What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Recommendations

xAV8Driver

I'm New Here
Have an RV-6 (not an A) that needs new tires. I am not the builder. Recommendations?

Thanks for this great site?.long time voyeur?now owner!

Dennis

If you have the "Pressure Recovery" wheel pants, I would get the Wilkerson retreads. Been using them for about 10-years. The Dresser Monster retreads are reported to be as good but I have no experience with them yet.

Van's instructions for installation of the "Pressure Recovery Wheel Pants" has 1.5" clearance above the tires. The other wheel pants over the years could have minimal clearance and the retreads could rub.

Just installed monster retreads on my -8. Had to open the front and rear of the pant opening a bit for clearance. Lifted the pants off the ground by a half inch. I wanted the extra height...tired of fixing pants.

Van's instructions for installation of the "Pressure Recovery Wheel Pants" has 1.5" clearance above the tires. The other wheel pants over the years could have minimal clearance and the retreads could rub.

I'd start by measuring the clearances - top, sides, front, and back - between the interior of your wheel pants and your existing tires (tyres). Also check for any penetrating screws. While Vans may recommend 1.5", builds vary considerably.

Retreads will be slightly larger than new original equipment.

On the off chance you have plenty of clearance top, front, & back, and you operate frequently on less than ideal surfaces, you could investigate the 380x150x5.0 tires which are a bit larger than the 500x5.0

I'm very happy with my Desser Elite retreads. Very little wear after many landings and no need to enlarge wheel pants.

I'm a fan of the Goodyear Flight Special II, excellent quality and the cost is reasonable.

I have always recommended Desser retreads but the last two sets were way out of balance so something has changed. I will go with Gary and give the Wilkersons a try next time, have heard nice things about them. Larry

Thanks, VLAD

I recognize the tire on the left, I have one of those on my plane now. Is the other a Goodyear?

A more general question. When are my tires worn to the limit?

Thanks, VLAD

I recognize the tire on the left, I have one of those on my plane now. Is the other a Goodyear?

It's a Michelin I wore them a year and couldn't expose even first cord. On my third set now also the Michelins. There is a requirement for tire wear in certified world it's a great reference. Forgot where I saw it.

FAR 43-13-1B, 9-14. TIRE INSPECTION AND REPAIR

a.
Tread Wear. Inspect the tires visually for remaining tread. Tires should be removed when tread has worn to the base of any groove at any spot, or to a minimum depth as specified by the tire or aircraft manufacturer. Tires worn to fabric in the tread area should be removed regardless of the amount of tread remaining.

There are other things, like cuts, that could also require a replacement.

I was chasing down main gear shimmy issues and finally resorted to changing the tires from the ones that came with my kit to goodyear flight custom IIIs. The vans tires are much lighter which is why I think Van supplies them. They also have MUCH less stiffness in the sidewall. When I switched to the goodyears the plane felt a lot more stable and smooth on the ground but more importantly I have never had a recurrence of the shimmy.

I'm very happy with my Desser Elite retreads. Very little wear after many landings and no need to enlarge wheel pants.

Great tires.
Noticible heavier than standard tires, but very durable.
You may have to enlarge the wheel pants as they are a bit wider than standard tires, but well worth it.

Back