What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speaking of Cowling Pins...

millsapd

I'm New Here
Greetings All,

I don't know if I'm the only one that's now on the second or third set of cowling hinges, but I'm ready to try something different. To heck with the weight, do they make a form/fit STEEL replacement for those aluminum hinges? Seems every time I pull the cowl one or two "eyes" from the hinges fall out. The bottom hinges are the main issue.

The night before SERFI last year I decided to change my oil. I pulled the cowling and the lower hinge pins literally fell off. The guy that was going to fly down there with me decided he would drive! :p Anyway, I fixed them again... But it's getting old.

If you've gotten advice, I'm all ears. (Those who've seen me, you're not allowed to comment:~)

Dennis Millsap
Diceman
RV-6A, N464DM

If you're talking about the hinges along the bottom of the cowl, on either side of the exhaust exit, you're not alone. The design of the cowl puts a lot of pressure on those bottom hinges. The solution is to remove them and use a plate instead. Rivet it to the bottom of the firewall flange and screw it to the cowl.

I too had the problem with the lower hinges. I did what Randy suggested and have had no more problems. The only mod I will make at the next annual is to replace the #8 screws and tinnermans with 1/4 turn fastners.

Ditto for me too, although mine has skybolt 1/4 turn fasteners all the way around the firewall now. I'll never go back to pins on another RV again!

Cheers,
Stein.

Back