What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-7 hz stabilizer build. First time builder

Blake

Well Known Member
I?m just starting on the horizontal stabilizer and I am working on the hs-702 spar and trying to comply with the service bulletin at the same time. I think I messed up with the reinforcement plates. And need to know if I need to order new parts or I can still continue on? I matched drilled hs-00001-L to the hs-702 spar instead of being in between the hs-702 holes. My number is3609428565 if someone that has complied with this can call me and help. Thanks again blake

Empennage

I've done the SB but without plans, I may not be of much help. There's a few photos at the very bottom of my blog, Empennage page.

SB

I did the SB during my -8 hs build. I first drilled the spars and 810, 814 angles as if the SB wasn't in the picture yet. Then I laid the SB parts on and marked the holes before drilling anything to verify edge distances. I feel that your way would not have had the bend line up with the bends in the spar, and I feel that drilling like you did may oval the holes in the spar and angles. Are they final size or are they oval now? You may need a bunch of new parts. .

I must have clecod the doubler to the spar and the 714/710 spar bars several dozen times during that part of the build. Once you get the 702 relief notches cut and the 6 degree bends in the spar and the spar bars, cleco the doubler onto the assembly and the bend lines should line up no problem if you put them in the right spots. I beleive the instructions have you match drill all of the holes inboard of the bend first. The match drilling of holes outboard of the bend happens later when you get the skin on and are match drilling the inboard ribs (HS-00005/00006).

Keep in mind, if your supposed to match drill 3 parts together, but forget one part, you can always add it back in and redrill.

Back