What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bluetooth performance for remote G3x boxes?

resrob66

Hi all,
Building an 8, contemplating mounting my remote GTX45R and GMA 245R behind the rear baggage area. It will essentially be locked in an aluminum container (the fuselage) isolated from the cockpit.

Will this degrade or eliminate Bluetooth reception for these boxes? Specifically Bluetooth music and possibly traffic info to a tablet in the back seat?

If so I could mount the remote audio panel behind the instrument panel to get a better Bluetooth signal.

Rest of system will be G3x gdu 465 setup.

Overwhelmed with the potential drawbacks....

Thanks.
Robert

I have mounted a GTX 45R to the sidewall of 2 RV7 's behind the rear baggage panel and have had no trouble bluetoothing from back there, even with the antenna pointed the wrong way!
Also, my GDL 39 is mounted way aft in my RV8 and I have no trouble with it bluetoothing from back there.

My experience is a little different

I installed my GDL 39 aft of the baggage bulkhead on my RV-6a. It is bolted down next to the pitch bellcrank. I get very poor bluetooth reception. The BT is basically unusable for me in that location. YMMV.

I have my GDL 39R mounted in the aft fuselage right next to the elevator bellcrank in my RV-6. BT reception in the cockpit area is excellent.

I also built and -8 and used the same location for the GDL 39R with no problems.

I don't think you'll have any issues.

Maybe I need to try again.

I tried a couple different times to use the bluetooth. Maybe it was the device I was trying to connect to the GDL 39. I will have to play with this some more. I was kinda dissappointed I couldn't get any reception.

Wiring

If you choose to Bluetooth from the gtx-45R, is it possible to avoid running any of the rs-232 connections? My wire bundles going from the aft of the airplane are reaching maximum size to fit through the pre-drilled spar holes and I would like to avoid drilling more.

My planned panel is gdu-460, gtn-625, gtr-200, Gad-29, gea-24, Gus-25.

I count the following rs-232 connections:

To Gsu -25, GDU-460, GTN-625.

I'm not sure if audio from the gtx passes through the GDU-460 to the gtr200 or if it requires another set of wires also.

The gtx-45r is the only box planned to be mounted aft of the baggage in my rv-8.

Thanks for any pointers.

Back