What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 1/4 Transponder Question

LeoKenner

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am looking for an affordable transponder, preferably s mode, that will fit in 2 1/4 inch hole. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations?

The alternative would be that I modify my panel for a tray, but I would like to avoid that if there is a cost effective 2 1/4" option available.

Cheers
-Leo

Trig make just what you want, assuming you can get it in North America. Remote head, main section fits adjacent to antenna. Has AdDB out capability.

Chris

I've been using TT22 Trig transponders for quite a few years both in my RV-6 and now in My Legend Cub. Both have worked flawlessly.
Also removing Garmin and installing Trig saved me several pounds.
Highly recommend.

I'll second Mel's comments. Trig TT22 Mode S-ES transponder with TC20 control head. The control head fits in a 2 1/4" hole while the transponder itself has the same footprint as many altitude encoders. The neat thing is the TC20 control head IS the altitude encoder for this transponder!

Small size, light weight, small power draw and good price. I pulled a GTX330 from the panel in favor of the Trig equipment and don't regret it one bit.

Code Input

I'll second Mel's comments. Trig TT22 Mode S-ES transponder with TC20 control head. The control head fits in a 2 1/4" hole while the transponder itself has the same footprint as many altitude encoders. The neat thing is the TC20 control head IS the altitude encoder for this transponder!

Small size, light weight, small power draw and good price. I pulled a GTX330 from the panel in favor of the Trig equipment and don't regret it one bit.

Sorry to jump in here but I've been considering the same thing. My question is have you found it an issue to input squawk changes in say bumpy weather or when things are busy in a class b with a lot going on?

I've only used the standard Tx where to code input is stupid simple. It seems like with a dial type input there would be a greater potential for mis-entries?

Exactly how to you input the code with the Trig unit?

TIA
Gary

Exactly how to you input the code with the Trig unit?

TIA
Gary
I have the TT22 in a Pitts and transiting military airspace at 1000' on a hot day to fly it to where the annual is done, it can get pretty bumpy. Changing code is no problem.

Starting to rotate the knob automatically flashes the first digit, and continuing to turn it changes the digit up or down with each click. Press the large enter button and it locks that digit in and advances to the next one which starts flashing.

You just rotate, press enter, rotate, enter, rotate, enter, rotate, enter. If the flashing digit is already correct, just press enter without rotating. It is actually a very quick process when you've done it a few times.

It gives you 7 seconds to make an input with the digit flashing before it defaults back to its previous code. I have it fine tuned to the point where I can have the code entered a couple of seconds after I finish my readback!

Last edited:
Back