for the glideslope and won't have any 1s on the ground. Another is for heading mode and won't have any data in it unless you EFIS is in that mode.

The arinc interface is primarily the flight plan data coming from the 650.

The rs232 interface is primarily lat/long position data.

I would give Dynon a call. They can tell you the specific settings for your EFIS and the 650.

If you've ruled out any wiring issues, then it's probably a setting issue. Did you wore the panel or did somebody else?

If I wasn't in the middle of a panel upgrade and my conditional, I would fly over. It doesn't take much of an excuse to go get some pie.

If you look at the Skyview installation instructions for the ARINC module and compare them to the HS34 you will see they are almost identical. If you follow the SV settings instructions for the 650 you should be in good shape.

update

The GTN 650 was installed by a avionics shop initially, however after trouble shooting the issues myself I discovered the four arinc gps wires were crossed. So I corrected the wiring and now the gps functions and displays normally on the Dynon. Thanks for all the replies for help.

Back