What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal cure times

6ato14a

Well Known Member
Need some comments or recommendations on proseal. I have a leak on the root rib of the fuel tank. Last time I used the 30 minute cure (other tank same place) and it seems to have worked but am wondering if there are pros and cons to the 30 minute vs two hour cure times. Looks like it takes several days for two hour to fully cure but does it seal better? How long before you can test with 100ll?

The 30 min & 2 hr times is how long you have before it sets up & becomes too stiff to work it.
I don't know how long you should allow it to cure before exposing it to fuel, my practice is to let it sit for 4 days before filling & testing it. I may be over waiting the cure time, better safe than sorry, but have not found listings anywhere actually stating full cure times.

Cure

Cure times vary. Freshness, mix rate, ambient temperature, etc.
Keep a sample of each batch as a control. Label it with date and location of use so you can check it without disturbing the parts.

I blew out my rv6 left tank baffle by not waiting long enough, two days. Recently had to do some repair to same tank and waited a week to be sure, leak test showed good. Better to be safe and wait.

I posted this before. Take it for what is worth to you. The manufacturer rep said this. When you can touch it with your finger and not leave a finger print you are good to go.

Temperature sensitive. Must be above 60F to cure. I witnessed a DC-9 with a large skin replacement blow out its sealant because the low bidding fbo was too cheap to heat hangar in winter. Delta was not pleased, the entire skin section has to be removed and resealed. Approx a 4 foot by 8 foot skin.
Big repairs usually us B72 because a long working time is necessary.

I have found this to be true:

"The cure rate of Proseal increases by a factor of 2 for every 10?F above 70?F and is retarded by the same factor for every 10?F degrees below 70? This means a cure time of 12 hours at 70?F will occur in only 6 hours at 80?F and only 3 hours at 90?F. The same process on the cold end of the scale means Proseal will take about 24 hours to cure at 60?F and 48 hours or longer at 50?F."
Mixture and humidity are also factors.
I recently did a tank repair with temps in the 60s. We put a reflector light on it for a few days, since the temps were dipping into the 40s, to keep it warm but it cured just fine and didn't leak after a week.

My experience - -

I have had to re-do my RV-12 tank several times as an early builder. ( removing the plastic window, mounting mods, vent tube, etc ). I have found that if I use the 2 hour set sealant from Vans, and store the repair in a 70 degree or higher temp room overnight, I can test it the next day using the balloon ( low pressure ) method. If I have done a good job, it works fine. If I missed a spot, I find it out much quicker. After I know it does not leak, I let it set 2 - 3 more days before putting fuel in it. That is my experience. As stated above, if left in a cool area, it might not be set well enough for a balloon test even. I agree touching it will let you know how it has set. I feel the 3 1/2 oz tubes from Vans work very well for the job. It insures a good blend ratio.

There is a difference between being cured to the point it will not be affected by fuel and "fully cured" where by it will be at full mechanical strength.

Back