What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I know my new ELT works and I haven't even received it yet.

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I ordered my Kannad Integra ELT from Aircraft Spruce Canada this past Saturday. I supplied the Hex code I was given when I reserved my registration marks. I also gave my cell number to ACS in the remarks section of the online order form.

Today I received a call from Trenton Search and Rescue Centre saying that they have a distress signal from C-FUIP that was registered to me and that the signal was coming from San Bernardino California.

I explained the situation and that UIP hasen't had its final inspection yet and is safe and sound in a hanger at CYAM.

I called ACS and explained to them that we had a problem, pretty soon Cliff from ACS's avionics shop in California called to touch base with me. He said the US Airforce had already called them and they were scrambling to try and find my ELT. He was hoping that it had not left on the truck yet. :)

He said he would call me back when he knew more.

He assured me that they would replace the battery if ends up transmitting it's way across the continent.

So I now know that both the system and my new ELT works just fine. :)

That was my chuckle for the day.

Terry

I'm sorry to hear this has happened.

You need to know that the battery has a built-in time logger to count it's "on" time. You absolutely should NOT accept the ELT unless the battery has been replaced, irrespective of whether the unit passes self test. I say this because each time you test the ELT, you consume battery power, and that test time is recorded. You could well end up with a battery test failure well before the 6 year life of the battery, simply because the unit was left on for a few minutes at ACS.

I doubt ACS would try to pull the wool over your eyes. However there is power in knowledge, and, in this case, that knowledge puts you in a position to insist on a new battery, irrespective of the amount of run time on the current battery. You are buying a new ELT - you should get a new battery.

The integral 406 antenna in the Kannad Integra model very obviously works. It sounds like you will be able to move ahead with this ELT with good confidence that it will work well for you in your aircraft.

ELT

I'd be more worried about the ELT transmitting with no antenna connected, every ELT I've installed warns about this. I can't imagine the antenna being connected while it's being shipped.

They owe you a new battery and service, right?

Spendy.

Assuming it had an antenna hooked up.

If not, best to get a new one and make sure the serial number swap at SAR registration is not crossed up.

I'd be more worried about the ELT transmitting with no antenna connected, every ELT I've installed warns about this. I can't imagine the antenna being connected while it's being shipped.

That is a great point. Maybe we shouldn't be so worried about how our antennas are mounted:rolleyes:

Gents - this Kannad Integra ELT is one of a very, very few models which can safely be activated without an external antenna being connected.

Why?

Because it has an INTEGRAL flat patch 406MHz antenna! An internal circuit senses when the external antenna is not present (read crash forces have swept it off the airframe, or broken the coax, or...). When it senses high VSWR, it automatically switches to its internal patch antenna. This is why, in this particular instance, the 406MHz signal was picked up so easily and processed by the SAR responders.

Again, the Kannad INTEGRA model (named for its INTEGRAL antenna) is one of only a very, very small number of ELT's which can be switched on without a high risk of frying the power amp in the RF output stage. For all others, ALWAYS connect the antenna before you touch any other control on the ELT or hook up any other wires.

Gents - this Kannad Integra ELT is one of a very, very few models which can safely be activated without an external antenna being connected.

Why?

Because it has an INTEGRAL flat patch 406MHz antenna! An internal circuit senses when the external antenna is not present (read crash forces have swept it off the airframe, or broken the coax, or...). When it senses high VSWR, it automatically switches to its internal patch antenna. This is why, in this particular instance, the 406MHz signal was picked up so easily and processed by the SAR responders.

Again, the Kannad INTEGRA model (named for its INTEGRAL antenna) is one of only a very, very small number of ELT's which can be switched on without a high risk of frying the power amp in the RF output stage. For all others, ALWAYS connect the antenna before you touch any other control on the ELT or hook up any other wires.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Never new something like this existed.

Update, I received an email from ACS Avionics Sales Manager assuring me that when my ELT arrives at ACS Canada they will be inspecting and installing a new battery before it is shipped to me.

Sounds like it was on the delivery truck when it was activated.

Terry

I'm not familiar with that brand of ELT, but the ACK units have an "OFF" switch with a plastic cap to prevent the switch from moving.

Why?

I wonder if that danger is still real, or the instruction is a holdover from the bad old days. There's no good reason with today's tech to design an output stage that's vulnerable to a missing (or even a shorted) load. Especially in something like an ELT, that could easily have its coax severed or shorted in a crash, but the pilot/passenger survive, & would otherwise be able to get it back online using another antenna or one fabricated from available materials.

Charlie

Charlie - sorry to be so definite on this, but this isn't a holdover from days of old. Yes, we can design in all kinds of protections etc. They all add cost, weight, power drain and complexity and they all lower reliability.

The real challenge is that we're talking about a 5watt burst on the 406 frequency - that's sufficient juice to fry things.

Some current ELTs will survive an open circuit for a period - I can't say with any certainty know how long each model might last. I know with certainty, based on field failures confirmed by bench tests, the Kannad Compact 406AF (not the Integra) is susceptible in this respect. The Integra is not, thanks to its integral antenna. Still, the field reliability of the Kannad products has been excellent when compared to other brands - this is why I still recommend the Kannad so highly when fellow aircraft builders come looking for advice. The three Kannad units under my direct care and control have been flawless.

Back