What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Fiberglass Panel.

Byron, where did you get the fiberglass panel?

Brad,

It was built by Accuracy Avionics, however they are no longer in business. Eric McDonald finished up the panel for me and is now working for Redmond Air in Redmond, OR. He may still have or know of the resource to have one custom built.

Mike Starkey was nice enough to give you a direct link on his post to where you can get it and as always Mike figured out the exact model number and he even knew where I purchased it? Hmmmm, Mike have you been going through my building receipts? LOL :)

Nope, just got lucky.

I had to replace the radio in my truck recently, remembered seeing the Sony unit when I was looking.

"Home Sweet Home"

Thanks Byron... Which airport are your going to call home?

Brad,

I live in Discovery Bay and have a hanger in Byron, which is 5 minutes from my home. Phase I test flying will be done out of Rancho Murieta by Randy Thorne, who has helped me immensely with his expertise! I come over the hill to Livermore for most of the EAA 663 meetings. I hope to have it ready for first flight soon and I have paint scheduled at T&P in April. I am looking forward to being able to fly over to KLVK on Saturday mornings this summer to hang out with you guys and of course will not miss the EAA Chapter 663 BBQ's.

All the holes are finally filled. The 3500's will be upgraded to 4500's soon and the GPS400 will be swapped with a GNS430W when the piggy bank fills back up. An ADI will also replace the clock.

Panel.jpg

Should be flying in a few weeks!

Lookin' Good Mike! I don't know if it's the camera or the color, but I'm sorta reminded of a Douglas DC9! Won't mean a thing unless you've been around them, those that have will know what I'm talking about! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Lookin' Good Mike! I don't know if it's the camera or the color, but I'm sorta reminded of a Douglas DC9! Won't mean a thing unless you've been around them, those that have will know what I'm talking about! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Well, I was hoping to be compared to the blue-grey panel I've seen in the airbus, not a DC-9 - lol. Actually my camera washes the color out, but it's a lot closer to the color you see in the lower left of the panel.

It does look alot like a -9

DC-9 that is. Brought back old memories just thinking about that lovely color as a panel background. Do your ears pop when you rotate like they did in the -9?

Well, I was hoping to be compared to the blue-grey panel I've seen in the airbus, not a DC-9 - lol. Actually my camera washes the color out, but it's a lot closer to the color you see in the lower left of the panel.

You're right...it does kind of look like the panel color in the sparky's. That being said, we wouldn't really want to compare your panel to any of the heavy iron, you have way more goodies than they do!

Cheers,
Stein

RV vs Airbus or DC-9

DC-9 or Airbus...I flew both and I gotta tell you...

I'll take this one over them anytime....:) Beautiful...

I saw this (above pic) with my own eyes while visiting family in MN. All I can is, that looks so cool.

Panel is finally done! I haven't lit it up yet, but that's just around the corner!

4-29-09-002w.jpg

The light is VEEERY dim at the end of the tunnel, but I know it's there!

:cool:

Same idea

I hated to not use the channel that came with my quick-build fuse as a brace, so I am doing the same thing and adding it to the bottom of my panel. Great minds think alike I guess.

DWC7A
Working on panel.
Tomball Texas

great progress..chad

Panel is finally done! I haven't lit it up yet, but that's just around the corner!

4-29-09-002w.jpg

panel looks great!....are yu going with a mapbox or somesuch right hand side...or future efis addition?....been following your moves with interest....the light is getting very bright !!!...rgds stanman!

panel looks great!....are yu going with a mapbox or somesuch right hand side...or future efis addition?....been following your moves with interest....the light is getting very bright !!!...rgds stanman!
Hey stanman! Thanks! The right side is for future EFIS expansion...no mapbox. I have side pouches in my interior kit, so I opted not to go with a box in the panel.

:cool::cool:

What's that thing?

4-29-09-002w.jpg

OOC, what's that thing on the lower right, below the panel? A hinged drop down access for fuses?

UPDATE...

Yep - you've probably seen this panel in progress before.....here's an update with more bells and whistles and lights working and the Classic Aero Interior fitted (Classic Aero - superb!)

dsc0123s.jpg

John that looks like a million dollars......It looks like Classic Aero did a wonderfull job, and you installed it clean.....( NICE ) :) I hope my 8 looks that good inside. I see OSH Grand Champion in your future

Panel Status

The new baby has slowed me way down the past few months but the panel is slowly turning into the picture.

It is not a million dollar panel but it will get me there and back in way more style than a typical spam can.

2d6r6c.jpg

c7vuu.jpg

panel

Looks like you are on your way Brian..... heck I don't even have a panel yet....working on the emp. Looks very nic to me

Lookin good

Yep - you've probably seen this panel in progress before.....here's an update with more bells and whistles and lights working and the Classic Aero Interior fitted (Classic Aero - superb!)

dsc0123s.jpg

Jon,

Your Panel has really come together - fantastic. With the interior installed its looking awesome.

Graeme

John that looks like a million dollars......It looks like Classic Aero did a wonderfull job, and you installed it clean.....( NICE ) :) I hope my 8 looks that good inside. I see OSH Grand Champion in your future

Thanks Richard - appreciate the compliments.

Now lets see.....OSH....approximately half a world away but you have got me thinking...???!!!

Grand Champion or not.......I'm not in denial and have to say that I love my little Ally RV baby!

R

JON

Last edited:
The new baby has slowed me way down the past few months but the panel is slowly turning into the picture.

It is not a million dollar panel but it will get me there and back in way more style than a typical spam can.

Great work Brian -

You can look forward to that first RV thrill (other than receiving the kit) when you switch the bells and whistles on! Yep....I made aeroplane noises when I sat in my cockpit with the lights on!!!

Cheers

JON

Not much progress. But thanks to some handy work by Brian(Brantel), I was able to have a full scale print made of my proposed panel. Here's what $20 got me at the local print shop
RV-7build067.jpg

Sure makes the motivation kick in when working in the shop.
Thanks again Brian

OLD SCHOOL TO THE MAX <gg>

Just an update on our panel.
Hope you like the old school.
Notes: Pistons moved, polished and ported:D

My VFR 7A Panel

Hi all,

With the exception of switch labeling etc, my panel was completed just tonight. Planning on a 296 or 396 there in the middle. I like it. Not the best picture to bring out the color. The second shot is just a cool picture I thought. The third is it sitting in the plane.

16bj24i.jpg

fyjse0.jpg

33kdvg1.jpg

Let me add this note: I had Stein Air wire up everything behind the panel and without a doubt it's the way to go. He has been extremely helpful. I have yet to complete my part of all the wiring but all his work is clearly labeled. After seeing Stein's work/labeling, my anxiety went way down.

Last edited:
real old school

img2294a.jpg

this is old school, finished 1999 . the 430 &, trutrak ap were added under the panel. 496 and ipod mount on left and the zaon on top of the glare shield.

Last edited:
hardly a panel yet... just the plan

i keep going back and forth on comm... one comm or two... every time i convince myself that this redundancy in not needed with the current state of manufacturing and electronic reliability i pause and am nagged by the idea of a fault knocking out the only radio during a long cross country flight... yes it can be repaired or replaced without exceptional effort or delay and an outage does not generally offer significant hazard to flight, but it would be terribly inconvenient to be without a radio and have to stop everything to address its loss while on vacation.

picture3hjo.png

Two Comms

Stephen,

I will give you something to think about. If you just want emergency/just in case comm you can carry a portable. If you ever want to get involved in formation flying then I would suggest you get a second comm or at least plan on it so you can add one later. Much of the communication between flight leader and wingman is done over a second radio, if everyone is equipped that way. Food for more thought, as if you have not spent enough time thinking about this.

Cheers

10.7 hours into Phase 1 N14SE gets a new panel

What do you do when your wife suggests that you really need a Garmin GPS with weather? Even though I am only 10.7 hours into Phase 1 a Garmin 696 was immediately ordered; the panel came out and a new carbon fiber panel was vacuum bagged. The plane was down for three weeks for the panel upgrade. It really only took a week of time but I painted my nephew's car in the middle of the project. Should be back in the air tomorrow.

dsc01914.jpg

Jim's RV-7A Panel

http://i25.tinypic.com/34repeb.jpg

It has been a long time since I have posted, but I'm still here, building, and never gave up! :eek: I am posting photos of my panel to show it off, and thank Stein Air for all their help, and wiring harnesses that made this part of the project pretty painless.
This is the Van's stock panel blank, with no extensions, and there is still room to spare.
The labeling is water slide decals provided by Stein, with several coats of clear sprayed over.

Thanks again to Stein Air,

Jim Kirks,
Just finished transition training!

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready to cut....

I finished up the last details/layout last night - hopefully. Sorry for the cruddy picture resolution (TurboCAD doesn't seem export things very well to image formats). A full sized image is here. Anyways, I'm still deciding on the right side, but the left should be ready.

Some Notes:
- The 'E-Buss' switch will have a switch cover - it is just not drawn that way.
- There are some "funny" lines - they are just guides to aid me in layout/spacing
- I've tried very hard to address layout, spacing, and overall cockpit ergonomics.

Pls, if you spot any serious issues, let me know.

aab.gif

Thanks,

Last edited:
There is only one issue I can see, but it's something that is of concern. What is the vertical size of your panel from top to bottom? It appears that your panel is significantly deeper than a stock panel. If it were me, here is what I'd suggest.

You can move the EFIS screen up nearly 1.5"-2". It's always good to put the PFD as high as you can on the panel to alleviate much eye movement. Doing that will allow you to align the radio stack with the EFIS (just for aesthetically pleasing reasons - it looks cleaner).

Next, I'd put the backups somewhere else besides under the radio stack. Perhaps vertically between the EFIS and stack. Those instruments below the radio stack are driving a lot of your extra size requirement that otherwise you just don't need. Doing that also moves the backups closer to your normal field of view and puts the ADI smack in line with your PFD center as well. I'd also throw the ELT remote over somewhere on the other side of the panel. It's not something that needs to use valuable space in front of the pilots side of the panel. Along the same lines, I'd probably think the same thing about the parking brake knob...and I might put the purge valve knob over somewhere near the rest of the fuel controls too. I guess my typical bit of encouragement is that space in front of the pilot is at a premium, so it should be reserved for premium things.

Other than that I don't have much to comment on, it appears you've though it out and your equipment choices are also very good.

I just did a quick photo-chop on your pic because I don't have the CAD drawing. Things are not tweaked perfectly but it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

temprvpanel.jpg

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

A good start but maybe you have small legs or have not sat in an RV7. You really do not need or should want the lower panel addition. There is plenty of space already on your panel. It will make it very difficult to work when you have to get behind the panel and anyone with thicker or longer legs will not be happy getting in and out of the plane.

He's my suggestion, move your round gauges to the left of the EFIS. Since these are all either back-up or non-essential scan instruments they do not need to be in the way of your scan. Lay out all your switches along the bottom in type groups. Switches, at least to me, look silly when they are spread all over the place. The cockpit is small enough that you will have no problem moving things to the right a little bit to allow the switches to run under the EFIS and avionics.

I was very hesitant at first to put my headset plugs in the panel but have been very happy that I did. They are easy to get to and not stewn all about. Don't forget space for your breakers....unless you are brave enough to change fuses under the panel in flight (I guess I'm in trouble now). They look nice when layed out on the right lower panel and are easy to get to the back of them when work needs to be done.

You have a really nice selection of instruments that you will love.

Hi Stein,

Thanks for your feedback. Quite the bargain at $.02. Anyways...

There is only one issue I can see, but it's something that is of concern. What is the vertical size of your panel from top to bottom? It appears that your panel is significantly deeper than a stock panel. If it were me, here is what I'd suggest.

I knew I forget to mention something in the "Notes" section. I've added a 2" extension to the bottom that is recessed about 3/4". Otherwise, the stock panel is dimensionally correct with what is in the plane.

You can move the EFIS screen up nearly 1.5"-2". It's always good to put the PFD as high as you can on the panel to alleviate much eye movement. Doing that will allow you to align the radio stack with the EFIS (just for aesthetically pleasing reasons - it looks cleaner).

That makes 100% sense. I was trying to find a balance of squeezing in the warning/info lights so that they'd also be in my direct line of sight. On second thought, I may not like that especially at night (even though they will be dimable). Off to the side but still within peripheral vision - got it.

Next, I'd put the backups somewhere else besides under the radio stack. Perhaps vertically between the EFIS and stack.

Yea, it's been bugging me a little, too. Panel design is all about compromises, that's for sure. I briefly thought about the DF-II FlatPack but that only addressed 1 out of 3 instruments - so I abandoned that thought.

Those instruments below the radio stack are driving a lot of your extra size requirement that otherwise you just don't need. Doing that also moves the backups closer to your normal field of view and puts the ADI smack in line with your PFD center as well. I'd also throw the ELT remote over somewhere on the other side of the panel. It's not something that needs to use valuable space in front of the pilots side of the panel.

I'll reconsider the ELT location. I stuck it where it was because I couldn't foresee any future use for that space. Not too sure I like it where it is now since I don't have a good handle on what to do w/ that side. I also don't think I want it on the sub-panel, either. I'll give it some more thought.

Along the same lines, I'd probably think the same thing about the parking brake knob...and I might put the purge valve knob over somewhere near the rest of the fuel controls too. I guess my typical bit of encouragement is that space in front of the pilot is at a premium, so it should be reserved for premium things.

My thinking for the parking/purge/start locations was that those are items only operated while starting up or shutting down. I also think that they fall into the normal flow of things when I consider that my right hand will always be near the throttle thus keeping my left on the left side of the A/C.

Other than that I don't have much to comment on, it appears you've though it out and your equipment choices are also very good.

I just did a quick photo-chop on your pic because I don't have the CAD drawing. Things are not tweaked perfectly but it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

You made do a double take when I 1st looked at the picture! :eek: Sure am glad you explained what you did as I was about to blame to TurboCAD for not scaling the graphics properly.

temprvpanel.jpg

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Thank you, Stein. BTW, is their a "max" dimension for the "behind the panel" parts for 2-1/4 instruments? For example, the DFII is 2.5?H x 2.5?W whereas the MGL is actually 2-1/4", IIRC.

Thanks,

Dave, I would agree with Stein on the height of the panel and keeping important stuff, only, in front of the pilot. I have flown in a number of 6's and 7's and always find that I am cramped at the knee area, so tall panels are not good in my book, even though I have average leg length.

Although its a personal opinion, I tend to like panel layouts that maintain common horizontal and vertical lines (c/l of instr's, tops of stacks, etc) have a more pleasing look. So I like the common top of stack/efis.

Moving the warning lights over will not be a problem...they are still perfectly visable, just be sure to have a dim setting on them for nite flying.

In contast to an earlier poster l don't like a straight line or rectangular matrix of all switches. That is not good for ergonmics and quick operation without looking in emergencies. In fact you might want to break up the switch group in the upper left of the panel. Put switches where not only easily reached, but also in small subgroups of similar operation.

The last comment is to spend some time in front of a full size paper layout of your panel and go thru preflight, start, taxi, runup, clearance delivery, flight, landing, shutdown and emergencies and see if switches/controls are natural to find and use and don't require excessive hand switching of the stick or reading of labels.

MP3 input?

Can't tell if it's a breaker or input, but the black dot labeled "MP3" in the lower right is what I'm talking about. You don't need a music input, because your audio panel has one in the front face.

No matter what it is, you probably don't want to label it "MP3". Think about how fast technology changes... Maybe I'm being a little over the top, but wouldn't you think it was silly if you saw a panel labeled "Cassette Tape" in 2009? 10 years from now you may get the same feedback with something labeled "MP3".

Thanks,

Simply amazing...

Mike, Deene, Stein, and Dave,

Since I've been doing this to scale in TurboCAD, I printed out a full sized copy of the panel (16 pages IIRC) and then trimmed and stitched the pages together. To my amazement, the "paper panel" fit into place within 1/16" onto the real panel. Amazing!

With the panel installed, I crawled in, made some airplane noises, sat in various positions, and went through the motions. Here's what I've done w/ your input and my discoveries.

- If using my right hand on the the EFIS's right knob, my hand would have interfered with the A/P source selection switch possibly switching it - relocated the switch.

- Re-evaluated the upper left switches and their _real_ purpose and function. Reorganised/relocated them.

- Re-evaluated what I thought really needed to be in front of me.

- I see the logic. Relocated the backup instruments and A/P.

- Relocated the map and cabin light dimmers off of the panel to other logical locations.

- Lowered the throttle and mixture controls and associated labels.

- Relabeled the 'MP3 Input' to '8 Track Input'. :) Just kidding - 'Audio Line-In' - thx. On a related note, the PMA-8000B install manual says that there are two independent entertainment inputs. The front panel plug is shared w/ Entertainment Audio #1. The 'Line-In' input will be wired to Entertainment Audio #2. This will facilitate listening (or not listening) to music, radios, etc with passengers.

I've certainly sat in front of the computer and tried to think these things through but nothing compared to installing the 'paper panel' in the plane and going through the motions. Those of you approaching this step, I highly recommend do it - especially if it's your 1st time.

Thanks guys,

/\/elson

One thing to remember on wiring for the PMA-8000. They have some audio features for "passengers" versus "crew". In a 2-seater, there are no "passengers", just pilot/co-pilot=crew. I wired up an XM radio unit directly to one of the PMA audio inputs only to discover that it was an input that only my non-existent seats 3 and 4 would be able to hear. I just rewired it back to the other external audio input and all was well.

On a related note, the PMA-8000B install manual says that there are two independent entertainment inputs. The front panel plug is shared w/ Entertainment Audio #1. The 'Line-In' input will be wired to Entertainment Audio #2. This will facilitate listening (or not listening) to music, radios, etc with passengers.

/\/elson

8000B Entertainment Inputs

One thing to remember on wiring for the PMA-8000. They have some audio features for "passengers" versus "crew". In a 2-seater, there are no "passengers", just pilot/co-pilot=crew. I wired up an XM radio unit directly to one of the PMA audio inputs only to discover that it was an input that only my non-existent seats 3 and 4 would be able to hear. I just rewired it back to the other external audio input and all was well.

Hi Don,

I was reading a bit more in the installation manual after yesterdays posting. They sure make it sound confusing, don't they?

Circuit Breakers

I am installing 4 Klixon circuit breakers for my radio stack. How far apart (or close togeather) can they be mounted?

My SCB's are one inch apart but I understand these can be closer then that. I do not want them too close together also.

Thanks for yor help.

Panel version 1 for comment

The mission is day/night vfr. Modern clean and reasonably priced. First draft, start shooting...trying to wrap my head around needs, and layouts.
Goal, glass, ap, modern, copilot able to view basics and really want a map box as i find RV's really lacking in space for stuff.

ipxts9.jpg

Thanks.
New dynon large screen on pilot side, small back up copilot side.
Bendix av80r in airgizmo, garmin comm to come later, garmin trans and vertical power 50.
New mgl comm with intercom to be installed/used first. If not perfect may add audio panel at a later date.
This gives me two glass panels, plus 2 gps, aoa, synthetic vision, ap, blah blah. Mounting the map box as planned is not easy but it looks doable. I know there are some things to add, but need to know if my plans are looking ok or need major work. Need this for spring 2010, so a fair bit of time to modify.

Last edited:
Back