What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

vertical power

All right Alan,

For those of us who fail to see the obvious (me), what exactly does this airframe control package actually do for you?

Does this really have a market for rv's? What about installation time and cost?

In other words will the benefits really out weigh the cost?

Nice panel by the way.

regards,

ajay

ajay said:
All right Alan,

For those of us who fail to see the obvious (me), what exactly does this airframe control package actually do for you?

Does this really have a market for rv's? What about installation time and cost?

In other words will the benefits really out weigh the cost?

Nice panel by the way.

regards,

ajay

Ajay,

I'm quite confident that it will save time and money over an "old school panel". I had 26 Klixon breaker, 7 W32 switch breakers, a 24v-12v convertor, Trim indicators, Trim controllers with copilot lockout, a multichannel dimmer control, and a complex flap control system with steps and instant up in my old panel work efforts. Each of those items was a separate module that had to be wired to a buss. I'm also a dual buss/dual alt airplane and so I had all the complexity of alt/batt switches and cross tie switches. All of the above is gone, replaced with the VP-200 duo (in my case). No longer do I have to "home run" power wires from the devices all the way to the back of the panel, where the breakers were, and then on the batteries.

No longer do I have to develop a "switch flip order" for each various stage of flight and specifically each emergency situation.

Also, now I have full control over the assignment and order of what devices are on or off in each phase of flight, how they function, I can also develop custom "macros" that may program multiple devices as if they are one, plus I can sequence devices or device groups based upon things like speed, altitude, temp, emergency conditions, etc.

I'm all for reducing cockpit workload, especially in an emergency condition. I'm also for providing the maximum amount of flexibility and information that can be assimilated by the pilot if they so desire. In my case, Analog is out, and Digital is in. Yep, I know I'm on the bleeding edge, but that's pretty much everything about my airplane.

Now I haven't really answered the main question "what all is this VP stuff". I wish I could in one word.... As the Manufacture says, it's best described as "having a first officer on board". In my case, its going to remove weight, simplify greatly my wiring, and offer much greater flexibility and control. Any of these items individually is worth it, but in combination, it's even better.

While this might not be for everyone, I'm willing to play beta testor so you all can follow my trials, tribulations, and sucesses. So far, it's been all the later and non of the former.... But we'll see.

Nice vents

Dean:

I like what you did with the cockpit air vents . . .

TDT
RV-10 40025
Finish kit

------------------------------------------------
Passed a major milestone in the building process. Fired up the panel and everything worked without tripping any breakers or frying any wires! Those boys at BS Aviation do fantastic work!

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3735/dscf1047tn8.jpg

Dean 40449

Nice

Jeff, that's sharp! I REALLY like the two-tone thing you got going with the panel being white and the sub-panel gray.

Nice Jeff.

Looks like you have a GRT EFIS matched with an AFS monitor. Any inter-compatibility issues there? GRT recommmended to me that I not mix these, but I never really new how big of an issue it really was.

erich weaver

Traffic Scope

Pete,

I had a 172 and used the Traffic scope all the time. Yes I do love it. Here in the conjested East it is a great addition to my panel.

A really bright day

guys ask about how washed out the screens get-- today was one of those days. sometimes I hold my hand up for temporary shade on the screen.
031507008pf4.jpg

031507009uq9.jpg

031507021sj7.jpg

my.php

my.php

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=031507023pz5.jpg
my.php

edit-- I really worried about painting my panel and having glare or reflection problems. I can't think of a single incident; so I'm happy with my PPG concept 2 coats of base and 2 or 3 clear coats. The color is off of a Infiditi G-30 (35?).

Last edited:
GRT Matched with AFS

My GRT Sport is not matched with the AFS. I had purchased the AFS before the GRT Sport was on the market and I had planned on using the BM Lite but delivery delays made me change to the bigger screened GRT Sport that came available during my wait. Some times delivery delays are good!!

I really like the AFS. Have not used it yet just installed the sensors etc. If I were to do over I would go with a mated pair of all GRT or AFS but I was already down this path.

This belongs to Les Preston (Turbowind)

He wrote:

This is a picture of my RV-7 panel, designed by myself and crafted by Aerotronics in Billings Montana.
The panel has a carbon graphite overlay whose true color does not show accurately in this light. The panel was a true plug and play design, it took 6 hours to hook everything up and it all worked on initial power up!
The GRT EFIS and EIS are well designed and very intuitive. The auto pilot is a Truetrak DGFIIvsg and has a couple surprise features when coupled with the GRT. IFR GPS is provided by the Gamin 300XL and transponder and traffic are provided by the Gamin transponder. Standby airspeed and altitude is provided by the EIS and standby attitude and track by the Truetrak attitude indicator.

Fall%20of%202006%20320.jpg

RV-7 Panel

Here's the panel for 227KV with dual GRT screens, Garmin stack (audio panel, 430, SL-30, and 330 transponder). Digiflight IIVSGV autopilot which is connected to the EFIS. Vertical Power VP-200 Duo system installed to provide engine monitoring, switching and circuit protection. EIS is installed on a drop down panel on the passenger side. The Dynon is used as a backup attitude source. Also installed is XM weather receiver (in the back) and an XM audio receiver (down on the center panel). I mounted the ELT indicator and the CO detector from the back using clickbond posts and some home made clips.

Have about 135 hours on it now, and am really pleased with the layout. Would highly recommend traffic advisories from the GTX-330.

cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
centered panel -verbal

We know that there are steam gages (instruments) and there are glass cockpits (navigation TV's). However there are selfish and two place cockpits. Selfish panels have the essential instruments grouped almost always to the left and switches, brakes, and knobs follow suit. Two place cockpits have left/right brakes, and centrally located everything, and that includes radios and fuel valves. Anthropologically speaking, two place cockpits represent sharing, and teaching, and warmth. They're also rebellion to bureaucracy, that hasn't yet seized apon making left dominant. Two place cockpits are sisters to kid wheels, the second steering wheels that early car builders put in for european owners, who were irked that authority wouldn't let children drive.

panels steam Vs glass

For overcast navigation, venturi powered gyros are supreme. Besides friendliness and reliability, gyros are being dumped at extremely low prices, used. How about 10 and 15 bucks? And what about the quality? Your typical Jack and Heintz has loads of stainless screws so the fasteners never corrode into the castings. Many gyros are built like this. An installation is typically a venturi heated or not, a vacuum regulator (desireable), hoses or lines, and two or more gyros for utter redundency. If I was stuck buying a new RC Allen, I'd still gladly eat peanut butter sandwiches for years, to have one. What about glass? LCD liquid crystal display screens must be removed in extreme cold. You can't leave them in the plane, and you're screwed if the pins bend. Anyone who owned a VCR knows that electronics can break, and your flight display costs a little more than a DVD player. I have a Magellan with airports and it's staying home. A handheld on my lap with a notepad is all I'll ever need and clip it on the yoke or panel? I don't think so!

Les Preston panel

RV_7A said:
This belongs to Les Preston (Turbowind)

He wrote:

This is a picture of my RV-7 panel, designed by myself and crafted by Aerotronics in Billings Montana.
The panel has a carbon graphite overlay whose true color does not show accurately in this light. The panel was a true plug and play design, it took 6 hours to hook everything up and it all worked on initial power up!
The GRT EFIS and EIS are well designed and very intuitive. The auto pilot is a Truetrak DGFIIvsg and has a couple surprise features when coupled with the GRT. IFR GPS is provided by the Gamin 300XL and transponder and traffic are provided by the Gamin transponder. Standby airspeed and altitude is provided by the EIS and standby attitude and track by the Truetrak attitude indicator.

Fall%20of%202006%20320.jpg

Did Aerotronics do the graphite panel with all labels and switches etc ready to instal as part of this "plug and play" deal...or did they just supply the avionics with a harness.

Regards Bob Barrow

Pretty Much Done

It's taken a long time to get this far, but th epanel is generally done except for a couple minor placards. I used frontpanelexpress.com for the placards and they come out very nice. Otherwise, it's on to the engine install!

P5120097.JPG

Here is my panel. Comprised of Blue Mountain Lite Plus, Blue Mountain Auto pilot,
Garmin 430, GTX327, Icom A200, Garmin 296, Vans gauges. BTW I found that all my gauges from Vans were spot on accurate. Both fuel levels perfictly to what I added to the tank and the EGT/CHT were the same.

panel10.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful panel

Jeff,
Love the layout and colors of your panel! Nice job!
Did you cut it yourself?
Ward

Great Panel

Jeff,

great panel, I too love the color, what paint did you use, or was used, for the dark gray?

Thanks,

Peter

Yes I cut it out my self. I brought a can of primer gray into the paint store and had them match the color to PPG's base coat concepts I think. I sprayed the base coat then I added flatiner to the clear coat. Worked quite well.
Thanks for the compliments.

View looking down

Does anyone have pics of the back and/or looking down of the instrument panel, tip up style. I'm interested in how people are securing the back end of there avionics if at all. Thanks

Ok, so it isn't an RV7, but it is a 2 seater that is *kinda* similar

Been a long time coming with the demise of D2A and the filling those 2 large holes on the left of my panel.

Then I went thru a complete redesign to switch to the Vertical Power stuff (those 2 holes on the right side of the panel and 2 very cool *red* boxes behind the seat - see blog link in my signature or www.verticalpower.com

Anyway, I figured I'd drop this in with the similar 2 place side by sides and share a competitions approach to panel layout.

I hope to be flying this panel very soon... You guys talk about the RV grin, in my case, it's the VP grin :)...

I didn't think this day would arrive.....

DSCN1902.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice Alan.

Do you think the Vertical Power screen is going to be close enough to you to manipulate in flight?

Alan,

Are you going to require a copilot to help absorb all of the information that will be glaring you in the face while flying? :D

Really nice panel.

ccrawford said:
Looks nice Alan.

Do you think the Vertical Power screen is going to be close enough to you to manipulate in flight?

Corey,

In a Legacy, and a 7, the "other side" isn't *that* far away :)... I don't think it will be a problem. However, with that said. We'll know soon enough as I get this thing flying.

ps. It's no further away than a "breaker" panel would be on the far right winglet - that was how my orginal panel was designed :)

Last edited:
N395V said:
Alan,

Are you going to require a copilot to help absorb all of the information that will be glaring you in the face while flying? :D

Really nice panel.

Milt,

That is what the VP system is/does - *a copilot* :eek:

RV7 VFR panel

This is a VFR panel with a G3 EFIS from BMA, on center top and the VM1000C in the bottom, the analog gauges are for altitude, vertical speed, anemometer and G-meter, in the center section: SL30, GTX327 and the european garmin 496.

panel22.jpg

Last edited:
Panel Progress

Finally making some progress, powered everthing up for the first time today.

Hope the image posting works. :confused:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

All glass and no round gauges

Blue Mountain Sport, Dynon D-100 and a Garmin 396 goes into the slot in the lower part of the panel. The only round gauge was the TruTrak autopanel head and since that was the only round gauge, I screwed up the drilling of the holes. I recovered by building a bracket and ended up with a square hole just like everything else.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

STeve Anderson
RV 7A finishing
Lafayette, La

erich weaver said:
Uhhh.......Where's the throttle?

erich
My guess is that since this appears to be a Subie airplane (MT electric prop control/ECM light/pump selector switch/heater control) that he chose to use a Red knob for throttle...

Steve?

:cool:

Last edited:
No Throttle???

Good Question. I used the Red knob as my throttle. Chad Jensen is very sharp and recognized the MT prop controller and is quite right, this is a Eggenfellner H-6 application. I have run the engine many times and hopefully am about a month from flying. But I said that last month also. The Egg system does not have a mixture control as the engine is controlled by a ECM, engine control module. This automatically detects proper mixture. It allows 93 octane fuel also.

Here is another shot of the panel.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Lafayette, La.
Hot and humid

Photos

Hey Stephen, nice panel. Do you have any photos or a downloadable video of your panel?

RV-7 - Panel - N212S

RV-7-62 038.jpg

IO-360, 180HP, 1 Lightspeed IGN,1 Slick Mag.
Hartzell blended air foil CS Prop,
Dynon D-180 FlightDeck,
SL-30 NAV/COM,
GTX-320 Xansponder,
GMA-340 audio,
GPS 496 Map,
DigiFlight II AP,
Backup guages,
Aero Elec. Z-11 electrical system,
http://www.n212s.com

Chris Carter, Franklin, TN :)

RV-7A Panel

picture049aa3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
RV-7A Panel
Garmin Stack, Trio Auto Pilot with Alt. Hold, Dynon D100 EFIS, AFS3500 Engine Monitor, AFS Angle of Attack Pro.
RV-7A QB
N279RB Reserved
60% Completed
Bill Souza, Owner
Accurate Machine Co.
Lancaster, CA.

Dual AF-3500's

Just completing this RV-7, dual electrical systems, dual Lightspeed ignitions, Superior XP-IO360 with 4 into 1 exhaust, Hartzel BA.
The dual AFS 3500s installed without a hitch. RS232 communication with Garmin stack, 496, and Digiflight II autopilot was simple and functions flawlessly. Eithernet comm between the two EFIS works perfectly (baro set, bugs, CDI's, etc). Having tested all aspects (several times) I anticipate no problems on first flight scheduled for six weeks from now.

Back