What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit ordering questions

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I've utterly and completely failed in my quest for a used RV7 kit, so unless something pops up in the next few weeks I'm planning to just pull the trigger and order from Vans. With that in mind, I have a few questions for those who have gone before.

1. How likely is it that kit pricing will go up after the first of the year?

2. What's heavier, manual or electric aileron trim?

3. Can I order locking fuel caps with a quick build wing?

4. Which is heavier, Tip-up or Slider?

5. Not crazy about the OEM brake solution, but don't know how soon I have to decide on parts. Are the OEM master cylinders in the Fuselage kit or finishing kit?

Now the 100% opinion question; For the rv7, is it easier to get into and out of a slider or a tip-up? 7A drivers need not respond. Sorry guys, but I'm a beat up 52 year old, and I'm not getting any younger. Looking for opinions specific to hoisting yourself uphill in and out of the taildragger with either style of canopy.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Terr

1. It usually seems to happen around April, if I remember right.

3. I bet you can, but Van's would be the authority.

(2 and 4, don't know. Usually pilot preference determines that rather than weight.)

Dave
RV-3B, working on the canoe

Trim

FWIW - my biased opinions from 1100 hrs. and 7+ years of my -8A flying:

Get electric trim. Also get an autopilot.

FWIW - my biased opinions from 1100 hrs. and 7+ years of my -8A flying:

Get electric trim. Also get an autopilot.

I'll definitely go with electric elevator trim, but I've flown both manual and electric aileron trim on certificated airplanes and don't really have a preference. I've never flown anything that required you to adjust it more than a couple of times during a flight, even on a twin with complicated fuel management. Is the RV different? Or is the manual trim just not a very good system?

I'll likely go with a full garmin panel including autopilot, But as I understand it, the servo trays are pretty much universal so that's not an immediate decision. Have I got that right?

Back