What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bump in fus side

Jake14

Well Known Member
Don't know if this is getting too nit-picky, but after joining the fuselage, I noticed a bump in the side skin where the fuselage joins at the F-01418B Aft Fuse Longeron. Looking closer, this is where the skins form a lap joint on top of the longeron, creating a step. To compound the problem, there are 4 closely-spaced rivets in the shape of a square at that location, the forward 2 being on the lap joint and the aft 2 off the joint, thus creating a step (see p 30-07 Fig 1, where the 2 AD3-5 rivets are on the lap joint).

Wound up drilling out the 4 rivets and the next one downstream and putting a tapered shim in to smooth the transition. Helped a lot, but there's still some slight rippling. As a first-time builder I'm not sure how much this kind of thing will show up after the paint job..

Maybe my riveting technique was flawed here, I used a helper inside the fus with a back rivet set and a large 3lb mushroom bucking bar on the outside which may have contributed to creating the step.

Wondering if anyone else had the same problem...

Last edited:
Same.......... question though, if I wanted to make this area a little less prominent and maybe the odd lap joint would epoxy and micro balloons with a well prepared surface be ok or would it crack along the lap joint over time?
Has anyone experience in this area?

Back